Thread: newbie

Default newbie

i am a newbie.. still in a jc... joined e photographic society..

i planning to get a digital camera.. budget shld be ard $300 to $400

wat cameras are there in e market? i am planning to use e camera only for casual outings, etc. and yes, also to take pics of fishes i hav at hm...

any ideas? thks..

(sorry if i posted in e wrong forum, still nt quite familiar with this site...)

Hello, hello... Welcome to Clubsnap.
    I think you might be looking at prosumer digicams with 3.0 megapixels.

Hmm.. I can't help you here because I'm more on the film camera side.

Anyway, welcome again!

Quote Originally Posted by Poledra
    Hello, hello... Welcome to Clubsnap.
    I think you might be looking at prosumer digicams with 3.0 megapixels.

Hmm.. I can't help you here because I'm more on the film camera side.

Anyway, welcome again!
    wat are prosumer digicams?

anyway, can anyone explain wat is megepixels and how it affects my photos?

also, wat is optical zoom?

just realized that there is a newbie forum... i suppose its ok to leave this post here it is shifted by e mods?

you joined a photographic society... maybe consider an film slr.

Quote Originally Posted by zekai
    you joined a photographic society... maybe consider an film slr.
    Kinda agree with zekai on that. You don't really learn much on a consumer or prosumer digital camera. And frankly, on that budget, most probably you would only get a consumer digicam first-hand, or maybe even a prosumer range second-hand. Note that while cameras like Canon A70 which are considered decent consumer digicam at less than $500, the manual controls setup could be a real horrid. Also, some may just be contended with looking through the LCD screen to take picture, which isn't necessarily be good, since minute details could not be displayed (e.g. Effects of circular polariser filter don't necessarily show out on the screen).

At your budget think a film SLR would be a good investment. Think you could easily get a second hand EOS300 kit, Dynax 5 kit or F55 kit at your budget.

But if you are really looking for a digicam, then you may want to consider a second hand Canon A70. It's really one of the better consumer range camera with manual controls.

Quote Originally Posted by bsplenden
    wat are prosumer digicams?

anyway, can anyone explain wat is megepixels and how it affects my photos?

also, wat is optical zoom?

just realized that there is a newbie forum... i suppose its ok to leave this post here it is shifted by e mods?
    Prosumer digicams are digital cameras with more manual functions than a consumer digicam..... They're usually rather big in size as compared to a consumer digicam. Almost like a DSLR but the lens cannot be removed from the body like the DSLR.
    ... I dunno how to describe to you properly also..

Megapixels is the number of dots per inch of your picture. The higher the megapixel value, the more details your photograph will have, but also the size of your picture will be larger. Usually for beginners, 3-4 megapixels will be enough.

Optical zoom is like zoom in an film SLR. Enlarging a picture in a certain way using optical zoom does not affect the quality of the picture.
    Digital zoom is the enlargement of a certain spot in the picture without improving on the number of dots in the picture. So if digital zoom gets out of hand, the picture becomes really grainy and not so nice.

I guess it's okay to leave your thread here.. If the mods want to move it, they'll move it themselves.

P.S: Anyone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong..

Quote Originally Posted by Poledra
    Prosumer digicams are digital cameras with more manual functions than a consumer digicam..... They're usually rather big in size as compared to a consumer digicam. Almost like a DSLR but the lens cannot be removed from the body like the DSLR.
    ... I dunno how to describe to you properly also..

Megapixels is the number of dots per inch of your picture. The higher the megapixel value, the more details your photograph will have, but also the size of your picture will be larger. Usually for beginners, 3-4 megapixels will be enough.

Optical zoom is like zoom in an film SLR. Enlarging a picture in a certain way using optical zoom does not affect the quality of the picture.
    Digital zoom is the enlargement of a certain spot in the picture without improving on the number of dots in the picture. So if digital zoom gets out of hand, the picture becomes really grainy and not so nice.

I guess it's okay to leave your thread here.. If the mods want to move it, they'll move it themselves.

P.S: Anyone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong..
    Well said!

Anyway, a point to add: it might be misleading that the more Megapixel the better the quality of the picture. More megapixel would only affect the final print-size, not the quality. A 3-4 MP camera could easily allow a photo-print to A4, without any apparent pixelated graphics.

i am a newbie.. still in a jc... joined e photographic society..

i planning to get a digital camera.. budget shld be ard $300 to $400

wat cameras are there in e market? i am planning to use e camera only for casual outings, etc. and yes, also to take pics of fishes i hav at hm...

any ideas? thks..

(sorry if i posted in e wrong forum, still nt quite familiar with this site...)
    Are you the same bsplenden from af.com?

I do agreed with what the rest said too! It's better to start with a film SLR. You will learn more. Furthermore, since you are in the photographic society, I assume you will not have much problem with processing.

Quote Originally Posted by ccplim
    Are you the same bsplenden from af.com?

I do agreed with what the rest said too! It's better to start with a film SLR. You will learn more. Furthermore, since you are in the photographic society, I assume you will not have much problem with processing.
    LOL.. you must be from both AF and endlicheri club...

but what i am thinking is that a film SLR might be too bulky to carry around for everyday use... and while i can develop my film, it might cost me a lot to be constantly developing photo... especially so when i am not sure of whether my photos are gd or not...

but for a DC, they are generally smaller, and i can bring them everywhere to capture what i want to. and i can look through them on the computer before i decide if i want to print them... that will save me a lot of money in the long run, you know, we students have a limited budget... as always...

since the canon A70 is mentioned. what is its market price now?

so what should i do? i still have a few months to think abt it, before i finish saving up for it...so actually i i asking this qns quite in advance...
    Last edited by bsplenden; 25th March 2004 at 10:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cheatchu79
    Well said!

Anyway, a point to add: it might be misleading that the more Megapixel the better the quality of the picture. More megapixel would only affect the final print-size, not the quality. A 3-4 MP camera could easily allow a photo-print to A4, without any apparent pixelated graphics.
    Some points to add. If you take picture using higher megapixel, if will also take up more space on your memory.

bsplenden, why would you be carrying your camera around everyday?

The price of a A70 is abt $599, i saw the canon ad the other day and they are having this promotion now, which they are giving you a free 128MB card.

Quote Originally Posted by Ice
    bsplenden, why would you be carrying your camera around everyday?
    Err... you mean you don't carry your camera with you around everyday?

I would really love to but if that's the case, I think I will need a dry cabinet in my office. The temperature in and outside the office is way too much and in the long run, moisture will be a big headache.

LOL.. you must be from both AF and endlicheri club...

but what i am thinking is that a film SLR might be too bulky to carry around for everyday use... and while i can develop my film, it might cost me a lot to be constantly developing photo... especially so when i am not sure of whether my photos are gd or not...

but for a DC, they are generally smaller, and i can bring them everywhere to capture what i want to. and i can look through them on the computer before i decide if i want to print them... that will save me a lot of money in the long run, you know, we students have a limited budget... as always...

since the canon A70 is mentioned. what is its market price now?

so what should i do? i still have a few months to think abt it, before i finish saving up for it...so actually i i asking this qns quite in advance...
    Yup! That's me Nice to see you here We shall all learn together.

No I don't. I only carry my camera around only when I know I am going for shooting that day.

One reason is that I am in school everyday and the things i see are about the same, so no point carry camera everyday and also scare lost the camera.

No I don't. I only carry my camera around only when I know I am going for shooting that day.

One reason is that I am in school everyday and the things i see are about the same, so no point carry camera everyday and also scare lost the camera.
    Well, I have my digicam with me most of the time, since you never know when funny things or memorable moments may occur. Not asking you to lug your SLR what!

hehe... i am also a school boy... so i also hav to go school everyday. but since my bag got space and i lug my bag everywhere with me, why not? in case cannot take care of it, still can ask my photograpy teacher help me store in the photography room mah...

my school got a lot of things to take... school life is interesting... jus hav to spend more time observing...