Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 115

Thread: Miss Singapore Universe

  1. #1

    Thumbs down Miss Singapore Universe

    Year in and year out, we see all the glam, all the fad, all the young and aspiring in the contest. However, our Miss Singapore Universe never won anything once they attempt on the international stage- since my dad's days.

    Is it because Singaporean girls simply cannot make it? Or is it that our men had really bad taste?

    Sometimes I wonder how in the world the yearly finalist can win at the first place... not just they look flat and aneroxic, their intelligence seems like derived from text-books.

    Sometimes I can't help but associate our Miss Singapore with our pathetic S-league.

    What do you think?

  2. #2

    Default

    dude...pray why so pessimistic? u need to cheer up a bit =) at least people bother to organise soemthign of an event liek that and at least the yougn ladies bother to take part.
    imagine theres' no such thing at all?...life will be more borign i guess

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eyes
    Year in and year out, we see all the glam, all the fad, all the young and aspiring in the contest. However, our Miss Singapore Universe never won anything once they attempt on the international stage- since my dad's days.

    Is it because Singaporean girls simply cannot make it? Or is it that our men had really bad taste?

    Sometimes I wonder how in the world the yearly finalist can win at the first place... not just they look flat and aneroxic, their intelligence seems like derived from text-books.

    Sometimes I can't help but associate our Miss Singapore with our pathetic S-league.

    What do you think?
    Alot of pretty/clever ladies from all over the world. Whether Singaporean girl win anything or not doesn't mean anything Event Miss Hong Kong, only lee Jia Xin success

  4. #4

    Default

    Heaven, Earth and Human factors .... 3 in 1 then can win ah ..
    AMPA * WPPI * J team

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clive
    dude...pray why so pessimistic? u need to cheer up a bit =) at least people bother to organise soemthign of an event liek that and at least the yougn ladies bother to take part.
    imagine theres' no such thing at all?...life will be more borign i guess

    Maybe we need to sack the regular judges. Maybe we need Simon Cowell up in the panel of judges.

    What's the point of organising something for the sake of organising? The whole world now knows women from Singapore always can't make it.

    Personally I think the regular judges should be sacked and stop all the commericial profitability politics influencing the results.

    Sometimes even by watching the Miss Universe programme on TV is kinda insulting when you discern the standards of choices made by the judges.

  6. #6

    Default

    ok...=)
    then what would you like to see?

  7. #7

    Default

    If I am not wrong, in countries that won frequently (or at least in the top places) e.g. Venezuala, there is a whole industry supporting beauty pageants.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by juste_millieu
    Alot of pretty/clever ladies from all over the world. Whether Singaporean girl win anything or not doesn't mean anything Event Miss Hong Kong, only lee Jia Xin success

    What's the whole point of being part of a competition when you're fully certain you can't win? The one that probably win is the slimming and beauty agencies that sponsored the event.

    Every Miss Universe we sent are short, aneroxic, flat, and spoon fed with answers. How are we suppose to even hope for a miracle?

    It's getting so mono and boring that sometimes I feel shy when overseas friends ask me anything about Singaporean women.

  9. #9

    Default

    i guess everyone or anyone is special in the own way.. you can't probably say that all is bad coz of one competition... everyone is unique in their own special way... so don't be shy to list out the good things abt singaporean women if asked...

    btw.. i'm not a singaporean...

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clive
    ok...=)
    then what would you like to see?
    I expect women taller (bench-marking our caucasian counter part) so that they don't look like some kinda shortie on stage when competing.

    Women who is well endowed and not those unnatural aneroxic bone ladies to challenge the built or the rest of the competitors.

    Women who are confident yet not arrogant, who got brains to think and not provide those unitelligeble feed and vomit answers on stage.

    Women who has powerful feminine appeal. Naturally sexy, don't need to try to be sexy. Someone who loves alot and expresses it naturally.

    (ignore my grammer and tenses; thinking of the event itself makes one feel short-changed- we deserve better)
    Last edited by eyes; 26th March 2004 at 07:32 PM.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iceberg
    i guess everyone or anyone is special in the own way.. you can't probably say that all is bad coz of one competition... everyone is unique in their own special way... so don't be shy to list out the good things abt singaporean women if asked...

    btw.. i'm not a singaporean...

    I'm not saying all Sg women are bad. But the ones that represents us in the international scene is always that heidous.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eyes
    I'm not saying all Sg women are bad. But the ones that represents us in the international scene is always that heidous.
    Oh come on, not all of them are that bad. Granted some are quite terok, but some are quite ok wat. Anyway, a tiny country with a population of 4 million, how many beauties you expect?

    And besides, why must a woman be tall & busty to win? Just 'cos ang moh are tall & got big breast, doesn't mean that our Asian women must look like them wat. Frankly I like our Asian women the way they are & see no need for them to be tall & have big boobs. If the mat salleh don't know how to appreciate Asian women, its their loss, not our's. Balls to them!

  13. #13

    Default

    I was once philosophical about the concept of beauty just as in the local footballers. But unfortunately, the end of the day, statistic rules: you can't win.

    But unlike football which at most you get a tag of having lousy players, regular fall-out of our representitive comes with a tag of 'one of the countries where ugly people came from.'

    It's totally embarassing.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eyes
    I was once philosophical about the concept of beauty just as in the local footballers. But unfortunately, the end of the day, statistic rules: you can't win.

    But unlike football which at most you get a tag of having lousy players, regular fall-out of our representitive comes with a tag of 'one of the countries where ugly people came from.'

    It's totally embarassing.
    But you see, beauty is subjective. Many ppl are of the view that in order to be a beauty, you must be tall & have big breasts. I beg to differ & I'm sure there are those who agree with me. I'm not saying all our beauty queens are attractive but there are some (such as Jaime Teo & Joanne Peh to name a few) who are quite good looking. Problem is they don't fit in the mat salleh's definition of beauty.

    To the mat salleh, its breasts & height. If you don't have them, doesn't matter how good looking you are, you're not going to win. Simple as that.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wheek
    But you see, beauty is subjective. Many ppl are of the view that in order to be a beauty, you must be tall & have big breasts. I beg to differ & I'm sure there are those who agree with me. I'm not saying all our beauty queens are attractive but there are some (such as Jaime Teo & Joanne Peh to name a few) who are quite good looking. Problem is they don't fit in the mat salleh's definition of beauty.

    To the mat salleh, its breasts & height. If you don't have them, doesn't matter how good looking you are, you're not going to win. Simple as that.

    I think it's more than physique that they have an upper hand on us. They know how to deal with questions with alot of EQ knows how to draw on life experiences. When you hear the way our contestants answers... probably they'll leave you with an empty nutshell feeling.

    Besides, they knows what being sexy in naturale. Our girls more often or not try so hard that it becomes pretty obvious that they're faking it.

    Try doing studio more often and you'll get the point I'm talking about.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    North-East
    Posts
    237

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eyes
    I was once philosophical about the concept of beauty just as in the local footballers. But unfortunately, the end of the day, statistic rules: you can't win.

    But unlike football which at most you get a tag of having lousy players, regular fall-out of our representitive comes with a tag of 'one of the countries where ugly people came from.'

    It's totally embarassing.
    why get embarassed with no miss world for sg? typically kiasu/*** mentality.
    maybe our government shld "import" some beauties from South America and give them citizenship so we may get a Ms World in a couple of years!
    Though we dont get many beauties here, but we do have many successful businesswomen in the Forbes/Fortune category, many more than the South American women. You can't win all the times.

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eyes
    I think it's more than physique that they have an upper hand on us. They know how to deal with questions with alot of EQ knows how to draw on life experiences. When you hear the way our contestants answers... probably they'll leave you with an empty nutshell feeling.

    Besides, they knows what being sexy in naturale. Our girls more often or not try so hard that it becomes pretty obvious that they're faking it.

    Try doing studio more often and you'll get the point I'm talking about.
    I don't have to do studio more often. I am aware that many (not all though) or our beauty contestants appear shallow esp during Q & A. But what do you expect from years of spoon feeding? So in that sense its not really their fault.

    But sometimes its a fine line between beauty & brains. Do u choose the gal who is less chio but answers Q & A better, or the hotter one who's Q & A was a total embarrasment? Ideally, choose the gal with both brains & beauty but sometimes such a contestant doesn't exist.

    As for them supposedly faking, well once again not all of them do it. And secondly, it could be due to a lack of exposure. They are not used to such a large audience, let alone a major beauty pageant like this. So that could result in some of them trying too hard to look sexy.

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lauLEE
    why get embarassed with no miss world for sg? typically kiasu/*** mentality.
    maybe our government shld "import" some beauties from South America and give them citizenship so we may get a Ms World in a couple of years!
    Though we dont get many beauties here, but we do have many successful businesswomen in the Forbes/Fortune category, many more than the South American women. You can't win all the times.
    Agreed! You can't have the cake & eat it too. I mean, even a country like the US can't have anything. Sure they are rich. Sure they have many "beauties". But they're also the main target of terrorists. And there are also many homeless ppl in the streets.

    There is no perfect country quite frankly. So none of our beauty contestants have won so far. Big deal. So our soccer team sucks & blows. Big whoop! Our country is only 39 years old & look how far we have come so far. Isn't that some thing to be proud of?

    And this tiny red dot has produced someone who Time magazine hailed as one of Asia's "Small Wonders" and a "bona fide prodigy". I'm refering to 11 year old pianist extraordinaire Abigail Sin.

    To be honest, I'm not concerned at all whether S'pore will ever produce a Ms World or Ms Universe 'cos there are lots more important things than a beauty contest.

  19. #19

    Default

    tall/big bust doesn't ganrantee winning. now i watch Top MOdel on monday 10pm. 1st 3 eliminated are among the more chio/gd body kind, left behind got one fat bitch(robin),one skinny flat one(elyse). why is that so? i'm rooting for elyse to go far even though she's not the convetional bikini models.

    well, models pageants may be different from beauty pageants. bernice wong may not be the most chio winner yet, but she has character. most of the contestants are 'picked from the road', or many of those who signed up have little or no pior experience. u can't expect to change a goose into a swan in a few weeks.

    yes it is painful to watch our beauty pageants, it is easier to laugh at it. singapore do not value beauty pageants etc as much as say...sports/technology/arts etc. countries like India have pageant schools. if u train day in and day out potentials to become ms universe contenders, u're bound to get a winner one day. and india has won many times!

    and sad to conclude, we aint going to see any improvements to ms singapore anytime soon.

    so, eyes, u can close your eyes.

  20. #20

    Default

    dude..u like non-sg/caucasian ladies more? =)

    i think we can subclassify this topic on

    1. non-sg beauty contestants/ non-sg beauty pageant systems
    2. sg ladies that participate in beauty pageants
    3. sg ladies in general

    personally my view of sg ladies, whether they are whatever kind of pattern... is that they are ok. really no need to be too critical of them(will spare the details)

    [maybe its coz im in ORD mood thats why suddenly my mind gets very clear and i forego alot of non-essential stuff...kinda like cruising high on a wave...also i guess it coz the rigours of armylife has gradually made a major impact on my psychology such that...a lot alot a lot of things dont really matter now. what matters is to live life as u r. arg...dunno how to describe..,its kinda like soem enlightenment thingy. soemthign like returning to innocence that kind of feeling. ]

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •