Thread: polariser + overexposing..shutter problem?

Unhappy polariser + overexposing..shutter problem?

If you shoot with a polariser on and over expose between 2 to 4 stops, will the sky color changes?
    My problem is this... the original sky looks really blue, but my shot end up with this fake blue. Not dark blue (that happens when i forget to adjust the polariser back). Something like cobalt blue. So I hope you can help me solve this mystery. I want to know if its problem with my shooting, or is the developer responsible. My river and mountain as backdrop photo looks blue all over. like a layer of mist... the river is dark blue but comes out in photo bit greenish.
    Some scratches on negative too. I don't know if i'm responsible or the developer...

There's one photo that comes out 3/4 black (straight line). Do you think its problem with shutter? Can't be the lens hood right? I didn't remember if i left it on or not...

Hope someone can help. I came back from the pyramids and the photos have to look like this.. such disappointment.

P/S : i'm using minolta dyanx 505si and 24-105 (3.5-4.5).

Thanks

maybe developer problem?

Quote Originally Posted by mpenza
    maybe developer problem?
    It sounds more like the developer problem. Where do you send your negatives for developing?

Is the bluish cast present over the entire print? If so, think it's very likely to be a developer problem...

i think it is becoz of exposure problem. 2-4 stops is quite bad..
    another cause might be the PL color cast..some cheapo PL i used before had abit of magenta cast on the slides i took..

Quote Originally Posted by woosy
    If you shoot with a polariser on and over expose between 2 to 4 stops, will the sky color changes?
    My problem is this... the original sky looks really blue, but my shot end up with this fake blue. Not dark blue (that happens when i forget to adjust the polariser back). Something like cobalt blue. So I hope you can help me solve this mystery. I want to know if its problem with my shooting, or is the developer responsible. My river and mountain as backdrop photo looks blue all over. like a layer of mist... the river is dark blue but comes out in photo bit greenish.
    Over exposure with a polarizer can lead to some interesting problems, however the problems vary with the relative angle of the lens/filter to the suns position in the sky, the angle of view of the lens (it's focal length) and the type of emulsion being used.

The best thing would be to post a couple of examples and include some calibration colour blocks at the bottom of the image. Calibration blocks are small squares where the exact RBG values are known as they help in evaluating how accurately your scanner and computer monitor is set up etc.

Some scratches on negative too. I don't know if i'm responsible or the developer...
    Again without seeing the scratches it's hard to tell, however with most modern cameras it's usually the lab at fault.

There's one photo that comes out 3/4 black (straight line). Do you think its problem with shutter? Can't be the lens hood right? I didn't remember if i left it on or not...

Hope someone can help. I came back from the pyramids and the photos have to look like this.. such disappointment.

P/S : i'm using minolta dyanx 505si and 24-105 (3.5-4.5).

Thanks
    The shot with the 3/4 black, were you using flash? The reason I ask is it sounds very much like shutter curtain shadow that occurs when the shutter speed is too fast for the flash to synch correctly. Again posting this shot would really help in it's diagnosis.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian; 25th March 2004 at 08:38 PM.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

First thanks for your prompt response...

1) sent some pictures back for redeveloping. there's one shot that's bluish all over, so i suspect is their fault. the rest the weird blue only appear in the sky and as i was not very happy with them even if color is changed, i just leave it as it is. otherwise the whole roll needs to be redevelop. its so tiring running back and fore again. some other shots has too much green. i suspect so because my grey pants appear metallic green. perhaps they did this to correct my overexposure, but why i green i don't know.
    As for the scratches, they say they saw the scratch while developing but no one tell me when i collect the pictures (until i went down to ask!). Now they say the person responsible for printing did tell one of the sales staff. Well perhaps they are new... I can't put a finger at them for sure as i was in the desert and it was very windy. But i'm sure i never change my film wide in the open. Well... just my luck. Luckily my slide looks fine. i'm using a Hoya PL (its wearing out but so far i have no problem with it. so i have to partly blame myself for miscalculating and not backing up my shots)

2) i wasn't using flash and i remember cuz its a shot of the desert! And most of the time i shoot outdoor, so no flash at all. it happen to both my negative and slide so i have to think its my shutter problem. I'm going to send it to the service center to check.

3) my pc crashed so no scanner, no pc at home. i can only use the net in office. hence the late reply and no photos.

thanks for your help again. perhaps i should revise how to use a PL (any good book to recommend) and on over and underexposure...

wooz