Thread: Gel application

Default Gel application

Hi guys,

I have just gone into using Gel on my flash light. I got the velcro band to wrap around my flash, then the gel to stick on the velcro. It is fine if I use only the flash and the gel.

However, when I want more diffused light, I use Omni Bounce too. So the questions come:

1. If I stick the gel first then mount the Omni Bounce, my gel will be crumpled (especially the gel is wide then my flash light).
    2. If I apply the gel on the Omni bounce, then how to ensure the left and right sides of the Omni Bounce is also covered? Presently the sides are not covered by the gel as the gel only wraps the Omni Bounce from top to front to bottom.

Would appreciate on how do you guys set up your gel + Omni Bounce.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Gel application

I don't use omnis, so I'm probably not the expert on this, but the options I would consider are:

1) cutting the gel to fit the front of the flash
    2) use a gel without velcro, width to fit the head and go over the sides, and use the omni to keep everything in place

Basically, there are many ways round the problem, depending on what you prefer or are comfortable with. Crumpling the gel does not detract from it's performance anyways, and it's always easy to prepare spare pieces.
    Last edited by Dream Merchant; 24th March 2010 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lastboltnut View Post
    Hi guys,

I have just gone into using Gel on my flash light. I got the velcro band to wrap around my flash, then the gel to stick on the velcro. It is fine if I use only the flash and the gel.

However, when I want more diffused light, I use Omni Bounce too. So the questions come:

1. If I stick the gel first then mount the Omni Bounce, my gel will be crumpled (especially the gel is wide then my flash light).
    2. If I apply the gel on the Omni bounce, then how to ensure the left and right sides of the Omni Bounce is also covered? Presently the sides are not covered by the gel as the gel only wraps the Omni Bounce from top to front to bottom.

Would appreciate on how do you guys set up your gel + Omni Bounce.

Thanks in advance.
    simple... cut a smaller piece exactly the size of the flash head, then use the wide angle convertor to clip that gel, then push the omnibounce in.

another way is to buy colored omnibounce.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

oh ya, just beware of melting.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Thanks guys...so it sounds like I cannot keep the gel safe from cutting or "harm". Its $4 a piece ($40 for a set of 10 pieces from CP). Heart pain. Ha! But if no choice I have to loh.

Thanks!