Thread: Any user experience on the new quad core imac i5 or i7?

Default Any user experience on the new quad core imac i5 or i7?

As above, i'm thinking of getting either one for usage of photo/video processing and design work. Any users can feed back whether is it good enough for the money spent?

1) What are the pros and cons on this imac quad core.
    2) Is the wireless mouse and keyboard worth it or opt for the wired ones?

Default Re: Any user experience on the new quad core imac i5 or i7?

1)
    Pros:
    It's a Mac.
    Gorgeous screen
    All-in-one means less table mess (yeah right! )
    Don't need to worry about DLL or Registry hell, or those Windoze viruses.
    Do you even need Quad Core?

Cons:
    It's a Mac.
    If you have lots of legit Windows software/apps, it's gonna cost you if you wanna move everything over... (unless you install Windoze of course, but that's kinda of defeating the purpose eh?).

2)
    Don't consider the wired Apple Mouse.

Some folks prefer their own Microsoft/Razer/Logitech/whatever brand of keyboard & mouse combo.

Once you go Mac, you won't go back.
    Last edited by andretan; 25th March 2010 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by andretan View Post
    1)
    Pros:
    It's a Mac.
    Gorgeous screen
    All-in-one means less table mess (yeah right! )
    Don't need to worry about DLL or Registry hell, or those Windoze viruses.
    Do you even need Quad Core?

Cons:
    It's a Mac.
    If you have lots of legit Windows software/apps, it's gonna cost you if you wanna move everything over... (unless you install Windoze of course, but that's kinda of defeating the purpose eh?).

2)
    Don't consider the wired Apple Mouse.

Some folks prefer their own Microsoft/Razer/Logitech/whatever brand of keyboard & mouse combo.

Once you go Mac, you won't go back.
    I'm aredi a mac user in office :P using a desktop G5 with the Mac display + wired mac keyboard and the mac mouse as well. Tat's why i opting for a imac which fits my budget. MacPro is way too out of my budget. Cos my PC at home i been using it for 5years++... wanna replace it and let my parents use my current pc.
    Last edited by kezumix; 25th March 2010 at 05:36 PM.

Wink Re: Any user experience on the new quad core imac i5 or i7?

Quote Originally Posted by kezumix View Post
    I'm aredi a mac user in office :P using a desktop G5 with the Mac display + wired mac keyboard and the mac mouse as well. Tat's why i opting for a imac which fits my budget. MacPro is way too out of my budget. Cos my PC at home i been using it for 5years++... wanna replace it and let my parents use my current pc.
    Ahh, I see. :P

Core 2, i5, i7, don't really make much of a difference if you're not gonna be using apps that will take advantage of the multiple processors.

Get apple care.

Will say that the screen gets a lot of glare/reflections, so keep that in mind if you will be working in a bright room.

Using CS3, it's ok speed but doesn't feel lightning quick.

Current graphic cards in the imac are already dated. (Using the ATI 4xxx series, while the newer ones are 5xxx and probably 6xxx in a few months)

The wireless keyboard is pretty small, so if you want something minimal, it works. I don't like the "feel" of the keys though, so that's presonal preference.

The magic mouse is not bad...

Everything has their pluses and minuses. Macs are just another tool, not something magical.

Quote Originally Posted by andretan View Post
    Ahh, I see. :P

Core 2, i5, i7, don't really make much of a difference if you're not gonna be using apps that will take advantage of the multiple processors.

May i ask whether softwares like adobe suite takes advantage of the multi processors? As i am more like a use software person rather than hardware person... can advice?

Mainly my main usage will be photoshop, indesign, illustrator.

Quote Originally Posted by 2evans View Post
    Get apple care.

Will say that the screen gets a lot of glare/reflections, so keep that in mind if you will be working in a bright room.

Using CS3, it's ok speed but doesn't feel lightning quick.

Current graphic cards in the imac are already dated. (Using the ATI 4xxx series, while the newer ones are 5xxx and probably 6xxx in a few months)

The wireless keyboard is pretty small, so if you want something minimal, it works. I don't like the "feel" of the keys though, so that's presonal preference.

The magic mouse is not bad...

Everything has their pluses and minuses. Macs are just another tool, not something magical.
    I agree with you tat mac is jus another tool. But to me, as i have been using mac and pc in office and home. I do feel more comfortable with the mac in terms of speed, user interface, simplicity. Maybe i spend more time in the office rather than home. All my shortcut actions i am more accustomed to mac rather than pc, always press wrongly with the pc :P

The reason why i am asking this cos i can get the i5 about the rate of the core dual price and i7 slightly abt 200++ more on top of that. So i am asking this question whether to go for the i7 or the i5.