Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Post-Processing unfair, or part of Photography. What you think?

Default Re: Is Post-Processing unfair, or part of Photography. What you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    No, the term 'raw' implies that there is no processing done. The processing is done to create a jpg image (small resolution) embedded into the RAW image for easier viewing and those viewers who cannot directly read RAW data.
    Depending on camera vendor certain camera-specific information / settings are embedded into the RAW image that can be used in PP software (e.g. picture styles, white balance, focus points used).
    Is it to say that RAW picture from Canon, Nikon & etc is the same in PQ since file is not process ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy1 View Post
    Is it to say that RAW picture from Canon, Nikon & etc is the same in PQ since file is not process ?
    PQ = Picture Quality? - No. Each sensor works differently, each lens is different. Cannot be the same. Using RAW is only to skip the in-camera processing in order to have full control. PQ is defined by more than that.
    EOS

If you are a hobbist, PP till your are happy.

If you are a paid professional, PP till your clients are happy.

Does that apply to RAW ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    No, the term 'raw' implies that there is no processing done. The processing is done to create a jpg image (small resolution) embedded into the RAW image for easier viewing and those viewers who cannot directly read RAW data.
    Depending on camera vendor certain camera-specific information / settings are embedded into the RAW image that can be used in PP software (e.g. picture styles, white balance, focus points used).
    From what I know, RAW already carries pre-programmed codes and characteristics determined by the manufacturers, so in essence, RAW is not absolutely 'pure' and 'devoid' of any intervention.

Besides, on some higher end cameras, certain RAW characteristics like curves and response can be customized/adjusted by users.

Anyway, the whole discussion of 'purity' and 'faithfulness' in a technical endeavor is pointless. Even the human eye and brain makes adjustments and compensates when viewing a scene.

Blog Entries

Even in film photography, there is a lot of post processing going on in the darkroom. Dodge and burn, color balance, split toning, selective coloring are all terms that came from the film days. It is just a lot easier to do nowadays with software and digital media.

So you tell me, is it cheating?

Example of dodge and burn, "clarity" enhancement in film processing here:
    http://www.ephotozine.com/article/Cr...es-part-1-4850

Post is an artform in itself.

If you are a hobbist, PP till your are happy.

If you are a paid professional, PP till your clients are happy.
    LOL, so true

ultimately, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.. some see a photo without pp and say its nice.. others say a photo with pp is better.. i dun like pp either.. but i have to say pp does make some photos look way better.. no choice.. gotta learn to love it.. haha..

ok, so like that, better to buy P&S

to a newbie like me, i might be wrong, its ok to enhance the colors and all, but don change the colors......eg...blue sky becomes green or crimeson red.

My wife always tell me to not to pp too much, she always "demands" to see the original pictures before I do something to it, though I only enhance the colors. Frankly, thats all i knows for pp...

If my wife don't let me pp, i will spank her. I always pp my pics to get the desired effect that i want. Usually i shoot landscape and sometimes abit of increase in vibrance an saturation works really well. But then again, it may not be everyone's cup of tea.
    Last edited by mabmy; 23rd March 2010 at 10:46 AM.
    Your pictures speaks for you, not your camera.

Quote Originally Posted by mabmy View Post
    If my wife don't let me pp, i will spank her. I always pp my pics to get the desired effect that i want. Usually i shoot landscape and sometimes abit of increase in vibrance an saturation works really well. But then again, it may not be everyone's cup of tea.
    u wont if she holds the keys to buy new lenses

It is cheating and cheaters go to hell!

Of course not.

i think it is unfair that most people can only see a hint of the xmm in the next block, while i have my 600mm lens so i can see her in her full beauty.

now that's unfair! they should be allowed to use post processing to pp their friends or wife into something like the beautiful xmm, since they cannot use the 600mm lens to capture beautiful images of real beautiful xmm.

essentially there are few aspects when it comes to post-processing.

1. pp to cover up a mistake (wrong composition or sharpen cos oof or improve contrast)
    2. pp to cover up for lack of equipment (nightmare's example of 600mm lens vs 35mm or no tilt shift lens so correct distortion on buildings)
    3. pp to enhance the photo (use pp to smoothen open pores on model)

so imo, 2 and 3 are acceptable while 1 is "cheating".

It is up to the photographer him/herself.

i am just a little into photography now, and i have done some PP for more than 1 photo so far...

I don't have any guilt doing that, neither do i feel that i have to do PP for all the photos that i take.

If i see my pictures and i like them that way, to heck with what other ppl say about them. But if i am working for a client, that's another thing.

My point:Make up your mind about this issue once and for all and move on.
    Photography is not learned in a day's time. Camera:Fujifilm Prosumer Camera S2500HD

its always been around, even with film... some people dont actually realise this
    and it will defo be around for years to come... its just become hell obvious now because everyone can get photoshop or gimp or whatever and make their own little adjustments to photos whereas before it was the photo lab that did it all haha

If you find no satisfaction from pp,
    work on ur composition of ur shots
    A good photo tells a story. A gd pp can't change this fact

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12