View Poll Results: Where do u usually get ur photography gear from?

Voters
660. You may not vote on this poll
  • alan photo

70 10.61%
  • cathay photo

203 30.76%
  • john 3:16

109 16.52%
  • lord camera

26 3.94%
  • ms color

163 24.70%
  • orient photo

89 13.48%
  • parisilk

27 4.09%
  • slr revolution

111 16.82%
  • the camera workshop

29 4.39%
  • t.k foto technic

114 17.27%
  • other retail outlets

24 3.64%
  • online- dd electronics

15 2.27%
  • online- bargaincity.com.sg

3 0.45%
  • other online sources

45 6.82%
  • no money- clubsnap marketplace for 2nd hand gear

123 18.64%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Where do u usually get ur photography gear from?

Default Re: Where do u usually get ur photography gear from?

Clubsnap B&S & MS Color

Bought my cameras from MScolour (S11). Like the service there and Auntie Florence was patient and even served me a cup of iced water. Had encounters with Alan Photo (Funan) and John 3:16. AP(Funan) service was BAD. Asked him if he had this item and he just gave me a black face, looked down and shaked his head. Went to John 3:16. Was impressed with the service but i do agree with what some others had said, it tend to be a little over friendly. Samuel dimmed the lights in the shop just to show me how the camera performs at night. However, one thing i didnt like is that it's too crowded and he wasnt attending to me 1-1. As in if regulars enter the shop, he will talk to them and i'll be waiting for him to finish. Conclusion: MSColour is still my favourite

All my gears are brought from CS B&S..
    Save a lot $$..
    雅各士 - ジェイコブ
    EOS
    5D3 + Luxury Lenses|Hope To Make Someone Happy By Showing My Pictures|

have a qn here which camera shops offer such flexibility.

Anybody had such experience to split bill to make payment at Cathay Photo?

You split bill using cash and credit cards, would they accept?

Quote Originally Posted by CamInit View Post
    haha.. think OP had a new staff. Saw her last week, a Filipino girl or something, definitely not chinese! so you can try your luck again
    I went back to OP last week. Bro, no its confirmed....OP SUCKS!! Sorry if some people like OP...but really...if your not chinese..better not go there. People wont even approach and talk to you. Unlike AP, CP, SLRR, JO. When I arrived, there was this other ang mo guy and it seems the store staff couldnt communicate properly with him, the other ang mo guy was like..."huh? go downstairs? to canon?". FYI...there is NO CANON STORE DOWNSTAIRS in Sim Lim Square. Poor guy! Last time I tried to shop at OP...guy totally didnt understand what I said, was very bored or lousy when talking to me, but when chinese speaking guy beside me inquires...wow..he even took some lens and...well... thats that! Again..last week was worse... no one bothered to talk to me... I just left the store man! Without nothin... will never go back there! only tried to go back coz bro told me to try again, but heck, not a place for non chinese!
    Canon 550D + Some Lens + Love for Photography + Love for Cinematography

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by acevedre View Post
    I went back to OP last week. Bro, no its confirmed....OP SUCKS!! Sorry if some people like OP...but really...if your not chinese..better not go there. People wont even approach and talk to you. Unlike AP, CP, SLRR, JO. When I arrived, there was this other ang mo guy and it seems the store staff couldnt communicate properly with him, the other ang mo guy was like..."huh? go downstairs? to canon?". FYI...there is NO CANON STORE DOWNSTAIRS in Sim Lim Square. Poor guy! Last time I tried to shop at OP...guy totally didnt understand what I said, was very bored or lousy when talking to me, but when chinese speaking guy beside me inquires...wow..he even took some lens and...well... thats that! Again..last week was worse... no one bothered to talk to me... I just left the store man! Without nothin... will never go back there! only tried to go back coz bro told me to try again, but heck, not a place for non chinese!
    U are being very racist here.Anyway for OP,their service is different.You'll have to approach them to get the item you want.Their staff won't ask you whether you need help or not

My only complain is Orient Photo. Darn man, the guy i was talking too cant speak proper english! So if im not a mandarin speakin dude he wont serve me properly... he served the dude next to me answering everything and even bothered to pull out some lenses. For me notihing...i even told him this.. "i went here coz people say its good here", his reply was... "no not good".... (did he understand what i said or he really meant they s*ck?!?!" I dunno bros. I wont be going back to OP.
    As someone pointed out, they just hired a new non-Chinese staff who speaks English.

Quote Originally Posted by NewbieInCS View Post
    I get my lenses from whoever that has a sharp copy, even if the price quoted is a little higher. I get accessories from whoever is cheapest.
    +1 TOTALLY

Quote Originally Posted by king2penn View Post
    My preference would be john 3:16 for their outstanding customer service, though their prices may be abit on the high side.

Feel free to state your preference in this thread

-steven
    john 3:16 is good however their things is generally 10-30 more ex than cathay... and norm they let customers test their items readily... hence if i were to buy cam body, i wont be going there to buy... if for lens, i will cuz they dont mind letting me test till i got a sharp copy!

ms color. friendly, competitive price, and i dun have to travel to town
    Nikon D700| 70-200mm f/2.8G VR2| 28-70mm f/2.8D| 85mm f/1.8G| 50mm f/1.8G| SB900/SB28| MB-D10

Quote Originally Posted by cleonbus View Post
    U are being very racist here.Anyway for OP,their service is different.You'll have to approach them to get the item you want.Their staff won't ask you whether you need help or not
    Sorry bro if i offended you. But just a reminder... I aint being racist. If i were racist, i wouldnt have a chinese girlfriend and best friend. We are talking about customer service here. Yes i know OP is different, you have to approach them. But what i was saying was...even though i stick myself in there to talk with them, its hard for someone like me and many other who dont speak mandarin get the same customer services as many other mandarin speakers get.

Someone said they hired someone new...is it just me or i never saw someone there who looks like a foreigner.

Peace to everyone out there alright!
    Canon 550D + Some Lens + Love for Photography + Love for Cinematography

Blog Entries

Huh? Good service but waited 45 mins for a screen pro and known for their high price? Not for me

Quote Originally Posted by m3lv1nh0 View Post
    I find the folks at John 3:16 too friendly which create long queues for other customers. It took my friend 45mins just to get a simple screen protector for his 7D. The staff was just talking and taking their time with their regulars. Services is great, no doubt but if you need a fast purchase, you would be better off somewhere else.

I'll usually go to the usual shops like AP, OP, CP ... But John 3:16 is a definite no ! Too crowded... over friendly.... not the best prices...
    Think fast, aim for the best !

I only go to Cathay Photo for most of my equipments. That is the place you can be rest assured that the price is right and the integrity of the goods you are getting is complete.
    However, u must do your homework by checking more information including comparison of price for the goods you are getting.
    They are the biggest professional and consumer photographic retail store in Singapore. I always negotiate pricing with them and some time tell them off that others are cheaper. As a result I always get a cheaper price and better service because they know that I'm a sincere buyer.
    After you have become their sincere regular customer, they will be more welling to let u test some lenses, cameras, bags, filters and many others equipment as well
    By going to the shop and start testing on equipments will not be welcome by most or all the retail shop. U can go to respective showroom or agent to do testing of lenses till your heart contented.
    I alway google for review for the things that I want to buy over the internet and start asking around for quotation. So u walk in to any retail shop with confident that u will not get cheated or rip-off.

What I think most important is " U Must Know What U Want Firstly".
    F3,F4,D70s,D3,1424,1735,2035,2470,2870,3570,80200, 80400,28PC, 351.4,Z352,501.2,Z851.4,MIR500

Someone said they hired someone new...is it just me or i never saw someone there who looks like a foreigner.

Peace to everyone out there alright!
    I visited them 2 days ago and over heard a guy speaking fluent english to 2 Ang Mo customer.
    I guess that the "someone new" in their shop.
    F3,F4,D70s,D3,1424,1735,2035,2470,2870,3570,80200, 80400,28PC, 351.4,Z352,501.2,Z851.4,MIR500

Quote Originally Posted by king2penn View Post
    My preference would be john 3:16 for their outstanding customer service, though their prices may be abit on the high side.

Feel free to state your preference in this thread

-steven
    FYI
    John 3:16: For in this way God loved the world: that he gave the unique son, so that all the ones trusting in him would not perish, but have eternal life.

His business can hardly glow, but win a lot of people's heart.

May god bless him

Would give my vote to SLR Revo for the price + service. Went back to change my lens (within 3 days) with no black face from their sales manager + ask him to take 3 lens for me to do comparison before i decide which to replace. I am a newbie hence I took unusually long time to select another new lens.

John3:16 provides excellent service like most of people commented if you do not mind the long queues and slightly higher price (~10%)

John 3:16 for their friendly advice. Prices may be competitive or slightly higher but they're nice guys.

SLR Revo is good too they let me try all their lens w/o buying ! (also assure me no worries!)

They also ask me to try their lenses !
    I was looking for a walkaround constant 2.8 lens and tried the pentax da* 16-50 , he also took out some flashes to show me . He also let me try the 43mm ltd lens . While i was still looking at them he ask me if i wanted to try the da* 60-250 and he took it out for me !
    as i could not decide he told me no worries and never give me black face , he was smiling all the time!

Don't get me wrong that he was trying to push the sale of the 60-250 ... he really just wanted me to try it !

Good service from them so far with persuasion of other stuff, which may even be bad as sometime i like advice on the gear im gonna buy!
    Buy Film Not Megapixels

I may have voted MS Colour. However, I buy form whatever shop that has the best price.

sorry to hear about your bad experience... guess mileage varies for everybody. They (and Cathay Photo) do carry some of the rarer accessories that you don't normally find in other shops. That's what keeps me going back to poke and look around.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast