Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hey you...Hello? Whatever happened to Excuse me?

Default Re: Hey you...Hello? Whatever happened to Excuse me?

Well, in Singapore, the way I see it, customer always want to act like king; the sales people aren't motivated enough or can't seem to be bothered.

It takes two hands to clap.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    I like "Hello!" and "Next!".

Because the last time I went to a supermarket in Australia, the counter girl asked, "How are you today?"

What do you mean by "How are you today?"

Does she really want to know how do I feel and care about me?

I took a long time to answer her, "I'm not sure how am I."

She laughed at my reply.

Next time I'll tell her, "Never mind how am I. You're not my doctor."
    some people will reply: "which part you would like to know?"
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    some people will reply: "which part you would like to know?"
    What if she asks to see it?

This morning,
    one lady need to pass me in order to get out from MRT...
    and she said "excuse me" while banging her big bag to my body... :|

Oh dear, so sorry to hear that but that's too common nowadays, isn't it. Maybe you should also 'bang' & also say "excuse me, my hand is caught on your blouse..."

It's just like driving on the road & ppl if they do signal it's like; " GET OUT OF MY WAY, I"M COMING THRU"
    Photography? It's all in your mind...

Some can't even say the full 'Excuse me'. It becomes just 'excuse' in a rude manner.

I was taking a glance at some items in a shop where I had unknowingly blocked the path of a lady for a second or two before she remarked "... can you be automatic..." as if I have eyes in the back of my head. I have really nothing much to say, all I can guess is that it is easier to say a seven syllables sentence rather than a short three syllables one and lose your dignity and pride.
    Last edited by 9V-Orion Images; 25th March 2010 at 01:56 PM.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    I was taking a glance at some items in a shop where I had unknowingly blocked the path of a lady for a second or two before she remarked "... can you be automatic..." as if I have eyes in the back of my head. I have really nothing to say much to say, all I can guess is that it is easier to say a seven syllables sentence rather than a short three syllables one and lose your dignity and pride.
    When in Singapore, do as the Singaporeans do. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by hazmee View Post
    When in Singapore, do as the Singaporeans do. LOL!
    I'm not sure if I want to stoop myself to that low a level. I always make a point say thank you everytime I'm served even this morning when I got my breakfast frm McD I said "Thank you" at least 5 times to each time I was served but the young lady only responded to some, maybe she was a bit shocked to receive this treatment from a customer or thinking this old man bit sock in the head

Quote Originally Posted by DrSpock View Post
    I'm not sure if I want to stoop myself to that low a level. I always make a point say thank you everytime I'm served even this morning when I got my breakfast frm McD I said "Thank you" at least 5 times to each time I was served but the young lady only responded to some, maybe she was a bit shocked to receive this treatment from a customer or thinking this old man bit sock in the head
    try Hong Kong, if you want to appreciate Singapore service.

Not sure it's just me but does anybody else notice this unrully trend in the public and especially service industry where instead of people saying "excuse me pls" it's "HELLO" when they are to serve you and you are in the way or want to pass in front of you? Even at some fast food joints they'll call out "NEXT" Instead of "Welcome to......how may I serve you today? Also there are ppl always standing on the right side of the escalator to block you from walking fwd even when there is nobody in front of them? I don't quite notice this happening in other country like Australia. What has become of our place?
    you're lucky.
    many times I have service staff just stand vertically in front of me , quiet, and wait for me to initiate the conversation. mostly these were from shops and I also experienced it dome at paragon a coupel of weeks ago. sigh

this thread makes me miss Japan....i miss my short holidays there. not only polite and the XMM all so cute and pretty..even the airport security check the bus is like....alr better than our Ms Singapore...haha....

SIngapore is really cannot make it la...high end shops also like crap....they scan your dressing and make an assessment before talking to u..and even if they talk to u they like sibeh buay song like that if u ask a bit more...until u tell them..''I want to buy this with this budget'' then they will be like a bit better...don't say paragon..ION also like crap in some shops.

Quote Originally Posted by iMac08 View Post
    this thread makes me miss Japan....i miss my short holidays there. not only polite and the XMM all so cute and pretty..even the airport security check the bus is like....alr better than our Ms Singapore...haha....

SIngapore is really cannot make it la...high end shops also like crap....they scan your dressing and make an assessment before talking to u..and even if they talk to u they like sibeh buay song like that if u ask a bit more...until u tell them..''I want to buy this with this budget'' then they will be like a bit better...don't say paragon..ION also like crap in some shops.
    Reminds me of the time I bought my TV. Went to electrical stores in town wearing shorts and plain t-shirt. Went courts and harvey norman, browse through the whole TV section and stay for quite some time. Shops were rather empty, salesmen were free, nobody bother to entertain me or even look at my direction. Obviously due to my dressing and I looked young. See their attitude I walk out. These shops already like that no need say those in paragon/ION.

Finally let a guy earn my commission in one of the branch. Buy from him since he's the only salesman who bother to approach and serves me with a smile.

Quote Originally Posted by pchmj View Post
    Reminds me of the time I bought my TV. Went to electrical stores in town wearing shorts and plain t-shirt. Went courts and harvey norman, browse through the whole TV section and stay for quite some time. Shops were rather empty, salesmen were free, nobody bother to entertain me or even look at my direction. Obviously due to my dressing and I looked young. See their attitude I walk out. These shops already like that no need say those in paragon/ION.

Finally let a guy earn my commission in one of the branch. Buy from him since he's the only salesman who bother to approach and serves me with a smile.
    This story reminded me of a millionaire friend of mine who many yrs ago when he was 23 y.o. went into a BMW showroom to buy a Z3, also wearing t-shirt & bermuda and a baseball cap, and simillarly no salesman bothered to serve him until he approached one of them and the guy squink his eyes scanning at my friend's dressing with his 'dog-eye' and said "I'll bring you a brochure" and then walked away. My friend then approached another fresh looking salesman and the younger guy eagerly served him. Finally they sat down to close the deal when the 1st guy came back and my friend said "It's ok, we're doing the paperwork now. BTW you guys are on commission right?" Imagine the look of that 1st guy's face

Well, I guess its the mentality of being king or I-should-be-served of most of not all Singaporeans. And previously friendly Singaporeans will eventually become like others...

I went to Taiwan twice noticed that the people there are so friendly and civic consious. Just take a look at their "MRT" during peak hours. They are all in a queue even though there are no lines on the floor and they leave a wide space for everyone to alight first before boarding the train. Although there are unfriendly taiwanese as well, but its a very small number.

Just my 2 cents.
    Canon 5D Mark II | 24-70mm f2.8L | 50mm f1.2L | 85mm II f1.2L | 580EX II

This story reminded me of a millionaire friend of mine who many yrs ago when he was 23 y.o. went into a BMW showroom to buy a Z3, also wearing t-shirt & bermuda and a baseball cap, and simillarly no salesman bothered to serve him until he approached one of them and the guy squink his eyes scanning at my friend's dressing with his 'dog-eye' and said "I'll bring you a brochure" and then walked away. My friend then approached another fresh looking salesman and the younger guy eagerly served him. Finally they sat down to close the deal when the 1st guy came back and my friend said "It's ok, we're doing the paperwork now. BTW you guys are on commission right?" Imagine the look of that 1st guy's face
    i like this...sometimes they must learn not to judge a person from appearance....but singapore i think is really like that...all like that...cause i just refuse to dress up too formally on my off days...and they will never bother with me...until i tell them i want to buy this and have this budget..then they will be nicer..really is kanasai in singapore...awhile back i wanted to buy a watch for my wife...so went to ION Omega to take a look. Knn...wear berms and slipper means i no $$$ is it. point finger here and there...then after i tell him i don't want quartz watches ..he come and tell me ''oh automatic is a lot more exp and u cannot get at that price''...as if i don't know like that. after he say that i told him forget it..all look so ugly and walk off to Taka THG which was much better

Quote Originally Posted by andeelym View Post
    Well, I guess its the mentality of being king or I-should-be-served of most of not all Singaporeans. And previously friendly Singaporeans will eventually become like others...

I went to Taiwan twice noticed that the people there are so friendly and civic consious. Just take a look at their "MRT" during peak hours. They are all in a queue even though there are no lines on the floor and they leave a wide space for everyone to alight first before boarding the train. Although there are unfriendly taiwanese as well, but its a very small number.

Just my 2 cents.
    i notice that in taiwan..but u also notice their crowd not as bad...so that might contribute too..they ride bike mostly..on the road, their bikes also quite scary

Isn't this a reality?

It is the culture...

Sometime I can accept "NEXT" if I'm queing at the bank or cashier counter but definately not at front end fast food service counter or where courteous service is warranted.
    Not a criticism in any way, more a question designed to stimulate thought/discussion. But what's the difference between a bank/cashier counter, and a fast food service counter?

They're both service counters, only one's for food, and one's for a service. Why do you feel comfortable with "lesser" service at the bank?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by iMac08 View Post
    ... and the XMM all so cute and pretty....
    i believe this is the crux to our problem.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast