View Poll Results: Which Camera?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • GF1

    21 36.84%
  • 550D

    36 63.16%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 49

Thread: Panasonic GF1 or Canon 550D?

  1. #1

    Default Panasonic GF1 or Canon 550D?

    Hi,

    I am looking for a entry system camera. Thinking of getting either GF1 or 550D. Can the expert give me ur view? which is better?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    AMK/YCK
    Posts
    28

    Default Re: Panasonic GF1 or Canon 550D?

    Test both and see which one you like better. I personally prefer the 550D as it is faster and more choice of glasses for more shooting options.
    FM2 / P5100

  3. #3

    Default Re: Panasonic GF1 or Canon 550D?

    Tried both camera.. all looks good..

    Juz that GF1 is very light compare to 550d and have the nice pancake lens.

    550d is the regular dslr which got many things to play around and shoot full HD video.

    Hard to decide.

  4. #4
    Senior Member engrmariano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Rivervale
    Posts
    3,532

    Default Re: Panasonic GF1 or Canon 550D?

    my personal preference is 550D

  5. #5

    Default Re: Panasonic GF1 or Canon 550D?

    Hi all,

    Thanks for the vote. Currently 3 for GF1 and 2 for 550D. Haha.. tought decision.

    For GF1 will get the pancake and 14-45mm lens.

    For 550d will get the 18-55mm lens. Any other lens like the pancake lens to recommend?

  6. #6

    Default Re: Panasonic GF1 or Canon 550D?

    another vote for the 550D, from a happy 500D user just my opinion
    Check out my blog: pixelogist.me

  7. #7

    Default Re: Panasonic GF1 or Canon 550D?

    Its definitely GF-1 for me.

    The best camea is one that you will be it around to take pics. The usual dslr are too heavy and bulky to carry around daily. With the GF-1 and its pancake len, bringing it around is such a breeze and it also had great picture quality and also its HD video quality. However, its has its cons too. Like no built-in IS and not suitable for sports photography etc.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Panasonic GF1 or Canon 550D?

    Which is more important to you? Portability or existing range of lenses? Are you a now, now, now kinda person or can you wait?

    In my opinion, if you are just starting out and do not mind the lack of lenses for the micro 4/3s now, go for the GF1 and grow with the system. You will be thankful when you go travelling. Lenses will slowly be developed for it as you go along.

    If you are a now, now, now kinda person and want to get really serious about all aspects of photography now, then I would advice you to go for the 550D cos all (or almost all) the equipment and features (lenses, accessories, 1080p video etc) are already available. If you can slowly grow with a system, go for the GF1.

    So weigh your options and choose the one that suits you more.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Panasonic GF1 or Canon 550D?

    Quote Originally Posted by cheowps View Post
    Which is more important to you? Portability or existing range of lenses? Are you a now, now, now kinda person or can you wait?

    In my opinion, if you are just starting out and do not mind the lack of lenses for the micro 4/3s now, go for the GF1 and grow with the system. You will be thankful when you go travelling. Lenses will slowly be developed for it as you go along.

    If you are a now, now, now kinda person and want to get really serious about all aspects of photography now, then I would advice you to go for the 550D cos all (or almost all) the equipment and features (lenses, accessories, 1080p video etc) are already available. If you can slowly grow with a system, go for the GF1.

    So weigh your options and choose the one that suits you more.
    Hi,

    Yup the GF1 have the weight advantage. Its easy to carry. And i will be mainly using it during my travel. The 550D is slightly bulkier but its the regular DSLR which have good IQ.

    Do u think in terms of IQ GF1 and 550D is about the same?

  10. #10

    Default Re: Panasonic GF1 or Canon 550D?

    I'm not too sure about 550D but you can check out some of the pics taken with GF-1 on the following link

    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showt...590304&page=14

  11. #11
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,522

    Default Re: Panasonic GF1 or Canon 550D?

    Think about the recommended technique for hand-holding the camera steady to get a sharp photo, and then picture yourself doing that with the GF-1.
    Exploring! :)

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Of This Sunny Island
    Posts
    132

    Default Re: Panasonic GF1 or Canon 550D?

    550d for me! 1x happy 550d user here =)
    Canon EOS 550D
    Passion will make you crazy, but is there any other way to live?

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Teck Whye
    Posts
    964

    Default Re: Panasonic GF1 or Canon 550D?

    Hi,
    Like all nerds who jump into new product launches after being bombarded by full page ads daily, I bought a GF-1 with almost all the lenses (except the macro and 14-140mm) in Sept last year. I had been a P & S camera user for almost 20 years and suddenly got the photography bug!!

    I sold off the GF-1 two weeks ago with the 14-45mm kit lens and bought a brand new (old model) Lumix G-1.

    These are my reasons:
    1. I do not take videos. The GF-1 has video - the G-1 has no video. They share the same m4/3 sensor.
    2. The GF-1 is not small and light -as touted. If you are serious with photography and goes out on photo-shoots with a full complement of lenses and a tripod, I can assure you the total weight is quite a load!!
    3. After reading a fair bit on taking creative shots and after attending a photography class, I realised that a flip and tilt LCD is one of the most useful part of a DSLR. It allows you to take shots that are impossible with either VF or fixed LCD. The G-1 has that feature.
    4. Presently, the G-1 is the smallest and cheapest m4/3 system camera with LCD & in-built VF. If you like to take video, the new model G-2, which is an upgrade of the G-1 has it.

    The lesson I have learnt in camera buying is:
    1. Learn the ropes (some photography lessons and literature) first.
    2. Decide what you want later. Remember, once you settle for one make and built up the lens population, it will be very costly to change camera make.
    3. No company that can manufacture cameras makes a lousy camera. They are different in features only.

    Hope the above is not boring.

    Regards.
    LEW

  14. #14

    Default Re: Panasonic GF1 or Canon 550D?

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    Think about the recommended technique for hand-holding the camera steady to get a sharp photo, and then picture yourself doing that with the GF-1.
    Hi.. dun get wat u mean..

  15. #15

    Default Re: Panasonic GF1 or Canon 550D?

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnZee View Post
    550d for me! 1x happy 550d user here =)
    How much u buy ur 550D? which lens?

  16. #16

    Default Re: Panasonic GF1 or Canon 550D?

    Quote Originally Posted by SHLEW View Post
    Hi,
    Like all nerds who jump into new product launches after being bombarded by full page ads daily, I bought a GF-1 with almost all the lenses (except the macro and 14-140mm) in Sept last year. I had been a P & S camera user for almost 20 years and suddenly got the photography bug!!

    I sold off the GF-1 two weeks ago with the 14-45mm kit lens and bought a brand new (old model) Lumix G-1.

    These are my reasons:
    1. I do not take videos. The GF-1 has video - the G-1 has no video. They share the same m4/3 sensor.
    2. The GF-1 is not small and light -as touted. If you are serious with photography and goes out on photo-shoots with a full complement of lenses and a tripod, I can assure you the total weight is quite a load!!
    3. After reading a fair bit on taking creative shots and after attending a photography class, I realised that a flip and tilt LCD is one of the most useful part of a DSLR. It allows you to take shots that are impossible with either VF or fixed LCD. The G-1 has that feature.
    4. Presently, the G-1 is the smallest and cheapest m4/3 system camera with LCD & in-built VF. If you like to take video, the new model G-2, which is an upgrade of the G-1 has it.

    The lesson I have learnt in camera buying is:
    1. Learn the ropes (some photography lessons and literature) first.
    2. Decide what you want later. Remember, once you settle for one make and built up the lens population, it will be very costly to change camera make.
    3. No company that can manufacture cameras makes a lousy camera. They are different in features only.

    Hope the above is not boring.

    Regards.
    LEW
    Hi..

    Thanks for ur view. I am looking for one with video capability. Narrow down to these two model. Much more things to learn for me after i buy.

  17. #17
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,522

    Default Re: Panasonic GF1 or Canon 550D?

    Quote Originally Posted by skyymanz View Post
    Hi.. dun get wat u mean..
    Well, one of the recommended techniques to hand-holding a camera steady is to hold the camera firmly with both hands, tuck both arms as close as possible to your body and rest the camera against your head for extra stability...
    try to imagine doing that with a GF-1.
    You probably can't unless you buy the electronic viewfinder accessory.
    Exploring! :)

  18. #18

    Default Re: Panasonic GF1 or Canon 550D?

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    Well, one of the recommended techniques to hand-holding a camera steady is to hold the camera firmly with both hands, tuck both arms as close as possible to your body and rest the camera against your head for extra stability...
    try to imagine doing that with a GF-1.
    You probably can't unless you buy the electronic viewfinder accessory.
    Oh.. yah the GF1 dun come with EVF.. I guess u mean taking with GF1 with the :live" view will be shaky. does the OIS helps?

  19. #19

    Default Re: Panasonic GF1 or Canon 550D?

    GF1 seems to be the best pick..

  20. #20
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,522

    Default Re: Panasonic GF1 or Canon 550D?

    Quote Originally Posted by skyymanz View Post
    GF1 seems to be the best pick..
    depends what criteria you judge it by...
    Exploring! :)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •