View Poll Results: Which Camera?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • GF1

    21 36.84%
  • 550D

    36 63.16%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 49

Thread: Panasonic GF1 or Canon 550D?

  1. #21
    New Member kriegsketten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Southern Enclave
    Posts
    2,560

    Default Re: Panasonic GF1 or Canon 550D?

    Quote Originally Posted by SHLEW View Post
    3. No company that can manufacture cameras makes a lousy camera. They are different in features only.
    Sorry I can't help but beg to differ on this one... One example, is Nikon S220 a good PnS camera - i.e. take acceptable pictures?

    I've tests it during the last IT show at Suntec... I almost puked at the images though they are having a great sale on that piece alone.

    Before the testing, I didn't think users at Dpreview reviewed it fairly initially, thinking: "Heck, this is "NIKON" we're talking about"?!?... And boy, were they are right on this count!!!

    The important note here is NEVER to buy on impulse, arm yourself with enough information before you really sink your hands into your wallet on any buy... It's your money, spend it or save it! Caveat Emptor!

  2. #22

    Default Re: Panasonic GF1 or Canon 550D?

    hm.. 50% each now...

    hard to decide..

    If i will be using it mostly for travel will the GF1 suits more since its light weight?

    With the dual kit lens will it be enough to take good quality photo?

  3. #23
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,522

    Default Re: Panasonic GF1 or Canon 550D?

    you mean if more people vote for 1 of these cameras, that's what you'll buy?

    How about this:
    Go to a camera review site like dpreview.
    Read up as much as possible about these 2 cameras.
    Compare them physically at a store (electronics store, or camera store)
    List down the reasons why you'd choose one over the other and post them up.
    Exploring! :)

  4. #24

    Default Re: Panasonic GF1 or Canon 550D?

    Quote Originally Posted by skyymanz View Post
    Hi,

    Yup the GF1 have the weight advantage. Its easy to carry. And i will be mainly using it during my travel. The 550D is slightly bulkier but its the regular DSLR which have good IQ.

    Do u think in terms of IQ GF1 and 550D is about the same?
    IQ of Normal daylight shots will be very similar. However 550D does have a bigger sensor. Bigger sensor usually means better low light shots. 550D has higher ISO as well. However, the size and weight of equivalent lens for the GF1 would be so much smaller and lighter. Remember, the size and weight of the camera body is not as significant as the lenses. Looking at the current batch of lenses, they are about 2/3 the size of a normal DSLR lens sizes or less. If you put on the pancake lens, you might even be able to carry the GF1 in your pocket.

    It comes down again to how important is size to you? If you are using it mainly for travel, I would suggest the GF1 since size will be more of a factor.

    But if you don't mind bulk and weight and current features (includes low light photog) are more important, then go for the 550D. But take note, the camera body is just the beginning. If you get a big camera, the rest will come big as well.

  5. #25

    Default Re: Panasonic GF1 or Canon 550D?

    Quote Originally Posted by cheowps View Post
    IQ of Normal daylight shots will be very similar. However 550D does have a bigger sensor. Bigger sensor usually means better low light shots. 550D has higher ISO as well. However, the size and weight of equivalent lens for the GF1 would be so much smaller and lighter. Remember, the size and weight of the camera body is not as significant as the lenses. Looking at the current batch of lenses, they are about 2/3 the size of a normal DSLR lens sizes or less. If you put on the pancake lens, you might even be able to carry the GF1 in your pocket.

    It comes down again to how important is size to you? If you are using it mainly for travel, I would suggest the GF1 since size will be more of a factor.

    But if you don't mind bulk and weight and current features (includes low light photog) are more important, then go for the 550D. But take note, the camera body is just the beginning. If you get a big camera, the rest will come big as well.
    Yup.. one of my main concern is size.. afraid that it might be troublesome to carry so much things duing holiday.

    550d is the usual dslr with big sensor and with the better iso quality it can shoot better with low light condition. so even with the kit lens 18-55mm lens it can perform well in low light?

    GF1 i was thinking using the pancake lens might be able to overcome the small sensor and shoot well in low light condition? was not able to test low light condition in shops.

  6. #26
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,522

    Default Re: Panasonic GF1 or Canon 550D?

    I would say only the GF1 + 20/1.7 pancake lens is a small package. Anything other than that can't fit in your pocket.

    To me, if I want a small camera to take anywhere, I'd use a PnS like LX3.
    If I really want to take nice photos, I can't live without the ease-of-use and ergonomics of a DSLR.

    GF1 + kit lens can't be carried in your trouser pocket, so you'll probably need a small bag for it. Since you have to carry another bag anyway, to me there's not much difference to carry a slightly larger bag with a DSLR + kit lens inside.
    Exploring! :)

  7. #27

    Default Re: Panasonic GF1 or Canon 550D?

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    I would say only the GF1 + 20/1.7 pancake lens is a small package. Anything other than that can't fit in your pocket.

    To me, if I want a small camera to take anywhere, I'd use a PnS like LX3.
    If I really want to take nice photos, I can't live without the ease-of-use and ergonomics of a DSLR.

    GF1 + kit lens can't be carried in your trouser pocket, so you'll probably need a small bag for it. Since you have to carry another bag anyway, to me there's not much difference to carry a slightly larger bag with a DSLR + kit lens inside.
    Hi thanks.. u got a point there. Guess will still have to carry a bag with the lens.

    Ok i have decided to get the canon 550D.

    Which lens should i buy? Will be gg oversea next month for holiday.

  8. #28
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,522

    Default Re: Panasonic GF1 or Canon 550D?

    what lens to get will be determined by the kind of photography you like.
    Do get the kit with the 18-55 IS lens. The lens is cheap and sharp. The focal range would likely cover at least 80% of what you want to photograph.
    When you've familiarized yourself with the basic setup, sit down and list what is it you'd like that the kit lens doesn't provide. Doing this minimizes the emotional effect (ie the BBB virus) that you'd get by walking into a camera store without preparation.
    1) if the kit lens can't focus closely enough, you're likely to look for a macro lens or adapter.
    2) if the kit lens doesn't have enough reach to photograph faraway objects, you know you need a longer focal length lens.
    3) if the kit lens doesn't give you a thin enough depth of field to isolate your subject, you can look at faster lenses.
    and so on and so forth...
    Exploring! :)

  9. #29

    Default Re: Panasonic GF1 or Canon 550D?

    Hi.. Thanks.

    Think i will get the 18-55 kit lens and 50mm f/1.8 lens.

    Do they usually sell u cheaper if u buy the camera from them?

    Btw is there any 3rd party battery to recommend?

    Is UV or CPL filter recommended?
    Last edited by skyymanz; 8th April 2010 at 01:52 PM.

  10. #30
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,522

    Default Re: Panasonic GF1 or Canon 550D?

    Most important is to know what is the actual price of the item, and don't presume that just because you're buying as a bundle, you're getting the best price in town.

    550D kit is probably more worthwhile than buying 550D body only and the kit lens separately.

    50mm f/1.8 is a really cheap lens. Don't think you can save much with the bundle. 550D's crop factor is 1.6, which makes the 50mm sorta like a telephoto lens (80mm in 35mm equiv).

    My advice is to just get the kit lens and play around with it. Use it at 50mm to see if the field of view is acceptable. If yes, then get the 50/1.8 at the end of the month before your holiday.
    Exploring! :)

  11. #31

    Default Re: Panasonic GF1 or Canon 550D?

    For me,

    DSLR is for my own hobby (or an excuse to go out on my own without bringing my wife and kids along).

    GF1 is for family usage, whether at home, outing or family travelling. (My wife and kids can use them to get quality pics and videos without all the hassle, esp with 20/1.7 lens)

    Compact PNS for business travel or just bring out when I am not sure whether I am taking photos but good to have when I need snapshot candids.

    So it really depends on your needs, not what others (be it in forum or review websites or salesman) tell you.
    Last edited by Ouverture; 8th April 2010 at 03:11 PM.

  12. #32

    Default Re: Panasonic GF1 or Canon 550D?

