Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: Anyone using Fader ND's or equivalent?

  1. #1

    Default Anyone using Fader ND's or equivalent?

    Opinions?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Anyone using Fader ND's or equivalent?

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulRussell View Post
    Opinions?
    I use a Fader ND with HV30 camcorder and 550D in video mode. It works great for me and allows me to shoot with the aperture I want. So far I've only used it outdoors, I think it's not so effective, or even necessary, indoors.

    The only drawbacks I find are that it did not come with a lens cap and that it has no hood to reduce flare. Don't have a solution yet for the hood, but I bought a lens cap for $10.

  3. #3
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: Anyone using Fader ND's or equivalent?

    Variable ND. Lovely one filter solution

    ryan

  4. #4

    Default Re: Anyone using Fader ND's or equivalent?

    Thanks Richard, Ryan.
    Do you guys know if anyone stocks them locally? Lightcraft are out of 77mm at the moment.

  5. #5
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: Anyone using Fader ND's or equivalent?

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulRussell View Post
    Thanks Richard, Ryan.
    Do you guys know if anyone stocks them locally? Lightcraft are out of 77mm at the moment.
    not for the variable ND filter though, u will have to get it online.

    ryan

  6. #6

    Default Re: Anyone using Fader ND's or equivalent?

    DIY. Stack PL over CPL and rotate PL. Though PL's hard to find nowadays.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Upper Serangoon
    Posts
    1,187

    Default Re: Anyone using Fader ND's or equivalent?

    Fader ND = Extreme crossbar effect at high stops with UWA.



    Vignette can be fixed by zooming a little to 11mm. But this cross bar effect...

    If you want it, PM Eugenep, he sells them.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Anyone using Fader ND's or equivalent?

    Quote Originally Posted by sabee View Post
    Fader ND = Extreme crossbar effect at high stops with UWA.



    Vignette can be fixed by zooming a little to 11mm. But this cross bar effect...

    If you want it, PM Eugenep, he sells them.
    Not sure if the Variable ND sold in mass order is not the original one from Lightcraft. The original one cost much more.

  9. #9
    Member dingaroo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Singapore | East
    Posts
    1,950

    Default Re: Anyone using Fader ND's or equivalent?

    Quote Originally Posted by wishxtreme View Post
    Not sure if the Variable ND sold in mass order is not the original one from Lightcraft. The original one cost much more.
    Cathay sells the Lightcraft for $180, if I'm not wrong.

    Cheers!
    A picture a day keeps the blues away!

  10. #10
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: Anyone using Fader ND's or equivalent?

    Quote Originally Posted by wishxtreme View Post
    Not sure if the Variable ND sold in mass order is not the original one from Lightcraft. The original one cost much more.
    not sure about the lightcraft variable ND, but i read from dpreview forums that the lightcraft is less linear in demarcating the various stops. I have yet to get this interesting crossbar effect, is it a result of turning past the proposed 8 stops of the lightcraft variable ND ?

    ryan

  11. #11

    Default Re: Anyone using Fader ND's or equivalent?

    I never saw the cross effect either. I heard it only happens when you stop down below intended max darkness.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Anyone using Fader ND's or equivalent?

    Quote Originally Posted by dingaroo View Post
    Cathay sells the Lightcraft for $180, if I'm not wrong.

    Cheers!
    It is Genus brand. Is Genus from Lightcraft? Not sure

  13. #13

    Default Re: Anyone using Fader ND's or equivalent?

    Quote Originally Posted by chalib View Post
    It is Genus brand. Is Genus from Lightcraft? Not sure
    No it's not. And I haven't read any good reviews about other Genus gear to I think I'll wait for the Lightcraft. Unless I suddenly win 4D and can get the Singh-Ray

  14. #14
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: Anyone using Fader ND's or equivalent?

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulRussell View Post
    Unless I suddenly win 4D and can get the Singh-Ray
    The singh ray slim version is actually still quite thick and fat, and will vignette easily on the wider lenses though. I was told the other makes were ? slimmer and lighter. For the SR version, u dun get cross bars going past 8 stops ( but they did mention in their little manual not to go past 8 stops as they will not be able to assure the quality produced ) . But i hardly shoot beyond the proposed max 8 stops anyway.

    ryan

  15. #15

    Default Re: Anyone using Fader ND's or equivalent?

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulRussell View Post
    No it's not. And I haven't read any good reviews about other Genus gear to I think I'll wait for the Lightcraft. Unless I suddenly win 4D and can get the Singh-Ray
    I agree. I think the Genus is way inferior to Lightcraft. Sometime back some bro was trying to bring in the Lightcraft but suddenly it stopped. Not sure?

  16. #16

    Default Re: Anyone using Fader ND's or equivalent?

    Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    The singh ray slim version is actually still quite thick and fat, and will vignette easily on the wider lenses though.
    Another good reason to wait for the lightcraft. Still, I've got another toy to play with today. My DV Tec DSLR rig arrived on the UPS van

  17. #17

    Default Re: Anyone using Fader ND's or equivalent?

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulRussell View Post
    Another good reason to wait for the lightcraft. Still, I've got another toy to play with today. My DV Tec DSLR rig arrived on the UPS van
    I heard that the cross effect is common to all such variable ND filters. Is there some reason to expect that the lightcraft will not have this problem?

  18. #18

    Default Re: Anyone using Fader ND's or equivalent?

    As far as I can tell from what I've read up on the web it's common to them all due to the nature of crossing two polarised lenses

  19. #19

    Default Re: Anyone using Fader ND's or equivalent?

    They have changed the way I have shot stuff on the Canon 5dmkII Before I had to compromise on shutter speed or iris to get the exposure I wanter, now I can get it exactly right with 1/60th shutter in and as wide open or closed down as I want more or less. Also the joy is the ability to gently adjust exposure by turning the variable ND wheel on the front of the lens which gives you what is missing from still camera 35mm lenses, smooth exposure change during a shot. With these you can.
    I quote others only to better express myself

  20. #20

    Default Re: Anyone using Fader ND's or equivalent?

    yeah, it was researching into video for the 5D MKiI that got me interested in these too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •