Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Slot-in ND filters

  1. #1

    Default Slot-in ND filters

    Looking for slot-in ND filters above ND8 (3-stops) compatible with Cokin P-series holder. Are tian ya the only ones available here? Yes, I did search, but just in case I missed out. Can't seem to find any other brand. Cokin ones stop at ND8. OP has up to tian ya ND16 ($50). Considering to get a set of say, 2/4/8-stops.

  2. #2
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Slot-in ND filters

    Quote Originally Posted by CamInit View Post
    Looking for slot-in ND filters above ND8 (3-stops) compatible with Cokin P-series holder. Are tian ya the only ones available here? Yes, I did search, but just in case I missed out. Can't seem to find any other brand. Cokin ones stop at ND8. OP has up to tian ya ND16 ($50). Considering to get a set of say, 2/4/8-stops.
    hmm. personally i'm using tianya. i'll just say tat quality wise its
    cause its very very uneven. i get black concentrated specs. just a warning to u lar.

  3. #3
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Slot-in ND filters

    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    hmm. personally i'm using tianya. i'll just say tat quality wise its
    cause its very very uneven. i get black concentrated specs. just a warning to u lar.
    Yup, tian ya is quite uneven at times. But they're dirt cheap.

    I am using mostly Cokins. Cokin is also considered cheap range as it tends to give some red color cast when you use ND with more stops and when you stack.

    If you really want good filters, you will have to buy Lee filters. And those are freaking ex.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Slot-in ND filters

    Pay peanuts get monkey

  5. #5
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: Slot-in ND filters

    Cokin is a pretty hit and miss, i have seen people complaining about color cast, and it can be really extreme as if it is a colored filter, but the same filter can be having good reviews as well. probably the QC. For ND i guess having an even color cast, correction issin as bad as a GND with color cast.

    There is a filter called Hitech that is supposedly value for money ( cheaper than Lee ) and yet better than Cokin in QC. But i I am not sure if it is carried locally, and u might have to purchase online.

    ryan

  6. #6
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Slot-in ND filters

    Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    Cokin is a pretty hit and miss, i have seen people complaining about color cast, and it can be really extreme as if it is a colored filter, but the same filter can be having good reviews as well. probably the QC. For ND i guess having an even color cast, correction issin as bad as a GND with color cast.

    There is a filter called Hitech that is supposedly value for money ( cheaper than Lee ) and yet better than Cokin in QC. But i I am not sure if it is carried locally, and u might have to purchase online.

    ryan
    Not really QC. I see it in most heavy NDs. It is evident especially when stacked, not obvious when not stacked. But nowadays, I do not stack as much. And the color cast is, to a certain extent, fixable actually.

    Had looked up and down for Hitech. Cannot find in Singapore. Haizz.... But I heard Hitech can give a color cast too, just different color from Cokin.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 24th March 2010 at 11:33 AM.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Numnumball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central
    Posts
    13,914

    Default Re: Slot-in ND filters

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Had looked up and down for Hitech. Cannot find in Singapore. Haizz....
    Bro, their stuff are esp hard to find, ur best bet will be either Adorama or Bhphoto lo, need order online
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

  8. #8

    Default Re: Slot-in ND filters

    Quote Originally Posted by CamInit View Post
    Looking for slot-in ND filters above ND8 (3-stops) compatible with Cokin P-series holder. Are tian ya the only ones available here? Yes, I did search, but just in case I missed out. Can't seem to find any other brand. Cokin ones stop at ND8. OP has up to tian ya ND16 ($50). Considering to get a set of say, 2/4/8-stops.
    in general, i do not know of any slot in nd filters other than custom made ones.

    p series will result in risk of light leaks from the gap between the filter holder slot and the lens. trust me. if you have handheld a nd110 before (10 stops) unless you press it against the lens (which will result in unsharp images) you will have light leaks, even with 28mm (in 35mm film terms).

  9. #9

    Default Re: Slot-in ND filters

    ryan, hi-tech i have not seen in singapore either.

    i think you have to order.

    they do custom filters also , i think. someone in FM mentioned that he had ordered a slot in nd1000 from them before.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •