Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for my first film SLR

wow.. this moves faster than IRC. anyway, I'll probably get a F80 or a EOS-30... maybe I'll wait for the promotions since I am not in a hurry to get them..

I am going to b&h photovideo store soon because I am going New York and I heard that the camera store is THE place to go to. woo hoo.. must resist and NOT buy anything.. hahah.

Great gear you have, megaweb....

great lens, great hood, gread motodrive, great camera, great ball head...and most important of all...GREAT WALL to bring out the camera.
    DR KOH KHO KING

Originally posted by chaotic
    wow.. this moves faster than IRC. anyway, I'll probably get a F80 or a EOS-30... maybe I'll wait for the promotions since I am not in a hurry to get them..

I am going to b&h photovideo store soon because I am going New York and I heard that the camera store is THE place to go to. woo hoo.. must resist and NOT buy anything.. hahah.
    i'm very interested in the EOS 30 too. When you decide to buy tell me ok? can go together and maybe get a better deal. are you considering 2nd hand?

Originally posted by Bluestrike

The EOS 300 will do just that, but you will outgrow that in a matter of months....
    I'm starting to outgrow my EOS 300 w/ its kit lens..... hehehe

Originally posted by megaweb

dun u think tt it look nice with the white lens ?

power!!

yah I'll consider 2nd hand of course since it's cheaper.. but hard to find good deals unless lucky. ;-)

btw, does film stop you from shooting as much as you want because each roll will cost about $15 with the film & developing cost?

Originally posted by chaotic
    btw, does film stop you from shooting as much as you want because each roll will cost about $15 with the film & developing cost?
    well film definitely makes you think more about you press the shutter release, but i think it's a good habit to have. forces you to compose your shots better and think about the effect you want first. it's kinda hard to ignore that each roll you reload is costing you $$$. but that's a double-edged thing... got pros, got cons.

ok think i better stop here before i spark off another film-versus-digital debate.

from what i gather most of you guys are really tempting the poor chap to join the dark side for good. he's looking for a beginner SLR and what's getting recommended here are mid-class cameras ie EOS 30 and F80.

well, since you'll be upgrading your system in time anyhow, why not go for a base class camera, like F65, or a Minolta Dynax 5. Both of these are likely to be very cheap, especially if used. tie the body with a fast 50mm prime and you're on your way to a huge learning experience.

might as well save money for film and developing costs, rite?

Originally posted by munfai
    from what i gather most of you guys are really tempting the poor chap to join the dark side for good. he's looking for a beginner SLR and what's getting recommended here are mid-class cameras ie EOS 30 and F80.

well, since you'll be upgrading your system in time anyhow, why not go for a base class camera, like F65, or a Minolta Dynax 5. Both of these are likely to be very cheap, especially if used. tie the body with a fast 50mm prime and you're on your way to a huge learning experience.

might as well save money for film and developing costs, rite?
    I don't fully agree. If he/she starts with F80 or EOS30, these camera can serve him/her for a "long" time as the features in this camera are quite complete. The next step of upgrade will be to the professional body, which is not really needed by amatuer. I do find F65 lacks lots of features which will be realized/needed in no time.

Regarding the film cost, when you think of how much you have spent on your equipment, you will tend to shoot more...as the film cost is just a fraction out of the money spent on the tools.
    DR KOH KHO KING

The way to save money on film and developing is to THINK MORE BEFORE YOU SHOOT. Make every frame count.

To those who are interested, search Singnet Classified now and there has been a seller named Elson selling F80 + MB16 for quite some times already. His offered price is S$700 neg. I think you can still negotiate with him to bring down the price further.

Ref. no 488684
    DR KOH KHO KING

Originally posted by Kho King

I don't fully agree. If he/she starts with F80 or EOS30, these camera can serve him/her for a "long" time as the features in this camera are quite complete. The next step of upgrade will be to the professional body, which is not really needed by amatuer. I do find F65 lacks lots of features which will be realized/needed in no time.

Regarding the film cost, when you think of how much you have spent on your equipment, you will tend to shoot more...as the film cost is just a fraction out of the money spent on the tools.
    I agree with you!
    As Far as I Know, the F65 must rely on the DX coding of the canister to give it the ISO rating. Ask Hackie abt it.... I need to go find and find the correct DX code canisters when I bulk load for him!!! *It not easy*

Oso, The functions in the "beginner" body is limited and Knowing the guy(Yeppie99) He deff need a better class body!

Minolta, Nikon or Canon....
    That up to him to choose liao!

Originally posted by Bluestrike

I agree with you!
    As Far as I Know, the F65 must rely on the DX coding of the canister to give it the ISO rating. Ask Hackie abt it.... I need to go find and find the correct DX code canisters when I bulk load for him!!! *It not easy*

Oso, The functions in the "beginner" body is limited and Knowing the guy(Yeppie99) He deff need a better class body!

Minolta, Nikon or Canon....
    That up to him to choose liao!
    complain liao loh... *kokz*

i agree that a F80 or an EOS 30 can last much much much longer than any base class camera, but then again if you're new to photography (no reference to yeppie99), would you rather pay big bucks for stuff like Focus-Lock, 5fps drive, Wireless TTL flash, blah blah blah when you're just starting out in photography?

chances are that with more features and automation, the beginner will get even more confused, and reliant on the camera features.

i believe that the first camera would be a learning tool, and to discover what the user intends to to with the camera. then the next logical upgrade would be inline with his/her needs. for example, if you're into macro shots you wouldn't buy a 200mm f/2.8 just because it's available, right?

Let me help you to decide.

Go for Nikon if you plan/want/hope to enjoy the mechanical/manual range of Nikon. Eg. FM2, FM3A, F3hp, F2, FE...Old Nikkors manual focus.

Go for Canon if you want the lastest gadget. Eg. USM, IS.
    Uh... what bullshit is that?

Just wondering, since I don't really bother with specs like some people do. What's the major difference between F65 and F80 that you must buy the F80 over the F65? Considering that you're gonna buy it firsthand, of course.

Originally posted by Richard

Uh... what bullshit is that?
    That's an open invitation to a typical brand war. Why bother with a statement that contains no substance at all?

you are right .. all those camera features easily confuse a beginner. it's a difficult choice to make such that to get a camera that will satisfy the needs for a long while and as well as justify the cost of entering a new hobby. not to mention, it's hard to understand all the mambo jambo in the reviews.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast