Thread: time to transfer files from memory card

Default time to transfer files from memory card

hey guys, im just wondering, how long does it take you to transfer 8GB of photos from a CF card (im using San Disk Extreme III) to your computer?

i transfer directly from my camera (5d mki) and it takes about 40 minutes which kills me!

is this normal?

i had a card reader before and it took about the same time.

Default Re: time to transfer files from memory card

File transfer will be faster when using San Disk Extreme USB 2.0 Card Reader to access San Disk Extreme II Compact Flash card via a USB 2.0 port.

Used to be easily available. Recently, I visited many shops before finding it at Max Photo Centrepoint even though it is still listed on San Disk web site.

During recently concluded exhibition, San Disk no longer exhibiting this card reader. Instead, they are promoting the reader using Firewire or the all-in-one card reader.

I'm using Sandisk All-In-One Card Reader and it takes only about 5 mins to transfer a full 8GB card.
    That's using a 5D and a 8GB Extreme III as well.

I feel the card reader is a pretty good investment.

Quote Originally Posted by theroo View Post
    hey guys, im just wondering, how long does it take you to transfer 8GB of photos from a CF card (im using San Disk Extreme III) to your computer?

i transfer directly from my camera (5d mki) and it takes about 40 minutes which kills me!

is this normal?

i had a card reader before and it took about the same time.
    May I ask what computer are you using? Is your USB port on your computer a USB 2.0 or USB 1.1? They have different transfer speeds, of course USB 2.0 will be faster.

Is this the first time you are transferring files, or the first time you have encountered slow transfer?
    A picture a day keeps the blues away!

Blog Entries

40mins to transfer 8g is far too long time..........too many factors could come into play... what are specs of your pc or laptop ? running too many apps on too small RAM ? security setting too high? laborious anti-virus checks? viruses already sitting in your PC/laptop ?

etc etc
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

I use a Lexar Firewire Card Reader and it takes about < 10mins. But as "ed9119" mentioned, a lot of other factors DO affect the transfer speed.

thanks for the all the advice guys!