View Poll Results: Does your Friends or relatives said you CRAZY spending thousands of dollar on Camera?

Voters
109. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. They said I crazy.

79 72.48%
  • Nope they don't.

30 27.52%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Does your friends said you are crazy spending thousand on Camera?

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica Choo
    A doctor colleague of mine who earns more than $10,000 a month cringes at just buying the 300D body! Even though he is fairly interested in photography.

I guess it's all relative... As some said it well, you have to be in the craft or hobby to decide if it's worth it.

But one thing I cannot understand is buying of cars. I don't own one myself. Told my friends overseas the prices of cars in singapore and they go nuts with the idea! For a 1.5 litre Jap car here, you can buy a spanking new Porsche there.

And they almost faint when they hear of the price of an HDB flat. Someone commented to me that Singapore may be advanced in technology and all that but we also seem to be one of the poorest in terms of the total assets owned minus debts, bills, loans and all.

Hmm... I dunno what to make out of this! Feels depressing when I think about it...
    I agree wholeheartedly with U

Yes, I always use my name. Not to worry as many are in the forum to learn and not everybody can afford the watches featured including me.

Quote Originally Posted by DennisLee
    Your Nick is Dennis Teo?

The web site is very informative, but i find that they features very 'fine' watches. Too fine for my wallet

Quote Originally Posted by SniperD
    I agree wholeheartedly with U
    To add on...

A non-graduate, early 30's colleague of mine from Malacca owns a nice condo and of course a car back in Malaysia. He works in my department and his pay is lower than most of us who are professionals. Yet, we commented that he is so 'lucky' to have all the 'luxuries'!

Although I do agree with Clive who mentioned about 'simple living', I think it's hard to avoid thinking about owning material things in life, especially in Singapore. Naturally, you want to go traveling, buy those extra lenses or accessories, or indulge in some other nice 'luxuries'. Even if all these can be discounted through self-discipline, don't forget you need a roof over your head and this alone can set you back almost your whole working lifetime. (I'm not really referring to those who are single and still living with their parents!)

For those who are married with at least 1 kid, and come from middle-income families, even without indluging in big luxuries, the cost of raising your kid and not to mention owning a flat is enough to make you worry if you are out of job for even a few months.

Sounds depressing in the above but the good point about living in Singapore is the safety and other little amenities available. I suppose for most middle-income earners, it's a way of life that is to be appreciated -- Graduate from school, just work and work like a dog for the next few decades to pay bills and support yourself or family. Any extras goes into little luxuries. But big plans like owning a nice house with a garden, working 9-5 for only 5 days a week can be better labelled as a lofty dream unless...

Quote Originally Posted by clive
    spot on, brother
    other things like spending $7k for a wakeboardign course... that one can buy a lot of L lens...hehe! =)

lets see ah:

1.photography : $15+ k
    2.triathlon :$2+ k
    3.car: $100+ k
    4.music: $70+ per month for broadband to download mp3s.
    5.IT: $5+ K for PC, laptop, pheripherals

so far music is the cheapest ^_^
    1.photography : $15+ k
    2.triathlon :$2+ k
    3.car: $100+ k
    4.music: $70+ per month for broadband to download mp3s.
    5.IT: $5+ K for PC, laptop, pheripherals
    6.passion towards hobby: priceless
    "I want to have the best camera in the world and shoot XMMs."

Quote Originally Posted by y0ngcheng
    6.passion towards hobby: priceless
    hehehe!!! but really lah...still got to pay a huge price for all these things =)

hehehe!!! but really lah...still got to pay a huge price for all these things =)
    theres something money can't buy. for everything else, theres master card.
    hehehe
    "I want to have the best camera in the world and shoot XMMs."

Quote Originally Posted by y0ngcheng
    theres something money can't buy. for everything else, theres master card.
    hehehe
    You give me your MasterCard lah?

Talking

I juz realise that buying so called "expensive" lens and cams is actually nothing compared to those taxi drivers and executives (as appeared in the Sunday Times) who kept and maintain those young Chinese babes. Heard that they spent from a couples of hundreds to a few thousand dollars PER month!
    Think i m gonna get that ef180macro lens soon! (no more guilt :-)

golf and hifi are the stupidest thigns to spend $ on

=p =)

no lah cannot say that.... some hi fi are really very good. golf is useful for networking

Quote Originally Posted by justdoit
    I have this friend, he used his company discount rate to buy a computer. place it nice nice on a table with some decoration. But never see him using it except when there are guest coming, then he turn on his computer to act act surfing net, order pizza online.
    this dang sad manz.
    Canon 300D, 30D, 5D. 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L, 70-200 f2.8 L IS

tink the outcome speaks for itself...

Quote Originally Posted by RuthBaby
    i sold my lens to buy a car... lolz

tts why i only left with 2 lens
    Car coming - now two cameras, one flash and one lens less....

Don't know whether to laugh or cry.

With the prices of cars here, yet there are so many cars in singapore. I cannot imagine if cars are any cheaper. How else would this country work out, given the SMALL land area and no natural resources. It has become more or less a way of life as a Singaporean to be in debt your whole life.. but we all go through it. Key is to think positive and to work at it. Easier said than done...I know.

Singapore's land is scarce, thus housing would definitely be expensive. But our standard of living is still relatively comfortable right? You compare basket of necessities to that of a EU nation, I think our bread is still cheaper. Our GST and other taxes also much less.

If you are convinced that you or your children can do better or have a better chance elsewhere, you can always migrate. I know lotsa pple who went over to Adelaide or Vancouver.

Got this friend in vancouver, owns a house (bungalow in Singapore context), have 3 kids, owns a car, works 5 days a week (doesnt earn much), lives the 4 seasons...

you make up your mind whether Singapore could have turned out otherwise..

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234