Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 97

Thread: "Good photos" can be bad photos.. :(

  1. #1

    Default "Good photos" can be bad photos.. :(

    I was showing presenting some of my well taken macro photos on flowers and animals to a photography class. I was rather surprised with the comments my teacher and other classmates gave...

    The photos I showed were close-ups on flowers and rare captures of animals which I think they made a great series... The comments I got is "It's not just about good photography skills, its more about the feelings and what you trying to express here..", another comment: "Good and precised equipment isn't the way photography goes..."

    I was thinking that nature photography is to show how amazing Nature is and being able to view them up close with fine details...

    Maybe thats because its a course offered by the Arts faculty and the students, teachers are more "right brained" and inclined to the artistic point of view... rather than the engineering students like to talk about the lens, the settings that made these photos, which is more focused on precision and optimization.

    Just wanna hear from fellow photographers on how to make nature photography with an artistic feel... How do we composed things such as plants and animals in a way that show feelings... As what I believe, these photos are hard to come by and if it comes by but its not in a series... That may explain why nature photo series and documentaries take years to complete... and its quite disappointing when some can not appreciate the nature photos this way... and I got very discouraged by their ideas and thinking..

    #1


    #2


    #3


    #4


    #5
    Last edited by kiddyduck; 25th March 2010 at 01:54 PM.

  2. #2
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: "Good photos" can be bad photos.. :(

    show your photos first, or else how we know whether the comments you received is justifiable.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  3. #3

    Default Re: "Good photos" can be bad photos.. :(

    I'm looking forward to see TS's pictures.

  4. #4

    Default Re: "Good photos" can be bad photos.. :(

    flowers have feelings?

    yes please post your pictures! meanwhile dont be discouraged by their comments.

  5. #5

    Default Re: "Good photos" can be bad photos.. :(

    Maybe its about the composition, or the abstractness of a picture that invokes certain feelings to the viewer, not just a 'cool!' response. Just look at paintings and stuff, maybe you might get an idea. Remember, if its an arts class, the teachers are used to seeing certain pictures beyond the superficialities, they want more depth, more thought, more idea, more originality.... sorry quite cheem here, heh...

  6. #6

    Default Re: "Good photos" can be bad photos.. :(

    Quote Originally Posted by kiddyduck View Post
    Maybe thats because its a course offered by the Arts faculty and the students, teachers are more "right brained" and inclined to the artistic point of view... rather than the engineering students like to talk about the lens, the settings that made these photos, which is more focused on precision and optimization.
    I disagree with your statement and I'm also from engineering. If its just about precision and optimization then I guess most people with right tools can produce a good pic.

    Don't get discouraged. Just take others' comments with an open mind.

  7. #7

    Default Re: "Good photos" can be bad photos.. :(

    I teach so I understand what you teacher may be doing.

    He is keeping you in a constant state of asking questions. If he had said "Thumbs up, good work", you are probably just going to go home with a smile on your face and your learning stops there.

    By asking you questions and challenging you, he is forcing you to learn.
    36frames Wedding Photography - http://www.36frames.com
    rueyloon - http://www.rueyloon.com

  8. #8
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: "Good photos" can be bad photos.. :(

    check out your images from your past posting,
    yes, it can be technically flawless, or rare

    but you don't put in your feeling when you take them,
    the photos does not evoke emotion,
    it does not speak the viewers,
    viewers are like looking at photos of a specimen,
    not a piece of art.

    this is what your tutor trying to tell you.

    hope this make sense to you.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  9. #9

    Default Re: "Good photos" can be bad photos.. :(

    Photos are up...

    I guess its all about taking artistic photos or real photos... Its a totally different realm...
    If you post something thats too abstract or something that is artistically blurred and you want to tell the viewer "This is a flower of xx species, rare and near extinction", it doesnt make sense ya?

    For example, #4. I want to let viewers to see that glowing red tongue and the texture of the monitor lizard. The comments I got is "This is just a snapshot where you pick up a camera and shoot because you think its nice"...

    Anyway, I appreciate your comments and encouragements. It didnt make my day though. But its a good experience to hear what others have said... No comments no improvements ... But its a totally unexpected moment this time round...

  10. #10

    Default Re: "Good photos" can be bad photos.. :(

    Quote Originally Posted by Yangzw View Post
    I disagree with your statement and I'm also from engineering. If its just about precision and optimization then I guess most people with right tools can produce a good pic.

    Don't get discouraged. Just take others' comments with an open mind.
    Oh yes I agree with that. The way you compose, the way you handle etc etc...
    I am talking about the clarity, sharpness of the image... However, sometimes in arts, blur and noise are more sought after...

  11. #11

    Default Re: "Good photos" can be bad photos.. :(

    Quote Originally Posted by kiddyduck View Post
    Oh yes I agree with that. The way you compose, the way you handle etc etc...
    I am talking about the clarity, sharpness of the image... However, sometimes in arts, blur and noise are more sought after...
    these are your photos??????

    they are freaking nice!!!! i love it!

  12. #12

    Default Re: "Good photos" can be bad photos.. :(

    For what it's worth...

    I really like your shots, especially No. 3.
    Samsung NX10+30mm, Fuji S6500FD

  13. #13

    Default Re: "Good photos" can be bad photos.. :(

    Quote Originally Posted by kiddyduck View Post
    Photos are up...

    I guess its all about taking artistic photos or real photos... Its a totally different realm...
    If you post something thats too abstract or something that is artistically blurred and you want to tell the viewer "This is a flower of xx species, rare and near extinction", it doesnt make sense ya?

    For example, #4. I want to let viewers to see that glowing red tongue and the texture of the monitor lizard. The comments I got is "This is just a snapshot where you pick up a camera and shoot because you think its nice"...

    Anyway, I appreciate your comments and encouragements. It didnt make my day though. But its a good experience to hear what others have said... No comments no improvements ... But its a totally unexpected moment this time round...
    It seems like your expectations differ from what the class has. Since it's a photography class versus say some scientific biology class, people are probably looking for an emotional attachment to them.

  14. #14

    Default Re: "Good photos" can be bad photos.. :(

    took a third look. i like how you captured the colors, contrast and controlling the sharpness.

    where did you manage to find those golden mushrooms?

  15. #15
    Member Linnl71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    East area
    Posts
    388

    Default Re: "Good photos" can be bad photos.. :(

    I think they are not bad at all..

  16. #16

    Default Re: "Good photos" can be bad photos.. :(

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post

    but you don't put in your feeling when you take them,
    the photos does not evoke emotion,
    it does not speak the viewers,
    viewers are like looking at photos of a specimen,

    not a piece of art.

  17. #17
    Moderator ed9119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,931
    Blog Entries
    26

    Default Re: "Good photos" can be bad photos.. :(

    Quote Originally Posted by kiddyduck View Post
    ... Its a totally different realm...
    If you post something thats too abstract or something that is artistically blurred and you want to tell the viewer "This is a flower of xx species, rare and near extinction", it doesnt make sense ya?
    ..
    well errr...... most things should not be one extreme(Arty) or the other(Scientific) ....... where does that leave middle ground ?

    ahhhhh...... when you can make wood sing ......
    Last edited by ed9119; 25th March 2010 at 02:25 PM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

  18. #18

    Default Re: "Good photos" can be bad photos.. :(

    If you're looking at it more from a fine art perspective... I think only no. 1 is close... composition can be improved.

    No. 3 looks good, but maybe it's not to their taste.

    Important thing is, always know that you are working for your own portfolio... take their comments with a grain of salt.

    Maybe you can start thinking of things symbolically... things don't always have to be shown right in front of you... it can be implied.

  19. #19
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: "Good photos" can be bad photos.. :(

    Quote Originally Posted by kiddyduck View Post
    Photos are up...

    I guess its all about taking artistic photos or real photos... Its a totally different realm...
    If you post something thats too abstract or something that is artistically blurred and you want to tell the viewer "This is a flower of xx species, rare and near extinction", it doesnt make sense ya?

    For example, #4. I want to let viewers to see that glowing red tongue and the texture of the monitor lizard. The comments I got is "This is just a snapshot where you pick up a camera and shoot because you think its nice"...

    Anyway, I appreciate your comments and encouragements. It didnt make my day though. But its a good experience to hear what others have said... No comments no improvements ... But its a totally unexpected moment this time round...
    Quote Originally Posted by kiddyduck View Post
    Oh yes I agree with that. The way you compose, the way you handle etc etc...
    I am talking about the clarity, sharpness of the image... However, sometimes in arts, blur and noise are more sought after...
    I don't think you able understand it at this point of time..

    lets use an example of writing report and a poem, both are using words, both need good command of language, one describe about facts, one describe about emotion and feeling.

    you are like writing reports, your tutor want you to write poem.

    if you think writing poem is not you want, you should consider quit the class.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  20. #20

    Default Re: "Good photos" can be bad photos.. :(

    Quote Originally Posted by pokiemon View Post
    took a third look. i like how you captured the colors, contrast and controlling the sharpness.

    where did you manage to find those golden mushrooms?
    Those mushrooms simply popped out in one of my flower pots...

    Quote Originally Posted by 2evans View Post
    It seems like your expectations differ from what the class has. Since it's a photography class versus say some scientific biology class, people are probably looking for an emotional attachment to them.
    Thats what I think too... I signed up for the class as it teaches me colour management, photography workflow, sharpening, dodging, burning, post processing... basically, technical skills... and therefore clarity, colours, medium control etc should be the focus... It's hard for me to say a blurred image is a well processed photo with artistic feel...

    Thanks for your comments again.My photos are still very amateur and need improvement, I do not dare to say these are really good shots however its quite disappointing when others commented on something else that isn't my focus...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •