Thread: How to go about making the blue sky less saturated?

Default How to go about making the blue sky less saturated?

Just collected slides from my beijing trip.
    Took them with E100VS, EF28-105mm/EF20mm with UV filter on both.
    While to colours look great, I found that the sky was overly blue, too saturated.

Is there anyway to make it less saturated, other than switching films?
    Would a skylight filter 1A help?

(sorry, haven't scanned slides yet, so can't show u guys)

Skylights just warm up the image very slightly. Switch to E100G or Sensia 100 if you don't like the saturation.

The VS in E100VS stands for Vivid Saturation.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerstorer
    Skylights just warm up the image very slightly. Switch to E100G or Sensia 100 if you don't like the saturation.

The VS in E100VS stands for Vivid Saturation.
    K, in that case E100G would help to tone down the saturation, making natural skies truer to its colour?

tot of trying of Velvia100F too, since it's claim to be less saturated then the Velvia50

Quote Originally Posted by Diablo
    K, in that case E100G would help to tone down the saturation, making natural skies truer to its colour?

tot of trying of Velvia100F too, since it's claim to be less saturated then the Velvia50
    E100G would be less saturated, so would sensia or Astia.

Provia and even Velvia 100F(though lesser than Velvia 50) have saturated colour.

People normally shoot Provia/Velvia/E100VS because they want the deep blue skies that are normally not achievable otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerstorer
    E100G would be less saturated, so would sensia or Astia.

Provia and even Velvia 100F(though lesser than Velvia 50) have saturated colour.

People normally shoot Provia/Velvia/E100VS because they want the deep blue skies that are normally not achievable otherwise.
    somehow, skies are too deep blue for such saturated films, IMO. looked too detached from land.

will carry E100VS and E100G when I fly to Nepal+tibet next week.

could be due to a little underexposure too. sometimes, people underexpose deliberately to bring out the saturation.

Hi,

Even Provia or Sensia are saturated enough to give you blue sky easily. I would suggest you try film meant for portrait like Astia or negatives like NPS160.

Also, using 20mm lens give you tones of blues which are deepest at the corners.

Cheers!

thanks guys. will note all points.