Thread: Pre-1980s fungal lens worth cleaning?

Default Pre-1980s fungal lens worth cleaning?

Cleaned out old junk and found plethora of photographic equipment from pre-1980s (before I was born) from ancestors *haha*

The lens are all fungal attacked (since stored in PAPER BOX for 20+ years)
    Found the following:

1. Nikkor 43-86, 1:3.5
    2. Tokina AT-X 35-200, 1:3.5-4.5 (diameter 67mm but there's a Nikon mount converter)

and some other I haven't had time to document. And there's plenty of coloured filters and what not.

I'm an utter noob at photography, might be purchasing my first DSLR soon, so I was wondering if these stuff are worth salvaging.

Default Re: Pre-1980s fungal lens worth cleaning?

I too found a huge pile of stuffs late last year..
    Some of it worked pretty well but a hell lot had fungus.

Maybe those with a lot of fungus, don't bother cleaning them. I tried using some of the lenses on my previous EP-1 and current D90, they worked pretty ok. It's gonna be tedious using it as there might not be any AF nor metering.

My suggestion would be buy your DSLR with a kit lens and later on just try out the old lenses to see if they might be of any interest to you.

Bkt Timah

In my opinion, if you need that particular lens then clean it, ask for quotation for cleaning as well.

I got my Nikkor 70-210mm cleaned earlier this year as well. Made in 1988 and I spent $130.

Hope it helps.
    Nikon D90 | Flickr

lil red dot
    Blog Entries

If the Nikon is early 80s or 70s, it is probably a Ai(S) lens. You will need at least a DXXX series cam to get metering. And it will be MF of course.

And the tokina is probably a Ai(s) mount as well. But if you are wondering how much this lens is worth, this may give you an idea: Yes, someone bought it in very good condition for $5.50. USD of course.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 21st March 2010 at 04:21 PM.

yes, I will be getting my camera with kit lens, these will be just for fun if they are usable.

thanks for input everyone. think I will just leave them there until a later date to see what I can do.