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    Most important is to know what is the actual price of the item, and don't presume that just because you're buying as a bundle, you're getting the best price in town.

    550D kit is probably more worthwhile than buying 550D body only and the kit lens separately.

    50mm f/1.8 is a really cheap lens. Don't think you can save much with the bundle. 550D's crop factor is 1.6, which makes the 50mm sorta like a telephoto lens (80mm in 35mm equiv).

    My advice is to just get the kit lens and play around with it. Use it at 50mm to see if the field of view is acceptable. If yes, then get the 50/1.8 at the end of the month before your holiday.
    Hi thanks for the advise.. will try out the kit lens first..

    How abt the battery and filter?

  13. #33
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,522

    Default Re: Panasonic GF1 or Canon 550D?

    I have 2 original Nikon batteries, but I find I never run flat even on 1.
    I rotate them just for the sake of making use of both. Battery life is really excellent.
    I suppose video n LiveView will eat up more juice.
    Am not familiar with 3rd party batts. Sorry. I think if you really feel like you need a spare batt, better to pay a bit more for canon original batt.
    Filters... well... UV filters are popular mainly as a protector for lens front element. I don't have it on all my lenses.
    Polarizer can be useful when photographing skies at the appropriate angle of light.
    Exploring! :)

  14. #34

    Default Re: Panasonic GF1 or Canon 550D?

    Hi thanks..

    Will be using the video function so i think better to get an extra battery. Original batt seems too expensive. Will go to shop and see how then.

    Think will get a CPL filter to play with. haha...

  15. #35
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Panasonic GF1 or Canon 550D?

    Don't just think that the GF1 is light. Think of it another way. Hold the GF1 with 14-45 lens in shooting position for 10 minutes. Then hold the 550D with kit lens in shooting position for 10 minutes. In which scenario do you think your hand will ache more? Try it. I can tell you, it will be the GF1. It is also about ergonomics, and how your hand rest on the camera.

  16. #36

    Default Re: Panasonic GF1 or Canon 550D?

    A GF1 is only small if you stick to short focal length zooms or a pancake prime lens. Once you go beyond that, it breaks the form factor and its inherent advantage over an SLR. Generally, with most lenses, it does not fit your trouser pocket and is a bit bulky even if you can squeeze into you jacket pocket.

    If you are willing to take a camera in a single protective pouch inside your day travel bag (be it a rugsack, shoulder sling, large waist bag), a DSLR will be as suitable as a GF1.

    I don't have specific information on a Canon 550D, but here are some pictures of a Pentax Kx with pancake lenses. They are not too big compared to a GF1 (esp. one with zoom lenses)






  17. #37
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,522

    Default Re: Panasonic GF1 or Canon 550D?

    looks nice with the pancake lens!
    Pentax K-X certainly very enticing when considering the "value-for-money" quotient.

    That said, if you (TS) have some affinity for Canon, so be it nobody's forcing you!
    Exploring! :)

  18. #38
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Panasonic GF1 or Canon 550D?

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    looks nice with the pancake lens!
    Pentax K-X certainly very enticing when considering the "value-for-money" quotient.

    That said, if you (TS) have some affinity for Canon, so be it nobody's forcing you!
    I just saw the bright reddish pink Kx yesterday. Looks real funky....

  19. #39
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,522

    Default Re: Panasonic GF1 or Canon 550D?

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    I just saw the bright reddish pink Kx yesterday. Looks real funky....
    I don't seem to come across the K-X...

    oh wait... I've been avoiding camera shops to control the BBB virus... that's why...
    Exploring! :)

  20. #40
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    125'10.16"N 10350'11.01"E
    Posts
    1,052

    Default Re: Panasonic GF1 or Canon 550D?

    I think there's really no point creating a poll. You are the one using the camera eventually.

    I will go for the 550D. Because it has a optical viewfinder! I am simply not used to M43's EVF.
    The Panasonic is a rather new system so, there might be a limited choice of lens compared to Canon. But, this would not be a concerned if you don't plan to upgrade in the future.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •