Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "Good photos" can be bad photos.. :(

Default Re: "Good photos" can be bad photos.. :(

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    I don't think you able understand it at this point of time..

lets use an example of writing report and a poem, both are using words, both need good command of language, one describe about facts, one describe about emotion and feeling.

you are like writing reports, your tutor want you to write poem.

if you think writing poem is not you want, you should consider quit the class.
    Oh yes, I will not take a poem class if i knew that.... It's stated as a photography technical class... thats why I took it...

Back to your analogy, I am taking a course to learn how to "hold a pen and write"...

I faced a similar problem when I took up the black and white film photography in NTU ADM.

Essentially, what they want is concept and as what the others have said, the photos have to evoke some sort of emotion or really say something. Otherwise, the images are just but snaps to them.

I feel that the first photo works though. You may want to try building around the first shot's ideas.

Hope you won't take the criticisms too hard. Outside of class, it's basically how much you enjoy your photos that really matter. Personally, I enjoy taking and also appreciating shots like #2.

Just that they won't work unless your concept is stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by kiddyduck View Post
    Thats what I think too... I signed up for the class as it teaches me colour management, photography workflow, sharpening, dodging, burning, post processing... basically, technical skills... and therefore clarity, colours, medium control etc should be the focus... It's hard for me to say a blurred image is a well processed photo with artistic feel...

What is the name of the class? Where is it taught and who is the teacher?

I think you will get a clearer idea of what you have got into if you take the time to think it through again. It's still a PHOTOGRAPHY class, if the instructor is a photographer himself/herself isn't it?

Oh yes, I will not take a poem class if i knew that.... It's stated as a photography technical class... thats why I took it...

Back to your analogy, I am taking a course to learn how to "hold a pen and write"...
    well, taking technically perfect picture is much simple, taking photos with feeling is much harder, and I'm still learning.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

you have to remember that as long as people give you comments with an open heart, you should thank them.

you have to also remember that you can't please everyone.

i don't know, because i don't think anyone is going to benefit much from a photography class that just tells you to "capture well-exposed pictures" and bring them back for us to see.

what was taught in class?

just the bare basics like what aperture means, what iso means, what shutter speed means?

or more? like composition, weight, leading lines, etc?

hi TS,

don't get discouraged. keep learning non stop.

when it comes to art, everyone is right. If someone say it is beautiful, he is right, and the next moment he says it is crab, he is also correct.

Often I don't like some of the photos i saw in book by famous photographersSome are just boring. Of course when they are good, almost no one can match them.

Michael Freeman ( if my memory didn't fail me) said , in fact, non pro took better photos than pro.

u can see some great works here in clubsnap by some members who are really good.

as for me, i still a lot more to learn...

non stop learning!!

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i don't know, because i don't think anyone is going to benefit much from a photography class that just tells you to "capture well-exposed pictures" and bring them back for us to see.

what was taught in class?

just the bare basics like what aperture means, what iso means, what shutter speed means?

or more? like composition, weight, leading lines, etc?
    Yes. Those topics are touched on... its more focused on workflow, and post processing using CS4, Camera Raw to fine tune your images...
    I welcome all comments and I am willing to see things artistically... maybe its just isnt their cup of tea ba...

check out your images from your past posting,
    yes, it can be technically flawless, or rare

but you don't put in your feeling when you take them,
    the photos does not evoke emotion,
    it does not speak the viewers,
    viewers are like looking at photos of a specimen,
    not a piece of art.

this is what your tutor trying to tell you.

hope this make sense to you.

That sounds really difficult to do.... hmm so much to learn in photography

Quote Originally Posted by Justintime View Post

That sounds really difficult to do.... hmm so much to learn in photography
    that makes photography interesting!!

but for a photo to speak, often some description is needed.

those that speak without description are art piece.

pay attention on the first 1.45,

f...e........e...................l

Yes. Those topics are touched on... its more focused on workflow, and post processing using CS4, Camera Raw to fine tune your images...
    I welcome all comments and I am willing to see things artistically... maybe its just isnt their cup of tea ba...
    i don't know, because all of the pictures you posted, maybe they're not my style, because i won't have taken any of them.

i mean, for me, they're all technically sound, but when it comes to area of composition, i don't know if you noticed, but they have the effect of being way too tight for comfort.

just remember, no one starts by producing masterpieces right away. no one. not you, not me, not boy wonder. there is always room for improvement. if i wanted to comment about anyone's photos, even ansel adams, you bet there would be something to say. the day you are content with your pictures (which you seem to be here, which leads to the unhappiness with anyone else's comments to the contrary), the day you stop improving.

cheers.

I understand that it gets a bit demoralizing when your works are not appreciated. This is what i always tell myself:

Compliments and praises are good to have yet they slow down the learning process.
    Critiques are preferred not to have spoken however they are catalyst to any process.

The reason why we took classes and workshop because we want to learn and improve faster. If there aren't critiques and comments, I don't think I will go for the class anymore....

i don't know, because all of the pictures you posted, maybe they're not my style, because i won't have taken any of them.

i mean, for me, they're all technically sound, but when it comes to area of composition, i don't know if you noticed, but they have the effect of being way too tight for comfort.

just remember, no one starts by producing masterpieces right away. no one. not you, not me, not boy wonder. there is always room for improvement. if i wanted to comment about anyone's photos, even ansel adams, you bet there would be something to say. the day you are content with your pictures (which you seem to be here, which leads to the unhappiness with anyone else's comments to the contrary), the day you stop improving.

cheers.
    agree, I have to remind myself my photos are suck constantly.

hey.. the 4 pictures are nice, but not WOW..
    move on and continue to shoot more.

Sorry, I am not an expert, and cannot give you clear direction what to improve.

Hope one day, when you look back these 4 pictures, and you will say to yourself: "wah lau, why i shot until like that? no wonder teacher did not like them.." ..

i wish to share some of my thoughts here. hope the seniors and gurus here don't find it offending.

I don't think one can improve constantly in art... because it cannot be measured fully.

what i mean is, one can improve from taking snapshots till one's pics is being praised by so many people. when one reaches that point, i don't think he/she can improve anymore.. in fact, some art pieces look funny ... and hard to appreciate...

it is not like a 100m race, where as long as u run faster by 0.01 second , u have improved.

hinius ( http://www.flickr.com/photos/hinius/page1/ )

"everyday is another opportunity to suck less"

i can't find where it's from, but i'm quite sure he's the one who said it.

Quote Originally Posted by sfoto100 View Post

I don't think one can improve constantly in art... because it cannot be measured fully.
    i don't think anyone who is really interested in photography will ever be entirely satisfied with their pictures.

have you heard of giacometti? he was no photographer. i had never heard of him until i went to copenhagen and took a short trip to the louisiana museum of art nearby, and sat down in a lecture theatre and watched a documentary on him. i still don't get his artwork, but everytime i see it i am amazed by the fact that this man took not just hours, but days, even months, just doing what he did, to achieve his own vision of perfection.

somehow that struck a chord, and a lot of what he said made a whole load of sense:

All I can do will only ever be a faint image of what I see and my success will always be less than my failure or perhaps equal to the failure.
    Artistically I am still a child with a whole life ahead of me to discover and create. I want something, but I won't know what it is until I succeed in doing it.
    I don't know if I work in order to do something, or in order to know why I can't do what I want to do.
    I paint and sculpt to get a grip on reality... to protect myself.
    If only someone else could paint what I see, it would be marvellous, because then I wouldn't have to paint at all.
    That's the terrible thing: the more one works on a picture, the more impossible it becomes to finish it.
    i think you are thinking that perhaps we are looking for a closure. there is none to be found. acknowledging this , is only the first step.
    Last edited by night86mare; 25th March 2010 at 03:25 PM.

Blog Entries

my 2

only #1 has some potential
    the rest are technically sound good photos
    (the problem is that these good photos can also be taken by many others and thus not special in any way)

i don't think anyone who is really interested in photography will ever be entirely satisfied with their pictures.

i think you are thinking that perhaps we are looking for a closure. there is none to be found. acknowledging this , is only the first step.

yes. i agreed.

at those stages, what the artist think is an improvement may in fact be otherwise when viewed by others.

it is like a graph, it goes higher and higher, and then when it reaches certain level, it fluctuates , sometimes better sometimes worse.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast