Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I am thinking of jumping from nikon to canon

Default Re: I am thinking of jumping from nikon to canon

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    i) marketing, always slower (announced but no stocks)
    Always? Little bit like the 70-200 IS II then?

Not meaning to champion Nikon, just pointing out that that specific point is not an absolute. And it's not something that is set in stone, so it could be a different story at some point in the future.

i am thinking of jumping from pentax to hello kitty cam

all the little girls i know seem to prefer that camera, i want to impress them

Don't worry about jumping, only find the real reason why you need to make the jump. Both Canon and Nikon are great camellers and each has their strength and weaknesses. I started out with a Canon and now I also shoot with Nikon. My personal opinion on this 2 systems are listed below;

Nikon
    - Have many impressive sharp lenses (native)
    - Body mechanical function especially auto-focus is generally faster
    - Some say good egonomics e.g. like almost has a button for everything you need to set (not my cup of tea though, I'm absent minded)
    - Image quality wise are mostly known to be vibrant and colorful (if you like the saturation)
    - EV bracketing has higher range
    - CLS
    - Better on camera image processing

Canon
    - Higher megapixel (which you can optimsed - try shooting with a medium format lens)
    - Beside some good copy of prime lenses, it has a bigger lens mouth which is adaptable for a large array of non-native lenses which includes Carl Zeiss, Leica and even Nikkor.
    - Function and setting are grouped, but for me it works better as having to scroll through the menu, it becomes a reminder of sort if there are other setting I will also need to adjust. (see, absent minded pple like me gets reminder of other parameter needing attention due to changes made in one)
    - Generally allow a higher degree to tweak your camera setting which allow me to preset (only 3) for the different lenses I use.
    - the higher megapixel model really does capture more details, relavant if you are making large prints or shooting experiments (the latter is with the help of non native lenses as the premium grade L lenses are to me not affordable)

Higher megapixel doesn't mean it's all advantages though.. longer time needed for transfer, supposed to give you more noise if not for better noise suppression measures.

I am happy shooting with both systems but I favour Canon for the final image quality and Nikon for it's speed (until the 7D came along, the 40D was pretty fast as well). The lesser focus point on the Canon is preferred as I enjoy shooting with manual lenses.

Its important that you know what you want to experience out of photography as both system are able to provide and each has their little short coming. They are after all tools to help you achieve what you wanna do.
    651D90 Mk II cameller ...... "Ai Camel Mai ?"

The pros and cons will also be influenced by what photography means to you;

Is it going to be your work, or just a hobby?

Eg. Having L primes sure is fun and shiok but does the price justify professional long term usage if you want to only shoot primes? Nikon might be a better choice.

It also depends on how much you charge/how much you earn/how many bodies you are planning to get/what features you need.

For me I'm still contemplating on a jump to nikon from my 1DsII as i feel my body is outdated and i would appreciate the affordability of nikon primes to be mixed with some wide/tele-zooms.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i am thinking of jumping from pentax to hello kitty cam

all the little girls i know seem to prefer that camera, i want to impress them
    Don't need lah. I just use sunscreen to write on your UWA then you will have permanent Nikon watermark, can already, no?

(why does this feel so deja vu?)

Jump.. by all means. Nikon sucks BIG TIME. The blardy camera cannot even take a decent picture handheld in lowlight... all blurrish.

When are you going to sell your Nikon equipments on heavy discount? Don't forget to contact me...
    A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words.
    ~Ansel Adams

jump jump
    jump jump
    jump jump

jump jump
    jump jump
    jump jump

to canon then to nikon then to pentax then to olympus then to sony then to samsung then to fuji then back to nikon
    buyers in buysell will thank you for the subsidy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12