Thread: shooting pets...

Default shooting pets...

ok this post is about taking pictures of pets and and not literally shooting them...

was trying to take a pic of my yorkshire terrier without flash but the shots turn out rather dark even though he is fully lighted by window light. selected shutter speed of 1/125 at f2.8. shots using flash turn out fine.. any pointers??

try a higher ISO.. sometimes not really good that you flash your dog as their eyes may be subjected to too bright of a light (such as flash light) and be blinded. do a search on pet photography.. there's quite a few tips and examples around

Quote Originally Posted by SniperD
    try a higher ISO.. sometimes not really good that you flash your dog as their eyes may be subjected to too bright of a light (such as flash light) and be blinded. do a search on pet photography.. there's quite a few tips and examples around
    yes, my other dog hates the flash so i normally shoot without it. howver, i saw this great portrait shot of this horse taken by andy rouse using AP at f8.0 and ISO50 and i am pretty sure he didnt use any flash..

Quote Originally Posted by buddy
    ok this post is about taking pictures of pets and and not literally shooting them...

was trying to take a pic of my yorkshire terrier without flash but the shots turn out rather dark even though he is fully lighted by window light. selected shutter speed of 1/125 at f2.8. shots using flash turn out fine.. any pointers??
    Hi, is the window light pointing towards you? What I mean is that you might be in a situation where window light act as a backlight and cos your dog to become dark or sometime shadow. Use a spot meter might helps.

Better if you can post your photo for us to see.

Quote Originally Posted by jimtong
    Hi, is the window light pointing towards you? What I mean is that you might be in a situation where window light act as a backlight and cos your dog to become dark or sometime shadow. Use a spot meter might helps.

Better if you can post your photo for us to see.
    no, window behind me. dog is nicely lit by the morning light and is not backlit.