Thread: Union

Default Union

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    Composition really.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    Human spirit of matrimony.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    Flourescent lighted room in a church, typical ROM mood.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    Open to absolutely all forms of critiques.

Default Re: Union

This was snapped during my bro's wedding just last Sat....BING! Anyone?

What on earth is this?
    A wedding is supposed to be a happy and festive occasion.
    You've managed to make it seem gloomy and sad. :X
    First of all, pick what you wish your focus to be on.
    You seem torn between wanting the entwined hands and the Marriage Cert
    in the picture.
    I don't know what to focus on in this case and because of it the picture does not
    evoke any feelings for me.
    Image is underexposed and there's a slight color cast in the bottom left corner.
    The image could do with some dodging on the hands as well.
    Overall if it were me I would not consider keeping this image for the couple at all
    unless this is the one and only shot I have of the Marriage Cert.
    Last edited by tainted; 23rd March 2010 at 10:25 AM.

It isn't easy to define a certain emotion for an union, since it is usually a mixture of happiness, sombre, respecting, sorrow and hope. By restricting your subject of focus on the marriage certificate however is doing yourself a disfavour in capturing the mood, especially since inanimate object are exceptionally harder to portray any sort of emotion. This is make worse in this case due to a messy (or lack thereof) DOF, with the words blurred unelegantly throughout.

If there was more coverage on the hand-in-hand, with just a slight hint that it is an union of some sort, then the picture would be subtle enough to tell people that it is a sombre ceremony, allowing the viewer to interpret the mood and perhaps even pay more attention to the rest of the picture. As it is at the moment, the picture is more a blatant announcement of a matrimony, with the main subjects (the people) as just an afterthought.

The lack of postprocessing is perhaps also another problem with this picture. With abstraction photos, you should not be concerned about depicting things as is. By doing selective dodging and burning, as well as selective sharpening and blurring, you could perhaps bring out the subject much more than it is. Forget about the table that take out half the frame. Blur out the outline of the bride even more. Selective desaturation may also work. Do whatever you feel creative about, and your picture could still be more outstanding than it is at the moment. Just remember in abstract, masking is your friend.

To The Cheat,

You are right on the emotions...Indeed, it wasn't easy....at that moment, mood was serious and sombre.
    You are right again on 'depicting things as is' and lack of PP. The pic presented above was left as-is.

Thank you very much for your pointers Sir.

Thanks Tainted for your feedback too!