Thread: Need advice on Raynox filter

Default Need advice on Raynox filter

I'm thinking of getting a Raynox DCR 250, and I got a Tammy 17-50 which I heard will have serious vignetting if used with this, and also a 18-55 kit lens

Will the Raynox work well with my 18-55? I try search everywhere but can't really find ppl who use Raynox 250/150 with kit lens, so I wanna know how well it would work on the kit lens. I know it can screw on on my lens but I'd like to know how the DOF will turn out to be...sample shots would be nice.

I see most ppl using 50 prime with it and get very nice shots but my D5k won't AF with the AF-D version so if I get it I can't use it much other than for macro...and I can't afford the AF-S one.

Default Re: Need advice on Raynox filter

Quote Originally Posted by brapodam View Post
    I'm thinking of getting a Raynox DCR 250, and I got a Tammy 17-50 which I heard will have serious vignetting if used with this, and also a 18-55 kit lens

Will the Raynox work well with my 18-55? I try search everywhere but can't really find ppl who use Raynox 250/150 with kit lens, so I wanna know how well it would work on the kit lens. I know it can screw on on my lens but I'd like to know how the DOF will turn out to be...sample shots would be nice.

I see most ppl using 50 prime with it and get very nice shots but my D5k won't AF with the AF-D version so if I get it I can't use it much other than for macro...and I can't afford the AF-S one.
    Hi,

It will work with ur 18-55. Why?

Because it comes with a UAC2000 Universal Adapter which fits any DSLR lens or digital cameras having diameters from 52mm to 67mm. Ur 18-55 is 52mm thread.. U snap on and use it at ur 55mm end (zoomed out)

And for macro, its all MANUAL as u need precision in adjustments in getting the shot u want, esp with a close up filter like raynox where dof is very thin. AF is nt recommended.

Link for more info

btw this should be in Others Equipment section i think..

HTH
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

Quote Originally Posted by Numnumball View Post
    Hi,

It will work with ur 18-55. Why?

Because it comes with a UAC2000 Universal Adapter which fits any DSLR lens or digital cameras having diameters from 52mm to 67mm. Ur 18-55 is 52mm thread.. U snap on and use it at ur 55mm end (zoomed out)

And for macro, its all MANUAL as u need precision in adjustments in getting the shot u want, esp with a close up filter like raynox where dof is very thin. AF is nt recommended.

Link for more info

btw this should be in Others Equipment section i think..

HTH
    Yeah I know it will fit...just wanted to know the results of this combination if anyone ever tried it. Dun wanna get it and realise I have to get another lens to get decent results

Its not that hard to find right..

Google is ur best friend u know

Sample
    My Flickr|My Son

Quote Originally Posted by Numnumball View Post
    Its not that hard to find right..

Google is ur best friend u know

Sample
    Oh lol just realised I wasn't searching thoroughly enough, found some other samples too, gonna get it soon!

Quote Originally Posted by brapodam View Post
    Oh lol just realised I wasn't searching thoroughly enough, found some other samples too, gonna get it soon!
    Good for u, welcome to the world of Macro, share ur pics if u can
    My Flickr|My Son

its not that easy to use though. it requires patience and a sharp eye.

Welcome to clubsnap and macro world.
    Love insects Macro Photography本杰明 More Pctures at my Blog at bennieHsu

Will you be getting locally or ship from overseas? If locally only have the 250.

I bought a 250 and find it hard to use, DOF is too shallow. Need to be very near to object, too close for comfort. I'm using a m4/3 which suppose to have deeper DOF and already face problems.

Sold and bought a 150 from amazon, more working distance and easier to get things in focus. Lesser closeup than 250 but it works better for me.

You may want to consider the options.

Welcome to the club !

Got to go very close to the object to get the results and need to be very steady.

might wanna consider a dedicated macro lens, it'll be much easier to use, not to mention macro lenses will be much sharper than using a kit lens + close up filter combo.