Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: from D90 to D300s... worthy upgrade?

Default Re: from D90 to D300s... worthy upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by Wurdelak View Post

am happy with the 11-16 though but i could've saved some dollars if i wasn't mislead by the online reviews of the 12-24. now i hope you know where i am coming from. so i fyou don't know the pros and cons between the two cams am asking about, please don't be sarcastic to ask me to tell you the difference between them. if you don't know, then just don't reply here... am saying it in a kind but straight forward way, thank you very much!
    "Reviews" are never completed nor completely objective (those rare ones that are objective don't make much sense to photographers either). What I do is I search in flickr for photos taken with the particular lens that I'm interested in. It's not foolproof too, but it sorta helps me more than just reading reviews anyways.

As for the difference between the D90 and D300s, what can we tell you besides the reviews you can find for yourself with google? Besides, there is already a similar thread here: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=672245 where a few people who "know the difference" have already voiced some of their opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by DrSpock View Post
    I went from a D90 to a D300s for the speed & only the speed. Otherwise I do agree the ISO performance of a D90 is better than the D300s but I hv a D700 to use for that low light purposes.

Suggested readings One Two Three

All the best
    Quote Originally Posted by Numnumball View Post
    If you are asking this, i think D90 is gd eough for u.. Save ur $$ for lens, if not FX better still
    Quote Originally Posted by szeping View Post

The difficult part is to read the whole article yet don't know what's the decision. TS might need a "YES" or "NO" answer.

Joking... TS, as many of them has pointed out, stick to D90 until you have found a bottleneck for you to upgrade.

I own both of them. D300 gives me better AF (51 vs 11) and speed.
    Quote Originally Posted by copikau View Post
    TS ... if I were you, I'd sleep with it, eat with it or should i say doing everything with it.
    D90 still the best choice.
    Unless you're into sports or you need to take fast moving pictures go for D300s.

Unlike me, I started of with D80 since 2007.
    Got issues with ISO and most functions you can't get, today.
    I bought mine last year November. Loving it.
    But at times I still use my 'EX' ...

Save more money to buy better lens or external flash.
    Quote Originally Posted by aspenx View Post
    "Reviews" are never completed nor completely objective (those rare ones that are objective don't make much sense to photographers either). What I do is I search in flickr for photos taken with the particular lens that I'm interested in. It's not foolproof too, but it sorta helps me more than just reading reviews anyways.

As for the difference between the D90 and D300s, what can we tell you besides the reviews you can find for yourself with google? Besides, there is already a similar thread here: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=672245 where a few people who "know the difference" have already voiced some of their opinions.
    thanks for the helpful inputs and links!
    Why so serious... Son?

thanks for the inputs guys... if you've read my post on top i wrote "someday" which means not now nor sooner, i was hoping to get opinions from users of the D300s so when the time comes for me to decide, i would know better...

it's not that i haven't googled on it pokiemon, it's just that on my recent experience, i was looking at the tokina 12-24... all the reviews i've read on it says it has avery bad CA which is hard to correct at pp, i ended up getting the 11-16 which is more expensive, only to find out later from 12-24 tokina users here that it's ok... they've even posted their shots and i agree it's good for lesser price.

am happy with the 11-16 though but i could've saved some dollars if i wasn't mislead by the online reviews of the 12-24. now i hope you know where i am coming from. so i fyou don't know the pros and cons between the two cams am asking about, please don't be sarcastic to ask me to tell you the difference between them. if you don't know, then just don't reply here... am saying it in a kind but straight forward way, thank you very much!
    I am stating as a matter of fact. It seems like you have not done your research at all and that is my whole point.

So you read online elsewhere that 12-24 has bad CA, go out to buy the 11-16 and later on regret your decison because the CS users here say it's ok.

Likewise, if you heed the CSers' advice to upgrade to D300s and later on you read about it somewhere else and find out there is no difference. Are you going to kick yourself for listening to the CSers here?

It seems like your decision process is flawed. Shouldn't you be doing your homework first before posting a question on CS? Shouldn't you as the buyer test it for yourself before making a decision? Opinions are subjective and based on people's personal experience. So as a user of D90 you should know what the limitations are, compare that against the D300 then you can decide whether you need that feature or not.

Quote Originally Posted by pokiemon View Post
    I am stating as a matter of fact. It seems like you have not done your research at all and that is my whole point.

So you read online elsewhere that 12-24 has bad CA, go out to buy the 11-16 and later on regret your decison because the CS users here say it's ok.

Likewise, if you heed the CSers' advice to upgrade to D300s and later on you read about it somewhere else and find out there is no difference. Are you going to kick yourself for listening to the CSers here?

It seems like your decision process is flawed. Shouldn't you be doing your homework first before posting a question on CS? Shouldn't you as the buyer test it for yourself before making a decision? Opinions are subjective and based on people's personal experience. So as a user of D90 you should know what the limitations are, compare that against the D300 then you can decide whether you need that feature or not.
    bro, maybe you've misread my recent post... i never stated anything that says "i regret" getting the 11-16... i said "am happy with it though"... and CSers here didn't just say tokina 12-24 is ok, they've posted pictures taken with it to prove their claim that indeed it's fine.

another thing, i posted that i've already googled on it, and am actually heeding opinions from hands-on users of the said cam body.

last thing, from my starting post, i've stated that "for now, am happy with my D90"... to me, it means i haven't gone to the point that it's limiting me already, (i dunno how you interpret that, or maybe my english is bad? ) thus, i've also stated that the upgrade "wouldn't be too soon".

asking for opinions is part of decision making (which for me is not so soon), the opinions gathered from here would play a part in it, thus am asking around.

so, if you have nothing to say about the topic of which am seeking opinions for, please don't be sarcastic to tell me that my "decision process is flawed"... again, am saying this politely. thank you very much!
    Last edited by Wurdelak; 23rd March 2010 at 04:02 PM.
    Why so serious... Son?

Quote Originally Posted by szeping View Post

The difficult part is to read the whole article yet don't know what's the decision. TS might need a "YES" or "NO" answer.

Joking... TS, as many of them has pointed out, stick to D90 until you have found a bottleneck for you to upgrade.

I own both of them. D300 gives me better AF (51 vs 11) and speed.
    why not do a poll?
    Canon 7D with 15-85mm

Quote Originally Posted by adorable View Post
    why not do a poll?
    good suggestion...
    Why so serious... Son?

good suggestion...
    Put D700 etc in the poll too.

upgrade skill, then camera...

Quote Originally Posted by JadeRiver View Post
    upgrade skill, then camera...
    i believe in that bro, that's why not upgrading so soon...
    Why so serious... Son?

Bro Wurdelak, there are some good advise here from Bro you can sit down and think about....

If you think you need/want it someday, just go and get it and enjoy it.... dont worry too much about it..... there are both good cam....

Like me, coming from earlier D40, D70, D200, D300 and what not...... and always not happy with the result..... always think must get higher series, ya, eventually I got hold of a D700.... then it dawn on me that.... wait a min, yes it is a damn good cam,love the control and interface.... but then, I am carrying a monster, heavy as hell, I am not making full use of its features and its capability, I am not taking so much photos to justify it...... what the hell I am doing with a freaking expensive cam like this.... I am not happy..... and sold it off less than a month after owning it.... after a brief encounter with the 40D ( a good cam btw), I return to Nikon with the D90...... now learning the cam slowly and can see that most of my photos now turn out better.... not wow but better than before as I re-learn the whole things again.... I was like chasing for the best but not knowing that for myself at least..... I need to learn to walk before I learn to run......

Dont get too upset, the good bro here are giving good advise ( I learn lots from them)..... take a min to think through.... but eventually, the decision is yours.....

Quote Originally Posted by N-user View Post
    Bro Wurdelak, there are some good advise here from Bro you can sit down and think about....

If you think you need/want it someday, just go and get it and enjoy it.... dont worry too much about it..... there are both good cam....

Like me, coming from earlier D40, D70, D200, D300 and what not...... and always not happy with the result..... always think must get higher series, ya, eventually I got hold of a D700.... then it dawn on me that.... wait a min, yes it is a damn good cam,love the control and interface.... but then, I am carrying a monster, heavy as hell, I am not making full use of its features and its capability, I am not taking so much photos to justify it...... what the hell I am doing with a freaking expensive cam like this.... I am not happy..... and sold it off less than a month after owning it.... after a brief encounter with the 40D ( a good cam btw), I return to Nikon with the D90...... now learning the cam slowly and can see that most of my photos now turn out better.... not wow but better than before as I re-learn the whole things again.... I was like chasing for the best but not knowing that for myself at least..... I need to learn to walk before I learn to run......

Dont get too upset, the good bro here are giving good advise ( I learn lots from them)..... take a min to think through.... but eventually, the decision is yours.....

thanks bro, like you, i am enjoying my D90... i started this thread because of the probability of a future upgrade when the time comes that the D90 controls, etc. are limiting me already (which is not yet the case for now).

full frame is out of the picture, as far as i'm concerned... i'll be a DX man, and logically, D300s is the only upgrade path from D90, thus am gathering opinions and advise here from hands-on user so i can use it for my future decision making when the time has come for me to upgrade.

thank you very much for your advise! it's very helpful!
    Why so serious... Son?

thanks bro, like you, i am enjoying my D90... i started this thread because of the probability of a future upgrade when the time comes that the D90 controls, etc. are limiting me already (which is not yet the case for now).

full frame is out of the picture, as far as i'm concerned... i'll be a DX man, and logically, D300s is the only upgrade path from D90, thus am gathering opinions and advise here from hands-on user so i can use it for my future decision making when the time has come for me to upgrade.

thank you very much for your advise! it's very helpful!
    No worry bro.... the reason I "went over" to canon is because then, before I set my sight on D90, I was thinking to myself..... for "Pro" level, I dont like D300/D300s cause price vs features not worth it for me...... so I look over to canon who has the 40D/50D.... which has "Pro" level body.... 50D to me not worth, so I got a preown 40D..... love the output actually.... but for one thing.... having been using Nikon all this years.... Canon UI just not for me..... I am not a patience guy to learn the UI slowly, I rather spend the time to learn how to take better pic than tring to learn the UI... .... so I jump back to Nikon....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12