Thread: Unlocked Iphone?

Default Unlocked Iphone?

Hi peep, willing to give ur opinion... What is the risk of buying unlocked iphone from other country? I'm planning to order online... Seems like the price is cheap...&
    What would be the risk and disadvantages?

Default Re: Unlocked Iphone?

i wouldn't. if it's too cheap, probably too good to be true.
    who knows it was badly abused and refurbished cosmetically just for show.
    don't but it la.

The only safe place to buy is from Apple Store Hong Kong.
    Nikon D4 | AF-S 50mm 1.4G | AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G ED (2.9x) | AF-S VR 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED | SB900

Quote Originally Posted by az-pro View Post
    Hi peep, willing to give ur opinion... What is the risk of buying unlocked iphone from other country? I'm planning to order online... Seems like the price is cheap...&
    make sure is not one of these... looks identical and real cheap.

http://www.geekologie.com/2008/02/fa...y_convinci.php

I have managed to play with one of this, screen touch pad response very very slow, I doubt you have the patience to wait. and the itune icon is not connected to apple store, it has been re-defined to do other function.

What's the point to keep this iphone if you cannot download any applications from the itune store.
    Check carefully first before you buy ....
    Last edited by kutten; 24th March 2010 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by az-pro View Post
    I believe this unlocked iphone is not what you think as a jailbroken iphone.

Quote Originally Posted by kutten View Post
    make sure is not one of these... looks identical and real cheap.

http://www.geekologie.com/2008/02/fa...y_convinci.php

I have managed to play with one of this, screen touch pad response very very slow, I doubt you have the patience to wait. and the itune icon is not connected to apple store, it has been re-defined to do other function.

What's the point to keep this iphone if you cannot download any applications from the itune store.
    Check carefully first before you buy ....
    It is quite obvious it a fake: The centre button, the square is crooked!
    Apple will never allow that to pass QC tests.

Hi there,

Just my 2 cen worth of opinion, since I'm a iphone user currently. I guess its better be safe rather than to be sorry later...

I do agreed with some of the bros here that though its cheap, but the problem will surface later.. Why save the $$ yet to face more bigger problem later?? Since 3 major operators carrier is already having iphone, just grab from any of them.

Though the price is high, but it comes with warranty and hassle-free...

Pardon me if I sound too straighforward.. Just my humble opinion that's all.
    SONY Cyber-shot DSC-T50 | Canon IXUS 900 Ti

Blog Entries

the iphone is crippled without the data plan
    the 12GB that comes with the local iphone is essential for a good user experience

btw thread does not belong here and will be moved

I do agree the iphone is crippled without the free 12gb data plan.

I just recontracted my mobile line with Starhub last September not knowing that they will actually be having the I-phone later in the year.

So I called up starhub in December and they said I could do a recontract with them in Jan, but I will need to top up another $300++ (on top of the price of the iphone) .

I just called in last week again, expressing to do my recontract with them.

However I was informed that this offer is no longer valid - I didnt even know there was deadline to this offer.

So now my only option is to get it from sellers online and if I do get one, to upgrade my current plan to the 12gb data plan.

Blog Entries

check all your options, even consider the cost of breaking your current contract
    use that as leverage with your negotiations with Starhub

btw i find singtel's coverage really bad, i get loss of signal in punggol

My advise is not to buy any jailbroken iPhone. Reason being that you can never update the iPhone OS, security is compromised. Buy online from Apple store in Hong Kong. I have bought a couple of unlock iPhone from Apple Store and have been using it with no problem at all, also not tied up with any telco. I have got the 1st generation iPhone and have been using the iphone 3 months after it launch in the US. It is an unlock phone, the novelty is great being amongst the 1st to use it but the inconvenince of a jail broken phone is just too much.

Cheers
    Chris

better not to buy online or unlocked one since from my personal experience you better have the warranty coverage like our bro TrollR said.
    Lately i encountered my iPhone is really hang and could not even be restored (before that i managed to restore it couple of times since it keep on restarting)
    I suspect this problem due to the memory leaking from some of the apps particularly fancy game apps
    (i used to have the unlocked version one from the 1st gen and i didn't install many fancy apps so never encountered any issues.. but when i use this 3GS version with fancy2 games i think it's more prone to hang or reboot)

and you know what.. when i brought to Singtel for checking.. i was quite surprise there were lots of complains as well about iPhone. and for me i got a replacement since can't be restored.
    so imo warranty is good to have

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    check all your options, even consider the cost of breaking your current contract
    use that as leverage with your negotiations with Starhub

btw i find singtel's coverage really bad, i get loss of signal in punggol

O .. and i still tot Singtel has the best coveraqe among the 3 telcos.

Infact I heard many of my frens complaining abt Starhub's coverage and customer service.

I just called Starhub and they say theres nth they can do.

Looks like the only option is to get it off from shops Locally or from sellers online.

and yes, I believe it is important to have warranty for the phone.

Like all electronics, u never know when they will break down .