Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

Thread: from D90 to D300s... worthy upgrade?

  1. #1

    Default from D90 to D300s... worthy upgrade?

    hi to all, first off... just want to say that i don't see myself going full frame... budget wise... it stops from there! (unless somebody goes bonkers and give me a d700 as a gift ) so, since i'll be a DX man, i'm entertaining the thought of upgrading to D300s someday! just wanna know what are your opinions. thanks!

    for now, am happy with my D90, it doesn't limit my shooting requirements... just wanna know if it is a worthy upgrade, technically, and performance wise. thanks again!
    Why so serious... Son?

  2. #2

    Default Re: from D90 to D300s... worthy upgrade?

    Why so serious... Son?

  3. #3

    Default Re: from D90 to D300s... worthy upgrade?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wurdelak View Post
    hi to all, first off... just want to say that i don't see myself going full frame... budget wise... it stops from there! (unless somebody goes bonkers and give me a d700 as a gift ) so, since i'll be a DX man, i'm entertaining the thought of upgrading to D300s someday! just wanna know what are your opinions. thanks!

    for now, am happy with my D90, it doesn't limit my shooting requirements... just wanna know if it is a worthy upgrade, technically, and performance wise. thanks again!
    why dont you tell us what are the differences between d90 and d300?

  4. #4

    Default Re: from D90 to D300s... worthy upgrade?

    Quote Originally Posted by pokiemon View Post
    why dont you tell us what are the differences between d90 and d300?
    i don't know much about it... that's why am asking around here... do you?
    Why so serious... Son?

  5. #5

    Default Re: from D90 to D300s... worthy upgrade?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wurdelak View Post
    i don't know much about it... that's why am asking around here... do you?
    Im sure what pokiemon is trying to say is...

    If you dont know the differences between the 2 cameras, then no its probably not worth the upgrade for you.

  6. #6
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: from D90 to D300s... worthy upgrade?

    Performance in terms of IQ there is not much difference.

    But if you want to start using AiS lenses, I would say D300s is a good upgrade as only DXXX series and above will meter with old Ai(s) lenses.

  7. #7
    Member Darkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    86

    Default Re: from D90 to D300s... worthy upgrade?

    if you can and will make use of the added features of the D300s, then yes, it's worth the upgrade. But if you're looking to upgrade just because you've heard it's a better camera, then no, stick to your D90, and be an expert on it before considering any upgrade.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    605

    Default Re: from D90 to D300s... worthy upgrade?

    What makes you want to upgrade if you do not know the different between the 2? Since you are contented with your D90, I would say just keep it.
    My **flickr Album

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    TPY
    Posts
    2,458

    Default Re: from D90 to D300s... worthy upgrade?

    If you need a better body and the added features,then yes... else stick with D90.... its a good cam.... and of course its lighter....

  10. #10
    Member DrSpock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Warp back to Simei
    Posts
    1,088

    Default Re: from D90 to D300s... worthy upgrade?

    I went from a D90 to a D300s for the speed & only the speed. Otherwise I do agree the ISO performance of a D90 is better than the D300s but I hv a D700 to use for that low light purposes.

    Suggested readings One Two Three

    All the best
    Photography? It's all in your mind...

  11. #11

    Default Re: from D90 to D300s... worthy upgrade?

    damn.. you cannot compare D90 with D300. they were different class, mechanism, structure and price also
    i'am a D300 user's for my backup camera.

  12. #12

    Default Re: from D90 to D300s... worthy upgrade?

    It's worth it only when you want it.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Numnumball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central
    Posts
    13,914

    Default Re: from D90 to D300s... worthy upgrade?

    If you are asking this, i think D90 is gd eough for u.. Save ur $$ for lens, if not FX better still
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Upper Serangoon
    Posts
    1,187

    Default Re: from D90 to D300s... worthy upgrade?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wurdelak View Post
    i don't know much about it... that's why am asking around here... do you?
    Then its not worth the upgrade. You seem to want to upgrade for the sake of upgrading and not because you have something you want from the D300s.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    here
    Posts
    1,350

    Default Re: from D90 to D300s... worthy upgrade?

    Quote Originally Posted by sabee View Post
    Then its not worth the upgrade. You seem to want to upgrade for the sake of upgrading and not because you have something you want from the D300s.

  16. #16

    Default Re: from D90 to D300s... worthy upgrade?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wurdelak View Post
    i don't know much about it... that's why am asking around here... do you?
    wurdelak, no i do not know the difference between the two. but let me tell you what i would do.

    1. i would google "difference d90 and d300s"
    2. i would read up and understand the differences on the following criterias - price, compatibility with lenses, weight, sensor, fps, iso, buffer, viewfinder, dimensions etc.
    3. i would ask myself what is my shooting style and whether i need those features
    4. with that i can form an opinion whether the d300s is worth the upgrade over d90
    5. then i would come to cs forum and ask the guys this "hey i am thinking of upgrading from d90 to d300s and have done my research on the differences. however i need some advice on... and for those who have upgraded to d300s, can you share your experience?"

    sorry for sounding like a bitch but seriously what is so difficult about typing 4 words and 1 click away.
    Last edited by pokiemon; 23rd March 2010 at 01:12 PM.

  17. #17

    Default Re: from D90 to D300s... worthy upgrade?

    Quote Originally Posted by pokiemon View Post
    sorry for sounding like a bitch but seriously what is so difficult about typing 4 words and 1 click away.


    The difficult part is to read the whole article yet don't know what's the decision. TS might need a "YES" or "NO" answer.

    Joking... TS, as many of them has pointed out, stick to D90 until you have found a bottleneck for you to upgrade.

    I own both of them. D300 gives me better AF (51 vs 11) and speed.
    思斌的部落格 - szeping.com
    Wedding/Event Photography - 10eyesGallery.com

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    998

    Default Re: from D90 to D300s... worthy upgrade?

    yes. get the king of DX!

  19. #19

    Default Re: from D90 to D300s... worthy upgrade?

    TS ... if I were you, I'd sleep with it, eat with it or should i say doing everything with it.
    D90 still the best choice.
    Unless you're into sports or you need to take fast moving pictures go for D300s.

    Unlike me, I started of with D80 since 2007.
    Got issues with ISO and most functions you can't get, today.
    I bought mine last year November. Loving it.
    But at times I still use my 'EX' ...

    Save more money to buy better lens or external flash.

  20. #20

    Default Re: from D90 to D300s... worthy upgrade?

    Quote Originally Posted by spawnx View Post
    Im sure what pokiemon is trying to say is...

    If you dont know the differences between the 2 cameras, then no its probably not worth the upgrade for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by sabee View Post
    Then its not worth the upgrade. You seem to want to upgrade for the sake of upgrading and not because you have something you want from the D300s.
    Quote Originally Posted by aspenx View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pokiemon View Post
    wurdelak, no i do not know the difference between the two. but let me tell you what i would do.

    1. i would google "difference d90 and d300s"
    2. i would read up and understand the differences on the following criterias - price, compatibility with lenses, weight, sensor, fps, iso, buffer, viewfinder, dimensions etc.
    3. i would ask myself what is my shooting style and whether i need those features
    4. with that i can form an opinion whether the d300s is worth the upgrade over d90
    5. then i would come to cs forum and ask the guys this "hey i am thinking of upgrading from d90 to d300s and have done my research on the differences. however i need some advice on... and for those who have upgraded to d300s, can you share your experience?"

    sorry for sounding like a bitch but seriously what is so difficult about typing 4 words and 1 click away.
    thanks for the inputs guys... if you've read my post on top i wrote "someday" which means not now nor sooner, i was hoping to get opinions from users of the D300s so when the time comes for me to decide, i would know better...

    it's not that i haven't googled on it pokiemon, it's just that on my recent experience, i was looking at the tokina 12-24... all the reviews i've read on it says it has avery bad CA which is hard to correct at pp, i ended up getting the 11-16 which is more expensive, only to find out later from 12-24 tokina users here that it's ok... they've even posted their shots and i agree it's good for lesser price.

    am happy with the 11-16 though but i could've saved some dollars if i wasn't mislead by the online reviews of the 12-24. now i hope you know where i am coming from. so if you don't know the pros and cons between the two cams am asking about, please don't be sarcastic to ask me to tell you the difference between them. if you don't know, then just don't reply here... am saying it in a kind but straight forward way, thank you very much!
    Last edited by Wurdelak; 23rd March 2010 at 04:00 PM.
    Why so serious... Son?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •