Thread: Newly taken photo by a newbie..

Default Newly taken photo by a newbie..

[IMG][/IMG]

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    Would like feedback on the composition and setting/technique used for this photo.

2.what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    I hope to show the beautiful night scenery of the marina area taken from the bridge near Fullerton hotel.

3.under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    I was walking around bringing my newly bought DSLR with my gf taking pictures of us and the scenery around us.

4.what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    I personally like this picture because of the beautiful landscapes of a city area @ night with full of colours.

Default Re: Newly taken photo by a newbie..

Your photo looks blur (the durian). Did you use a tripod??? And it seems just a tad overexposed to me...

Night shots seldom look nice when shot in high ISO. YOu could have placed the camera on a platform, used ISO 100, and shot with a timer. I could see some hand-shaking here (esplanade not sharp).

Composition wise, the sky could have been excluded(nothing there), show more reflection in the water, include the Esplanade and crop away the right building.

Color saturation can be increased, a little more contrast.........

I have to admit that I don't know how to compose any nice night shots.

But the tilt here is too obvious. Also, you could have tried placing the "shoreline" as the 1/3 mark.
    As for the handshake, you could have used a faster shutter speed by increasing your ISO or even find a support to steady yourself if possible.

It's also slightly over-exposed in my opinion. The white balance is also too warm.

I did a quick fix of your pic to see what could be done: