Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for my first film SLR

Originally posted by bordeaux78
    Hi yeppie,

I bought my F80 2 months ago, and I am satisfied with the body. It has very good features for it's price. Maybe you want to consider prime lenses if you know what sort of photographic style you'll be doing.

I myself have the G lens that comes with the kit (useful range I think) and a 85mm 1.8D for portraiture. Just my thoughts only...hope can help

Christoph
    how much was your F80 kit?

the F80 is sure tempting... trying my best to resist... haha. but it seems like canon got more choices in lenses... argh... so confusing... can't they just make one standard...

I bought them at CP in peninsula plaza

They quoted me:

F80 (non D version) + Nikkor AF28-80 G kit S$800
    with Hoya UV and CP filter $10 and $40 resp.

Christoph

vous parlez francais? tres bien. je parle un peu francais.

the F80 is a tempting option for me because I have a coolpix.. so it's like getting locked (i.e. suckered) down to a system.

Let me help you to decide.

Go for Nikon if you plan/want/hope to enjoy the mechanical/manual range of Nikon. Eg. FM2, FM3A, F3hp, F2, FE...Old Nikkors manual focus.

Go for Canon if you want the lastest gadget. Eg. USM, IS.
    DR KOH KHO KING

the F80 is sure tempting... trying my best to resist... haha. but it seems like canon got more choices in lenses... argh... so confusing... can't they just make one standard...
    Well chaotic,
    I know it is confusing to choose a system to start with, and many people feel the same way (me too ). It is very unlikely to change to another system once you are using the system for a long time.

I think the best way is to compare different bodies, and see if u like it and it feels good in your hands. After that, dont bother which brand is better, coz at the end it is the photographer's skills that count. That's my humble opinion

Christoph

Originally posted by yeppie99
    haha i know this is gonna sound damn stupid but i prefer the EOS 30 over the 300 coz I like the looks more. but seriously, what are the main differences between EOS 30, 300, 66, and those along these lines? I've printed out the specs of them all to slowly read through but can someone just give a quick summary? Will it make much of a difference between them? or shld i concentrate more on the lenses?
    You can get a comparison chart here.

I don't have to worry about those manual nikon stuff.. coz I'll never be able to afford them anyway!

Originally posted by Kho King
    Let me help you to decide.

Go for Nikon if you plan/want/hope to enjoy the mechanical/manual range of Nikon. Eg. FM2, FM3A, F3hp, F2, FE...Old Nikkors manual focus.

Go for Canon if you want the lastest gadget. Eg. USM, IS.
    ok i guess that concludes my decision. i'm a gadgety person. btw wat actually is the mechanical thing abt nikon?

vous parlez francais? tres bien. je parle un peu francais.
    arrg...oui...je le parle un peu de peu...je l'ai etudié à l'université

Christoph

oh well , I just want a beginner system to learn the basics so I don't really need all the bells and whistles... and also I don't want to pay a bomb for it coz I am still a student.

ok i guess that concludes my decision. i'm a gadgety person. btw wat actually is the mechanical thing abt nikon?
    Mechanical camera = can work without battery. Nikon FM2, F3hp are built like a tank. The metal feel is really hard to describe in words. Hold one in your hand...or borrow one from your friend together with a 50mm lens. You will love this combo.
    DR KOH KHO KING

Originally posted by chaotic
    oh well , I just want a beginner system to learn the basics so I don't really need all the bells and whistles... and also I don't want to pay a bomb for it coz I am still a student.
    The EOS 300 will do just that, but you will outgrow that in a matter of months....

What system you start out now will most probably determine what system you will follow in the rest of your life. Thus, although you can't afford the latest tech of lenses/camera now, you still want to choose a system base on their currently available stuff.
    DR KOH KHO KING

I don't really want a tank camera! can't bring it anywhere to use it.. I want a light SLR. I want to be able to travel with it! I love my olympus pns now because it's so convenient but you'll never know what you get in the pictures because there is no control.

dun u think tt it look nice with the white lens ?

See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

Originally posted by ziploc

You can get a comparison chart here.
    i seem to be able to get only the BH main page?

nevermind i found it. thanx

I don't really want a tank camera! can't bring it anywhere to use it.. I want a light SLR. I want to be able to travel with it! I love my olympus pns now because it's so convenient but you'll never know what you get in the pictures because there is no control.
    Built like a tank doesn't mean it weights like a tanks. FM2 is about 500g weight, add a 50mm lens, the total weight is lens than 800g.

Built like a tank meaning that you need not to worry about dropping it...malfunctioning...no battery (in FM2 case)...etc.
    DR KOH KHO KING

The FM2 is bullet proof when fitted with a lens.....read in an article about a war photojournalist in NAM getting hit and found the logged bullet in his FM2....

Warning!! No scientific proof

Originally posted by megaweb

dun u think tt it look nice with the white lens ?

oh yeah..... that sure looks good....... somehow i just love the sleek look of the EOS 30. i love this all-black design.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast