Thread: Fascination

Default Fascination

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    Composition (is smack center more vivid? or should i have chosen bottom left corner for extra eye space for subject?)

Perspective (going lower than the subject and shooting upwards? any good arguments for shooting top down? )

Focal point (given a choice, would shooting the eyes as the main focal point have been better?)

Exposure ok right?

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

A mere wish to communicate purity, joy, innocence and most importantly, a fascination with life. And it embodies many self respecting photographers started out with: a fascination for life.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

a very close friend's niece, taken out for an afternoon at the toy store. No better emotive space than a toy store to capture fascination. Normally very afraid of strangers, i took an hour for her to warm up to me before i took out the big dslr. when she left, she was asking for me already.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    Could be better in terms of finding a focal point. assumes fingers at the top right of the frame adds rather then detracts. Considers it decent given the precious few seconds before the expression fades.

Default Re: Fascination

Hey remynew, I think in terms of composition you could place the subject more to the left. Especially now that the subject is looking toward the right side of the picture, placing the subject in the center makes the shot seems unbalanced.

For the focal point, eyes would be a good focus as the main feature of this photo should be of the face. Making the eyes stand out would bring out more of the emotion in this picture.

One more thing I'd probably wanna suggest is that the depth of field seems a little shallow for this shot. Her mouth and nose seems to be the only areas that seems sharp, and it quickly blurs out by the time it reaches the cheeks. I think if the DoF is wider, it would help sharpen the subject and make it stand out from the background hence improving the contrast of the shot.

Other than that I think your friend's niece is very adorable, and this shot does capture the emotions of joy and innocence quite nicely.

Hope my comments were useful for you.

thanks for the very insightful comments.

i agree that i should have stopped down a couple of stops. lighting was more than adequate and yet i was shooting wide open @ f/1.8.

going down to f/2.8 or even f/4 would have
    1. allowed the lens to work at its sharpest.
    2. increased the dof.

sometimes the temptation to shoot with aperture wide open with nice bokeh blinds me from the technically superior shot that i should have made.

white balance is off. skin tone too yellow
    Flickr
    There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past.

A few questions:
    1. Wat ISO did you use?
    2. Where was this taken?
    blog: inbloomphotos.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by wildsoyabean View Post
    white balance is off. skin tone too yellow
    noted with thanks. is it too much to be corrected in PP? I've read that a grey card for calibration would have been of some help but i'm not sure of the extent of usefulness of that.
    i might assume the problem was that the lightning was orangy-yellow at the store and me being unmindful of that, did not take WB into account.

khairi:

this was shot with 35mm f/1.8 DX on a D80.
    Shutter speed :1/125, ISO 720(dun really detect the noise though...).

Shot at Toy'R'us at Vivocity.

Thanks for taking time to critique.

I feel it's good effort to take the photo at this perspective but it shd be frame more to the right like some have already pointed out. Apart from WB, I do feel the dof too thin coz part of the top of hair(near the back) is betting blurred...tink the fundamental is still to get sharp eyes to make this good...
    Kids are unpredictable so straight after focusing, she might be some distance away/foward alr....out of your thin dof...probably can try AFC to track these active kids?

Very adorable gal... my 0.02cents
    Last edited by ovaltinemilo; 24th March 2010 at 11:32 AM.
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

Composition:
    Rules of 3rds dont work ALL the time. Sometimes, a dead center photo with GOOD subject matter works better.
    Your orientation too could be in portrait and not landscape. IF you want to include the hand on the left side...then, rules of 3rds might apply and the orientation might be in Landscape. How you compose would determine how you want your photo to be seen and it'll make you feel good abt it.

Perspective:
    By going LOWER and CLOSE... you are ENHANCING the child's nostrils. U have to be careful with that.

Focal point:
    Although NOW, the focus point is on the mouth... frankly...shoot more so tat you could tell that you've freeze the moment with the 'right' focus point.

Exposure:
    Your exposure on Manual? OR Aperture priority?

Aperture:
    Do you need to STOP DOWN if u want to try out shooting wide open at f1.8? There's nothing wrong to shoot at f1.8 as long as you are diligent to MAKE SURE that you nailed the shot at the 'correct point of focus'.

In photography, rules are guidelines we follow. And just like any rules, they work most of the time, giving us expected results again and again. However, there will always be exception to the rule. In this case, since you are focusing on a portrait, the background or the action are not really your focus, so it doesn't make any sense to have the head forcefully restricted in the third. Making the face dead center would still give you a great picture, and have enough features to still convey the same feeling of fascination.

It would be uncomfortable definitely to go against rules. But you can definitely get away with it under some circumstances, like portrait or still life. Still, if you're not certain about it, try taking dead center of pictures maybe throughout one photography outing, and then just snip the pictures into square format. That will be a good step for you to understand about why rule of third actually exist.

Quote Originally Posted by khairi View Post

Exposure:
    Your exposure on Manual? OR Aperture priority?
    i was on AP.

Aperture:
    Do you need to STOP DOWN if u want to try out shooting wide open at f1.8? There's nothing wrong to shoot at f1.8 as long as you are diligent to MAKE SURE that you nailed the shot at the 'correct point of focus'.
    I take it that you mean the aperture and thin depth of field is not the problem.
    The problem is not getting the very narrow DoF correctly focused on the eyes. Am i interpreting it correctly?

Thanks again for the honesty and prompt feedback.

Abt Exposure... play ard with AP a bit more... see what it does in different light conditions.
    For Aperture or Shutter priority, the trick is to play ard with the EV+/- setting.
    Frankly, if an area like this with almost consistent lighting, it'll be best to opt for manual settings.
    And i wonder if your ISO is set at AUTO? Is it?

Aperture:
    Yup. You are right abt that.
    If the focus point locks at the eye and u snapped it...it wont be easy but it'll be great.

Nothing wrong to try and fail and eventually getting it right.
    But it'll be wrong to limit possibilities and fail, then you give up.

Frankly, if an area like this with almost consistent lighting, it'll be best to opt for manual settings.
    And i wonder if your ISO is set at AUTO? Is it?
    yes. weird number like 720 gives it away. i set it at AUTOISO 100 and capped max sensitivity at 800.

Nothing wrong to try and fail and eventually getting it right.
    But it'll be wrong to limit possibilities and fail, then you give up.
    Understood and appreciated.

quite a nice photo, i think but yes, the dof is too shallow - and also the WB is too warm i think, a bit too yellow on the skin especially.. i think the composition is quite good, imo
    Check out my blog: pixelogist.me

On focal point, may wanna try AF-S mode(Nikon cams), select focus point on the frame to where the eyes are, focus lock and shoot at F1.8. I maybe wrong, but I wouldn't constrict my aperture on this one...I would leave it wide open.

I really dont think there're any issues with DOF here...(The_Cheat, waddoya think?)

Quote Originally Posted by rvf35nc View Post
    On focal point, may wanna try AF-S mode(Nikon cams), select focus point on the frame to where the eyes are, focus lock and shoot at F1.8. I maybe wrong, but I wouldn't constrict my aperture on this one...I would leave it wide open.

I really dont think there're any issues with DOF here...(The_Cheat, waddoya think?)
    No idea why you ask me about it. Anyway, since you did, I decided to do a bit more and enhance your picture somewhat. It's a bit reddish and pixelated though. Give me a better copy and maybe I could do a bit more.

Anyway, with regards to DOF, it is a bit limiting at this point. As you can see, the left eye has an obvious lack in detail, while even the right eye (the one that is clearer) is rather unclear in the lines as well (eyelid and even eyelashed). Can't really give a fair judgement of whether the DOF is good enough though, unless your focal point change to either the eyes, or even the nose.

Generally though, to play safe, go with either f5.6 or f8. It's much better to have all the details and then do some postprocessing to achieve the DOF. The lost details in f1.8 on the other hand, would be near impossible to recover.

Edit: on hindsight, it's a bad edit. I forgot to dodge the middle of the face. Gah!!!
    Last edited by The_Cheat; 24th March 2010 at 05:10 PM.

here's my colour correction:

Thanks to TS and seniors for all these sharing.
    Cheers.

Hi remynew,

The white balance is off, but you could save it to a certain extent with photoshop.

Image>Adjustments>Photo filter

BW works fine too for this photo

Most of the improvement pointers are mentioned.

1. Focus on the eyes, they are windows to the soul
    2. Low perspective for portraits need to be exercised with cautious, but for kids, the consideration level is fairly low, maybe the nostrils part.
    3. Composition wise is fine, not much of a problem as the expression is spot on (Priceless) Perhaps you might want to read up more on camera shots MCU and CU. We seldom cut it at the neck level as it is kinda awkward.

Communication: communicate purity, joy, innocence and most importantly, a fascination with life

It is there, i feel it, thanks for sharing.

Cheers

Edit: Sorry, i did not mention about the cropping, i think this crop size works better for me, in terms of composition. Either wider to show the subject she is interested in? Or tighter to really emphasize the priceless expression.
    Last edited by yhphotography; 24th March 2010 at 07:10 PM.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their ideas on salvage plans for a technically inadequate shot.

to khairi, the_cheat and yhphotography, thanks for taking time off to share the pp and cropping options. correction for WB and the shifted crop really does the subject more justice. yhphotography's skin tones are spot on.

Interesting to note the point about cutting people up in photos. I read that middle of body segments are nice to cut (photographically), and joint cuts should be avoided. Maybe a bit of shoulders next time.

Surprised at the amount of things i learnt from this shot. Must confess we learn the fastest diving into the deep end of it.