View Poll Results: Does your Friends or relatives said you CRAZY spending thousands of dollar on Camera?

Voters
109. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. They said I crazy.

79 72.48%
  • Nope they don't.

30 27.52%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does your friends said you are crazy spending thousand on Camera?

Quote Originally Posted by rncw
    i've some friends into golf, some into cars, and some into hifi....most of them just want to show off....they said photography equipments are just cheap thrills....but when i showed them a pic of one of my dragonflies, they (some of them) want to pick up photography too. i told them NO. they're better off showing off their cars, hifis, and golf clubs membership.

Buying a Nikon doesn't make you a photographer. It makes you a Nikon owner. ~ Author Unknown, Shutterbug 2004-03-14
    Last edited by oeyvind; 25th March 2004 at 05:23 PM.

That's what I told my friend
    "woah, 2k for a lens, a new F100, is not you love Nikon, but Nikon loves you."
    or
    "2k plus for a mamiya, and yet seldom see you taking photo"

haha, I got similar comments from my parents also.
    They said
    "why don't you save the money for buying a house, compact camera will do lah"

Quote Originally Posted by wilis128
    how much does ef 1200mm cost? $200k list price?

woah.. dat can get u a ferrari?
    S$120k IIRC, and no, u still can't get a Ferrari with this miserable bit of moolah.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oeyvind

Buying a Nikon doesn't make you a photographer. It makes you a Nikon owner. ~ Author Unknown, Shutterbug 2004-03-14

No wonder u use Canon...

Quote Originally Posted by Garion
    Are you referring to the Genesis I? That is a monster of a speaker system. I think it cost at least 100k?
    Genesis I is passe, and yes, that cost about S$100k and weight like 500kg? There are more exciting and exotic speakers that cost both arms and both legs.

Maybe for you guys a bit more mature (i won't say the 'O' word), expenses on photography may seem less of an insanity than to us students and NSFs. Less of an insanity, but still an insanity nonetheless.

I'm in my early 20s, and sometimes even I think I'm mad spending a few thousand on a lens. And it's not just the lenses, there are so many costs such as tripod, tripod head, monopod, monopod head, flash, diffuser, reflector, lighting, bag, bigger bag, even bigger bag, filters, blower, flash card, bigger flash card, faster flash card, portable storage device, flim, developing.... the list goes on and on. For someone who's income / allowence is in the 3 digit range, it's mad when we make such purchases.

And then when a new, faster lens with better quality or range comes out, or a new camera with bigger buffer, more AF points... the bank is broken again.

But it's all down to one word. PASSION!

As long as we're happy with what we're doing, and not doing any bad things, or neglecting family needs, then I don't really care if my friends think I'm crazy.

Woa... 3 digit income can afford soooo many things ar??? tat is really passion man

one of my friends told me that everyone he knew who dabbled in photography went broke

Default Hi Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by Matrix
    Does your friends or relatives said that when they came to know how much you had spent on photography equipment?

e.g. $2000 for a LENS, $600 for a tripot, $3000 for a Camera body lone.........

How would you react to this comment? What thought are in your mind at that moment?
    Hi My friend, of course they do think we are crazy. Especially when we switch systems. To them with the money spent on the camera, they can use it to fund the purchase of a new car. Coupled to these, sometimes, to make thing worse, there's the learning and experience curve. Until you buy the system and start using them, you aren't completely sure if you will like them and if the system suits you. On top of that, we may not know what area of photography we like eg. macro or landscape. Consequently, we ended buying alot of equipment. Then when you switch system, you appear to be wasteful. Of course, the photographer is more important than the system. If you have the skill, you can take good pictures reqardless of the brand. In short, if your friends think you are crazy the way you spend money on photography, you are not alone.

Yeah, my friends said that I am spending more than 1k for a compact camera (Contax T3)!

if u can afford it, flaunt it.

hehe, my gf is nicely supportive... as long as I continually turn out nice portraits of her!

But I think I'm reaching a plateau already where my equipment can nicely cover almost all of my photographic needs: scenics, landscapes, lowlight, macro, (except for the long end, but that needs to wait for a while $$$ ). So my bank account (and my backside ) can now finally take a break..

They think I'm crazier to spend $6K on 4 guitars and an acoustic amplifier... At least it's easier understand why I need more than one lens for my camera... but 4 guitars?
    Jia Wang... "A photo is only as beautiful as the photographer's eyes can see."
    My Eyes ;)

They don't think I'm crazy lor .... they just say ....

"Brudder .... when you not using hor, can BORROW or not huh???"

Ha ha wait till you have a wife and is into watches, every purchase will require her signature. maybe can bluff in the beginning but after sometime she will known and will question, can't drop off the last zero anymore. Mind you each purchase can buy a whole new system.

Quote Originally Posted by justarius
    hehe, my gf is nicely supportive... as long as I continually turn out nice portraits of her!

But I think I'm reaching a plateau already where my equipment can nicely cover almost all of my photographic needs: scenics, landscapes, lowlight, macro, (except for the long end, but that needs to wait for a while $$$ ). So my bank account (and my backside ) can now finally take a break..

Quote Originally Posted by Jia Wang
    They think I'm crazier to spend $6K on 4 guitars and an acoustic amplifier... At least it's easier understand why I need more than one lens for my camera... but 4 guitars?
    $6k for 4 guitars is considered quite cheap what? I personally own a bass and amplifier that adds up to $2k already!

Anyway, 4 guitars is considered okay, since for people who are serious in making music, a backup guitar is a must. And different strings and different material use on the guitar would change the quality of the tonality significantly!

golf and hifi are the stupidest thigns to spend $ on

=p =)

Quote Originally Posted by clive
    golf and hifi are the stupidest thigns to spend $ on

=p =)
    Not true also... golf could be a really fun game if you are really interested in it. I can understand on the hifi fetish too, for I love music!

Anyway, I think people who are not into the certain hobby would think that it's crazy to spend so much... people who are into the hobby can't be bothered to explain to those who aren't!

Quote Originally Posted by cheatchu79

Anyway, I think people who are not into the certain hobby would think that it's crazy to spend so much... people who are into the hobby can't be bothered to explain to those who aren't!
    spot on, brother
    other things like spending $7k for a wakeboardign course... that one can buy a lot of L lens...hehe! =)

lets see ah:

1.photography : $15+ k
    2.triathlon :$2+ k
    3.car: $100+ k
    4.music: $70+ per month for broadband to download mp3s.
    5.IT: $5+ K for PC, laptop, pheripherals

so far music is the cheapest ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by clive
    spot on, brother
    other things like spending $7k for a wakeboardign course... that one can buy a lot of L lens...hehe! =)

lets see ah:

1.photography : $15+ k
    2.triathlon :$2+ k
    3.car: $100+ k
    4.music: $70+ per month for broadband to download mp3s.
    5.IT: $5+ K for PC, laptop, pheripherals

so far music is the cheapest ^_^
    Again not true. Music lover tend to get the full album instead of downloading mp3s. I was like spending more than $200 per month at one point of time to get jazz albums too! So it's not cheap!

How come triathlon need to spend $2+k?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast