Thread: Using normal (digi)cameras Vs (D)SLR for photography

Default Using normal (digi)cameras Vs (D)SLR for photography

Do you get the kind of weird stares from people when you go around shooting with a digicam that isn't prosumer nor (D)SLR?

I guess when you shoot with a (D)SLR, the public kinda knowledge that you're probably a photographer by profession or someone who is a skilled photographer and would usually ignore you.

But when you shoot with a normal camera, do you feel kinda weird or out of place? Do you get stares of bewilderment? Or when you see people (not tourist) shooting with a normal digicam, do you think "what the hell is that guy doing with that toy?"?

IMHO, non-DSLR lookalike camera have the advantage of taking candid shots, since most people won't really give a damn, as they'd already dismiss you from being a serious photographer!

Actually, I think the most important thing when being a photographer(someone who takes photos, might not be pro ) is that u must have thick skin and ignore others who give u weird looks

Quote Originally Posted by tamade
    Do you get the kind of weird stares from people when you go around shooting with a digicam that isn't prosumer nor (D)SLR?

I guess when you shoot with a (D)SLR, the public kinda knowledge that you're probably a photographer by profession or someone who is a skilled photographer and would usually ignore you.

But when you shoot with a normal camera, do you feel kinda weird or out of place? Do you get stares of bewilderment? Or when you see people (not tourist) shooting with a normal digicam, do you think "what the hell is that guy doing with that toy?"?
    yeah.. my bro went diving with his panasonic Lumix, other divers laugh at him for being silly investing a dive case for that "idiot proof toy". Most of them had a Olympus C5050 kinda stuffs... but when they swap cameras for cross viewing, those "hi-class" diver was pretty amazed on the pictures my bro took...I think good or bad camera is not a big issue, it is how you see and compose the scene to make your pic interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by cheatchu79
    IMHO, non-DSLR lookalike camera have the advantage of taking candid shots, since most people won't really give a damn, as they'd already dismiss you from being a serious photographer!
    hmm, i thought its the other way round? if u shoot someone with a SLR, i think she/he might be flattered instead...

Quote Originally Posted by steel
    yeah.. my bro went diving with his panasonic Lumix, other divers laugh at him for being silly investing a dive case for that "idiot proof toy". Most of them had a Olympus C5050 kinda stuffs... but when they swap cameras for cross viewing, those "hi-class" diver was pretty amazed on the pictures my bro took...I think good or bad camera is not a big issue, it is how you see and compose the scene to make your pic interesting.
    yep, agreed. just that the general public at large still thinks that its the camera that make the photographer...

kinda weird if u go to a wedding as a photographer, using a idiot-proof digicam snapping away rite? the guests would be gossiping behind, the hosts would feel 'cheated'...

Quote Originally Posted by Splutter
    Actually, I think the most important thing when being a photographer(someone who takes photos, might not be pro ) is that u must have thick skin and ignore others who give u weird looks
    I chose to go for my photo-taking at night, so lesser people around, lesser weird looks, mainly are those clubbers that will

yep, agreed. just that the general public at large still thinks that its the camera that make the photographer...

kinda weird if u go to a wedding as a photographer, using a idiot-proof digicam snapping away rite? the guests would be gossiping behind, the hosts would feel 'cheated'...
    Haha... that's true. Remember a few years back when my friend ask me to be his "official" wedding photographer (I am not a professional. Its just that photography is my hobby) cos he was trying to cut cost. I was using my hammerhead flash that day and at the end of the day, my friend actually actually told me that many of his friends and relatives and asking whether am I a pro When I ask him why they said that, his answer was, "because you really look like one with those equipments"

Quote Originally Posted by ccplim
    Haha... that's true. Remember a few years back when my friend ask me to be his "official" wedding photographer (I am not a professional. Its just that photography is my hobby) cos he was trying to cut cost. I was using my hammerhead flash that day and at the end of the day, my friend actually actually told me that many of his friends and relatives and asking whether am I a pro When I ask him why they said that, his answer was, "because you really look like one with those equipments"
    so if u had went with a idiot-proof automatic camera, they'd probably not let u take any photos

Quote Originally Posted by Splutter
    hmmm.... i just did that today when taking photographs for the performance in my school.... walking in front of hundreds of people is indeed rather intimidating... but after sometime, i got too involved in trying to take good shots...

I received weired/amazed looks from others in Japan where I was using my EOS 30... My Japanese friends were in awe with my equipment as nobody at the consumer level uses digicam... Their 'Ketai' (camera handphones) does the job for them...
    Jia Wang... "A photo is only as beautiful as the photographer's eyes can see."
    My Eyes ;)

so if u had went with a idiot-proof automatic camera, they'd probably not let u take any photos
    Hahaha...... maybe Think I should give it a try if I got another lobang next time

Another incident I encounter is during the "liu xin yu" fever. I went to one of the viewing point with all my equipment and tripod. When I walk pass the crowd, some of them actually said to their friends, "look, reporter also come and get ready liao"

Why worry about weird stares if great images you're after?

One problem though personally I would find it hard to justify the investment in time and energy to shoot with less than 6mp digicam because I need the files to be able to be interpolated to 48mb.

But I guess shooting for fun is another matter. The simpler the digicam the better.

i was once 'covering events' for my friend with a Non-DSLR camera cos he couldnt find a proper photographer. Keke.. I must have been the most 'outstanding' photographer snapping away below the stage because i was surrounded by more than ten DSLRs and SLRs.. Quite paiseh at that time but it was fun and i learn new stuff...