Thread: "IT" people come here plz to help....

Default "IT" people come here plz to help....

Hi all friends, I' ll need some advise on what PC to get to scan my pics....My file sizes at max scan can go up to 400mb. I need some info on how much ram, what processor speed, what display card to get etc. I need to run PS while I'm scanning halfway too....basically I need one PC that runs smoothly and does not hang while I'm doing this two functions....and what lcd monitor can be use to do these...colour good and accurate and how big?

Budget is not more that 3.5k.....Mac is out cause looking for PC only....thanks in advance......

one suggestion for you, dont install to many application in your computer especialy game, just install neccessary software and it helps you work faster.

buy more RAM if you're working in Photoshop.

what is the source that you're scanning from? you might be scanning at too high a resolution that does nothing but take up space. a scan of a A4 300DPI magazine at 24bit would take up only 100MB if you scan at twice the frequency (i.e. 600DPI. scanning beyond doesn't help to extract out more details).

RAM is the most important component here.

I found myself in the same position and am considering an upgrade. Everyone has their own views on this so, here's what I have been recommended:

Asus P4C800 Motherboard
    Pentium 4 2.8Ghz HT w/ 800 Mhz
    Kingston 2x512 MB CL3 RAM (apparently works better than the CL2.5)
    WD Raptor 36GB Hard Disk
    Hitachi 7k250 160GB Hard Disk
    ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
    TDK 8x DVD-RW Drive
    Antec Sonata Casing w/ 380W PSU
    Windows XP Pro
    17" Samsung 172X LCD Panel (173T maybe sufficient)
    Keyboard and Mouse

Comes out about S$3.3k.

Note, however, that I don't game a lot so I am perfectly happy with a mid-range graphics card and slower processor. If you are a hardcore PS user and gamer, I think you would need higher speed processors.

RAM is a funny topic. I always thought more is better and then was told that WinXP operating limit is 2GB when the motherboard is designed to house 4GB... On top of that, CL3 is better than CL2.5 and CL2 is not that much better... So, I am a bit confused myself...

Anyways, people expect the 64-bits processors to be out in force and window's longhorn coming to market by end of this year/early next year. By then, you would expect that photoshop would be updated to take advantage of the 64-bit processing power and so, your PC probably has a two-year or less shelf life...

Quote Originally Posted by mpenza
    what is the source that you're scanning from? you might be scanning at too high a resolution that does nothing but take up space. a scan of a A4 300DPI magazine at 24bit would take up only 100MB if you scan at twice the frequency (i.e. 600DPI. scanning beyond doesn't help to extract out more details).

RAM is the most important component here.
    I'm using scan multi pro scanner, when i scan medium format, the file size goes up very easily....

Actually it's for company use.....

alangoh.....you fix your com yourself??

if your files are that big perhaps should invest in a RAID array or SCSI/SATA drives. You should have more than enough CPU juice with almost 3GHz and 1GB RAM, but the wait for the files to get in and out of disk and any RAM swapping will depend on the disk subsystem.

Frankly none of the PC-grade mobo are very good in this regards.

With the size of photos you are handling, might wanna consider a tapedrive as backup storage for archive purposes.

DOn't need to know how to fix yourself, buy the bulk of your components from a Sim Lim retialer and tell them to fix it up for you. They charge you $20 or about there, depending on how good you are at bargaining...