Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: bouncing flash and reduction in stops

  1. #1

    Default bouncing flash and reduction in stops

    HI,

    everytime i read about bouncing your flash, be it off the ceiling, with a bounce card or with the omnibounce, theres always "loss in stops".

    Does this mean that everytime i bounce a flash, i have to adjust the increase the exposure (over that metered by the camera) to get a correctly exposed picture?

    Thanks,
    Al

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Perth Australia
    Posts
    2,548

    Default

    You'll only have to worry about it if you are using a flash in manual control mode. In any of the TTL or automatic modes the flash or camera will take control and ensure correct lighting power is supplied.

    One thing to note however, you can loose 2-3 stops when bouncing of ceilings and this greatly reduces the effective range of your flash. Also the bounced light takes on the colour of the material it's bounced off.

    Ian
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian
    You'll only have to worry about it if you are using a flash in manual control mode. In any of the TTL or automatic modes the flash or camera will take control and ensure correct lighting power is supplied.

    One thing to note however, you can loose 2-3 stops when bouncing of ceilings and this greatly reduces the effective range of your flash. Also the bounced light takes on the colour of the material it's bounced off.

    Ian
    great ! thanks...but i'm curious, how on earth is the camera going to know if i'm bouncing the flash, and what angle, distance to bouncing surface etc....all these variables add to the loss in flash "power" right?

  4. #4

    Default Less than 90 degrees

    Quote Originally Posted by reactan
    great ! thanks...but i'm curious, how on earth is the camera going to know if i'm bouncing the flash, and what angle, distance to bouncing surface etc....all these variables add to the loss in flash "power" right?
    My best guess is the flash detects you are bouncing when it is being positioned at an angle other than 90 degress .... correct or not?

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ydanz
    My best guess is the flash detects you are bouncing when it is being positioned at an angle other than 90 degress .... correct or not?

    yes, i've thought abt that, but there's still the factor of the distance to the bounce surface.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reactan
    great ! thanks...but i'm curious, how on earth is the camera going to know if i'm bouncing the flash, and what angle, distance to bouncing surface etc....all these variables add to the loss in flash "power" right?
    There's no need to know for the camera to know.

    TTL mode:
    the camera "sees" the reflected flashlight through the lens and determines when the flash exposure is enough and cut off the output.

    Auto mode on the flash:
    the sensor on the flash "sees" the reflected flashlight and determines when the flash exposure is enough and cut off the output.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mpenza
    There's no need to know for the camera to know.

    TTL mode:
    the camera "sees" the reflected flashlight through the lens and determines when the flash exposure is enough and cut off the output.

    Auto mode on the flash:
    the sensor on the flash "sees" the reflected flashlight and determines when the flash exposure is enough and cut off the output.
    ic ic...thanks a lot to all who replied!

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reactan
    great ! thanks...but i'm curious, how on earth is the camera going to know if i'm bouncing the flash, and what angle, distance to bouncing surface etc....all these variables add to the loss in flash "power" right?
    the answer is here:

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian
    You'll only have to worry about it if you are using a flash in manual control mode. In any of the TTL or automatic modes the flash or camera will take control and ensure correct lighting power is supplied.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •