Thread: Fireworks

Default Fireworks

How to take photos of fireworks?

Recently I was at the Universal Studios and they had a fireworks display. However, I was unable to capture any nice shots. all my pictures turn out to be really smoky or the fireworks are not even visable at all. most of them turn out to blur.

i am using a canon ixus 80IS

Default Re: Fireworks

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonred View Post
    all my pictures turn out to be really smoky or the fireworks are not even visable at all.
    If it was smoky (from your viewing angle) by the time you were taking, whoever took the shots from your place will find their photos to be smoky as well.

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonred View Post
    most of them turn out to blur.
    You might need a tripod since the camera is dragging the shutter speed too long (since the environment was dark), which made it very prone to hand shake.
    思斌的部落格 - szeping.com
    Wedding/Event Photography - 10eyesGallery.com

Blog Entries

well. just some advice from me generally abt night photography.

if ur taking fireworks, predict where they will appear first, second pick a low iso, 3rd dun expose it too long.
    by predicting where its gonna be (like u hear the whoooosh sound) point it at some point in the sky and click shutter already.

leave it on for abt... lets say 5-10 secs exposure. the good thing abt this is tat fireworks are bright. cameras like bright burning stuff. u will get the image.

do it too long u get the smoke, do it too short u get nothing. its a ncie balance.

and use a tripod:P

thank you for your replies. i will invest in a tripod soon and try to take nice photos. one thing bad is i was using a p&s so i couldnt control the shutter speed and all.

Some P&S have fireworks mode. Did you check whether yours has it?

Quote Originally Posted by watchthewaves View Post
    Some P&S have fireworks mode. Did you check whether yours has it?
    yeapp i check, it doesnt have ):

Does it have a manual mode? If yes, Google 'How to shoot fireworks'. You'll find a lot more pertinent information like the black card technique and so on. You could also do a search here, as it's been discussed before.

Not that we don't want to share, but why type several pages of text when it's readily available on the net?

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Does it have a manual mode? If yes, Google 'How to shoot fireworks'. You'll find a lot more pertinent information like the black card technique and so on. You could also do a search here, as it's been discussed before.

Not that we don't want to share, but why type several pages of text when it's readily available on the net?
    thank you so much! (: i will try it out and i have also since gotten a DSLR just a week ago. so the next time i can try it out with the DSLR.

Besides the usual gears, you need a tripod, black card (or paper that is black) and a remote that is able to trigger bulb exposure.

Put settings to bulb exposure, ISO should be ideally low, like 200.
    Mount the camera on tripod and wait for the fireworks.
    Cover the lens with the black card
    When the fireworks start, trigger your camera.
    Expose your lens by removing the card when you like the pattern of the fireworks.
    Hope it helps!

5D3|1740L|70200F4L|40