Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: "Good photos" can be bad photos.. :(

Default Re: "Good photos" can be bad photos.. :(

sharp & well composed photos are easily made by someone that can afford a decent equipment and knows how to apply basic photography techniques. To be a better photographer or to be able to sell / showcare your photos, you need a lot more than that. Thats where the emotion, storyline, feeling, artistic, & etc need to be present.

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    huh... bleh. so subjective.

arts always very headache
    Subjective? Isn't that an important aspect of photography? It is also not uncommon for contestants to tweak their style to suit the preferences of certain known judges. Keep a lookout on the forum after event such as the Canon Photomarathon and you will find disgruntled posts disagreeing with the judges' choices.

So you can decide if you enter to win or you enter to showcase your own style, it will be ideal if its both, but you have to adjust your expectations accordingly.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post
    Subjective? Isn't that an important aspect of photography? It is also not uncommon for contestants to tweak their style to suit the preferences of certain known judges. Keep a lookout on the forum after event such as the Canon Photomarathon and you will find disgruntled posts disagreeing with the judges' choices.

So you can decide if you enter to win or you enter to showcase your own style, it will be ideal if its both, but you have to adjust your expectations accordingly.
    okkies. thanks for the advice.

If a photo captures the attention of many people, it's a good photo. If nobody likes the photo which u think is good, it's just a photo and you have to move on. Debating on own works that is great is not a good photographer in my opinion.

I am never satisfied with my own works. I have hundreds or even thousands of "good" or "bad" photos. Good or Bad is not determined by ownself. It's the public tat decides.
    Last edited by kezumix; 25th March 2010 at 05:20 PM.

for wat its worth, i really like ur first 3 photos.. especially the third one very nice colors..
    Check out my blog: pixelogist.me

Most of us would agree pic #1 and pic #3 are nice but why would your teacher think otherwise ? My opinion is that pic#1 is artistic but that bottom 2 bright sectors distract too much, else it can be perfect. Now for pic#3, colour contrast and composition is good but then the main subject itself has flaws; limped petals. It's like presenting a beautiful woman without a leg. No offense here but just based on what I feel. I am not that artistic myself. Don't be disheartened and reflect on other's input. I think you have great potential, just try again and put in some thoughts.
    Last edited by Old Boy; 25th March 2010 at 09:24 PM.

I would think that whether a person like a photo or not is pretty subjective. If TS thinks it is good then it is good. Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder
    To TS: Important thing is you enjoy taking photos and not to be stressed out over whether other people think the photos are good or not.

Technically, the photos are very proficient. I have not much interest in plant macros so I have no idea how to judge the artistic merit of those, but here is why I think #4 got called a snapshot.

The angle which your subject is facing is suggesting that you took the photo from top down since you can see both the right and left legs. This is how most people are going to view lizard when they are standing. This gives the impression that you came across a lizard, took the camera up, got close and took the picture. Getting to the same level as the lizard would improve this.

Also, lizards flicking their tongue seems like a pretty natural thing to happen so there is no 'tension'. Most of the good nature photographs (or at least the ones i like...) show animals doing something cool like hunting stuff or getting hunted for example. Since you are trying to emphasize the tongue, you could try getting the lizard to flick the tongue towards the camera so that the viewer sees a tongue flicking towards them. That would probably be cooler than a lizard flicking its tongue, which feels kind of mundane. Or you could use a wider aperture to blur out the body to de-emphasize it.

Finally, take this with a pinch of salt. I am still learning myself, so these are just observations from looking at photos that I like.

Good guy can be bad guy too...
    like president, hi-priest, pastor, monk, lawyer, doctor, police officer, judge, professor, lecturer,dean,director...etc, so why not photographs ?

OK! Give you 85 marks!

Looks good to me (maybe except the Lizzy shot)

Talk is cheap, everyone is entitled to his/her opinion. So take it as it is (opinions)
    The best would be for the class to prove the talk and let them give pointers as to what can be better. I'd say that sadly in your case the abstract phrases given by the class doesn't help.

I don't have pointers for you, so I give you a high score

If you find that the class is beneath your genius, you can always change a class

I think I understand how you feel. I don't really get "art" either. Just different taste and point of view I guess. People don't always see things the same way you do. Well, seems like whatever course you picked doesn't really suit you?

I did not see any problem with your pictures. They are beautiful and I love picture 2 of the oriental colors. You take pictures that you like (self expression) or you take pictures other people wants.

I presume in your class there are themes. What is rare to you may not be to the eyes of others without the same depth of interested. E.g a volcanic activity will be of interest to most but a still F16 fighter plane is yawned. You would have noticed that rare nature shots is accompanied by actions. Unless you are capturing a real bigfoot or UFO where the object itself is centre of attraction.

In the last picture, the yellow toadstool will more standout with more visible of the fa chai plant. Else people will think it is just a mushroom.

Thumbs up Re: "Good photos" can be bad photos.. :(

Frankly think the photos are good .. most important I guess is whether in looking at your shot you feel good, satisfied and happy. If it does then it already reflects emotions ...

Like your shots man .. cheers

Wink Re: "Good photos" can be bad photos.. :(

(I haven't read all the replies, sorry, this may be a repetition)

I guess this falls on the old discussion of what is or not art.

In my opinion most of the nature photos lack that extra thing that make the subjects special: technically perfect, but we have seen them thousands of times before.

Sure, if you have the "right" equipment and knowledge your work may be impeccable, but where is that "other" factor? The one that may produce on the viewers a memory of your photos?

And what do you want to accomplish? Maybe you just want to make what you do and nothing more...

Please let me post you some links of "nature" photographers that break that barrier (sorry if you know them already).

Don't give up: some of us have to deal with that struggle repeatedly throughout our lives :-)

http://www.timflach.com/
    (Equus project for example)

http://www.panteek.com/Blossfeldt/index.htm

http://blepharopsis.deviantart.com/a...ggoth-48616954 His photos are almost immediately recognizable because he photographs insects in a studio environment.

http://hengki24.deviantart.com/art/fresh-127278300

http://pedroinacio.deviantart.com/ar...-XCVI-62091752

http://www.mocafico.com/flowers.html

http://www.mocafico.com/ants.html

http://www.mocafico.com/kewgardens.html

http://www.mocafico.com/butterfly.html

http://www.codeforsomething.com/2009...s-photography/

Hope you enjoy them!
    Canon 400D * Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro * Holga

I am assuming this is the digital darkroom class by Paul Kohl?

First and foremost, I think you need to understand that he is someone who has started several photography programs back in the States before he even arrived in Singapore. He is currently a Master Printer for SIPF. Because of all that you need to understand that he has seen a lot of work, possibly more than most members in this forum has.

As much as I understand it is a technical course, I think you need to also ask yourself if your goals in photography are just to fulfill the technical prerequisites. Very likely, he was looking at your prints when he gave the critique. You need to know in printing digitally is many times easier compared to printing from the darkroom. If he hadn't say anything about your prints, chances are that he is satisfied with the print quality.

Of course, he can just tell you your print quality is good and you have good technical skills and then end the critique. But is that what you really want? Instead, I think you should see it as he is trying to push you for more, than just being good technically. Believe me, there are millions out there who are good technically. Do a search on flickr.com. Don't take this the wrong way, but as a photography major myself, I can assure you the shots are nothing mind-blowing, even for nature photography. Are they bad? Nope. Are they great? Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by kiddyduck View Post
    Thanks for your comments again.My photos are still very amateur and need improvement, I do not dare to say these are really good shots however its quite disappointing when others commented on something else that isn't my focus...

Personally I think you need to take these things with an open mind. Believe me, the photography majors go through a lot worse in terms of being drilled for new ideas in our work. I understand that photography might just be a hobby for you and perhaps your only interest is in taking sharper pictures. Nothing wrong with that and you can ignore the comments if that is what you really want. However if you wish to push yourself for more, it would be good to just completely drop all your beliefs and take the next step now. Paul doesn't push those who don't intend to be pushed. See what he says as a good sign, and that he wants you to be more than a button pusher.

Last edited by havocidal; 23rd April 2010 at 06:09 PM.

I am not very good either, but i happen to look at the photos you have taken.

I am sorry but it don't appeal to me. It just looks so flat you know? It just do not have the life and vibrance that people are looking to see. I know it sounds abstract, but i don't know what's missing as well. If i do, i will be a much better photographer today.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    you have to remember that as long as people give you comments with an open heart, you should thank them.

you have to also remember that you can't please everyone.
    I think this two points sums up a lot of things.

We learn what we can, and then we choose.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345