Thread: My first attempt at macro

Default My first attempt at macro

Please be lenient cuz it's my first try with the raynox!

1. In what area is critique to be sought?
    Exposure, contrast, composition and sharpness

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    Err...bring out the beauty in the tiny grasshopper?

3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    Was walking around my estate to try out my new raynox and found this tiny grasshopper (around 1-2 cm big)

4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    I thought the grasshopper looked abit dull compared to the leaf, and I might have done too much sharpening
    Last edited by brapodam; 15th April 2010 at 06:14 AM.

Default Re: My first attempt at macro

your first attempt seems not very successful, down here.

Quote Originally Posted by cabbySHE View Post
    your first attempt seems not very successful, down here.
    Erm in what way? Or is the whole picture screwed up? Saying it's not very successful doesn't help much lol

Sorry I dun think its sharp enough in my point of view. Maybe if it was a bit more close up and in the front would be better

Quote Originally Posted by bucsy View Post
    Sorry I dun think its sharp enough in my point of view. Maybe if it was a bit more close up and in the front would be better
    Would have liked to go closer but this was at the minimum focus distance already, the grasshopper was tiny, only around 1 to 2 cm, so yeah. And kit lens plus raynox isn't the best macro setup out there so that's the sharpest I could get.

Thanks for the comment though!

I'd say this is a good shot and it is macro. I don't get how a shot that magnifies a tiny subject enough for you to see details that you can't without magnification fails as a macro shot. Heck I was able to count the 40+ spots on that grasshoppers 2nd leg on his right. Maybe they're implying you use a microscope?

I think the image is over sharpened or shot at slightly high ISO, can see some noise in the bokeh area even in this size. Did u check it out at 100%? Nice shot though. Just my 2 cents worth.

I think the image isn't natural.

There's halo around the grasshopper and I think you did too much sharpening as well.

Yeah, I think it's over sharpened. Contract could be too strong too. These result in unnatural look.

Quote Originally Posted by photobugg View Post
    Yeah, I think it's over sharpened. Contract could be too strong too. These result in unnatural look.
    Yeah I think so too, but the original shot was horrible as the colours were totally flat...And quite soft also

btw, why gravedig? I thought this would've been in the 2nd page of this sub-forum alr...

Since it is your first try, I'll say not bad. A few things you can do to improve the shot.

1) Use a smaller aperture as DOF is quite shallow.

2) Try to get yourself parallel to the subject or you can go heads on with it for some interesting shot.

3) Making you get the exposures right will save you time on PP.

4) PP with good understandings of where you want to improve. This will prevent problems like oversharpening or halos.

5) Know you camera's ISO's noise handling level well. Though it better to have a noisy shot than no shots but I rather you spend more time understanding your camera capabilities and making use of them well. If the camera is not able to handle noise well at example, ISO800 or above, then you have to make sure than you have the right shutter & aperture for ISO below 800. This will help you to create many good shots to come.

Hopes the above helps .