135. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nikon D70

88 65.19%
  • Canon 300D

37 27.41%
  • Other (if so tell me which one)

10 7.41%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: hi and buying a new camera, d70, 300d...or...

Quote Originally Posted by mpenza
    Are you the minority or the majority? Most of us never had an SLR before. If this was such an important factor, Nikon would have monopoly of the whole camera market. Canon would have been killed off by its users and close shop.

was this a very important factor that influenced the your choice before you buy a Nikon system or an afterthought? Many SLR users do not have more than a couple of lens. Is support of old lenses going to be that important? Perhaps, you're aiming for the pros or lens collectors. Then, I'll leave it to them to answer

Anyway, if I want to invest, I'll buy the shares of the companies and use the shares to hedge against future prices of equipment.
    You see, Canon system owners will stay loyal to protect their prior investment. Likewise Oly, Nikon, Pentax, etc.

To a newbie, you want to start into a system that gives you the most choices. Even CANON uses it in their advertising. i quote: "With access to over 50 of Canon's superb EF lenses, ...."

So, it IS an important consideration.

I have 2 (count them, 2) Nikkors. That's all. But because of the backward and forward compatibility, I can mount my uncle's old nikkors, and he can mount my new ones.

I'm a camera user. The brand doesn't matter. I'll go with whatever is the best tools that meet my budget and requirements. Anyway, if I want to invest, I'll buy the shares of the companies and use the shares to hedge against future prices of equipment.
    I guess then that this whole discussion is purely academic..
    Last edited by gadrian; 25th March 2004 at 01:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gadrian
    D70+D100

SB24 - A mode - been there done that - ok exposure
    SB26 - A mode - been there done that - excellent exposure
    SB27 - A mode - been there done that - so so exposure
    SB28 - A mode - been there done that - excellent exposure
    SB28DX- A mode - been there done that - excellent exposure
    SB29s - A mode - been there done that - good exposure
    SB50DX - A mode - been there done that - excellent exposure
    SB80DX - A mode - been there done that - excellent exposure
    SB800 - i-TTL - been there done that - excellent exposure even with CLS up to 6 flashes tested
    SB600 - waiting to test..
    "A" mode works on all camera lah. A Vivitar 285 that is produced 20 years ago will work on all cameras now with the A mode. TTL is a different thing and for many used to automation, A mode is too troublesome I did mention the particular TTL mode was obseleted but not the flash. Many Nikon users are selling off their DX flash though, despite the availability of the very good A modes.

I, myself, have used automatic flash (SB24 and SB80DX for the most part) for two years.
    Last edited by mpenza; 25th March 2004 at 01:15 AM.

"A" mode works on all camera lah. A Vivitar 285 that is produced 20 years ago will work on all cameras now with the A mode. TTL is a different thing and for many used to automation, A mode is too troublesome

I, myself, have used automatic flash (SB24 and SB80DX for the most part) for two years.
    But............. it works........... thats the point.............

Quote Originally Posted by leonzhu
    To a newbie, you want to start into a system that gives you the most choices. Even CANON uses it in their advertising. i quote: "With access to over 50 of Canon's superb EF lenses, ...."

So, it IS an important consideration.

I have 2 (count them, 2) Nikkors. That's all. But because of the backward and forward compatibility, I can mount my uncle's old nikkors, and he can mount my new ones.
    That's my point mah. What I meant was for people with no Nikkors and no ready access to Nikkors. It probably doesn't matter much. And like I mentioned, Canon did made arrangements for the pros and not just leave them with a whole arsenal of lenses to be left for collectors.

It's also hard to predict what will happen 10, 20 or 30 years down the road (maybe Canon and Nikon merge? or one company go bust because of some internal control problems?).

That's my point mah. What I meant was for people with no Nikkors and no ready access to Nikkors. It probably doesn't matter much. And like I mentioned, Canon did made arrangements for the pros and not just leave them with a whole arsenal of lenses to be left for collectors.

It's also hard to predict what will happen 10, 20 or 30 years down the road (maybe Canon and Nikon merge? or one company go bust because of some internal control problems?).
    It does.. coz we have uncles and friends.. like me.. and leon's uncle.. that have this arsenal of lenses.. that we will gladly let them try.. and let them expose themselves to history..

--- sentence deleted----

But what I can be confident.. I repeat myself.. But what I can be confident.. is that ever since Nikon introduced the F-mount.. they stamped CONSISTENCY on the top plates of their cameras.. along with THIS CAMERA WILL PROBABLY OUTLAST ITS CURRENT OWNER!!!

History often paves the road to the future.. I believe that Nikon has done a good job in standardizing and maintaining its standards.. show me which other company that has..??
    Last edited by mpenza; 25th March 2004 at 01:49 AM.

SLR could be obseleted by advances in camera technology

gadrian, I didn't want to do it but I deleted a sentence which I find rude and uncalled for.
    Last edited by mpenza; 25th March 2004 at 01:49 AM.

It does.. coz we have uncles and friends.. like me.. and leon's uncle.. that have this arsenal of lenses.. that we will gladly let them try.. and let them expose themselves to history..

--- sentence deleted ----

But what I can be confident.. I repeat myself.. But what I can be confident.. is that ever since Nikon introduced the F-mount.. they stamped CONSISTENCY on the top plates of their cameras.. along with THIS CAMERA WILL PROBABLY OUTLAST ITS CURRENT OWNER!!!

History often paves the road to the future.. I believe that Nikon has done a good job in standardizing and maintaining its standards.. show me which other company that has..??
    What about Pre-AI lenses on current nikon bodies? You guys seem to be getting carried away here. I see hardly any relevance any of all this debate to a new adopter who may not even think beyond 2 lenses.
    Last edited by Zerstorer; 25th March 2004 at 01:51 AM.

please remove your sentence on me. I find it very rude and uncalled for.
    I dont think it is rude and uncalled for.. honestly.. I dont know where I will be tomorrow.. or in 5 days time.. or 10days times.. or 5 weeks or 10 years from now.. I may not even care about photography in 5 years time.. coz I may have had a change in my life.. or something.. no one can..

Perhaps SLR's would be obsoleted.. who knows.. perhaps.. perhaps.. perhaps..

As I was saying.. this discussion is just purely academic..

"A" mode works on all camera lah. A Vivitar 285 that is produced 20 years ago will work on all cameras now with the A mode. TTL is a different thing and for many used to automation, A mode is too troublesome I did mention the particular TTL mode was obseleted but not the flash. Many Nikon users are selling off their DX flash though, despite the availability of the very good A modes.

vivitar 285 dun have A mode lah i think.. only 4 distance modes, which is troublesome to configure.

Quote Originally Posted by leonzhu
    i take the EF-S kit lens as an example. What other camera can you use this on?
    FD lenses as well. can you mount it on your 1DMkII?
    Take note that the Nikkor Pronea IX lenses have the same liability.

Quote Originally Posted by Clown
    vivitar 285 dun have A mode lah i think.. only 4 distance modes, which is troublesome to configure.
    That's the Autoflash mode.

Btw.. Mpenza.. I was going to edit my posting.. as respect to you as moderator..

but since you were kind enough to do it.. I thank you.. btw.. it was pun intended.. pity at 2am in the morning.. you didnt see the pun in it..

BUt I thank you again for editing it out..

Quote Originally Posted by Clown
    Those're the automatic modes which are the same as the A modes on Nikon flash (I'm not too sure if Nikon cameras communicates the aperture and ISO settings for A modes but the communication is not necessary for A modes to work). On the top range Nikon flash, you change the "distance modes" displayed on the LCD by pressing buttons instead of turning the dial.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerstorer
    Take note that the Nikkor Pronea IX lenses have the same liability.
    Yes that is true.. many thought APS would be the way of the future.. pity they were sadly wrong..

gadrian, I didn't want to do it but I deleted a sentence which I find rude and uncalled for.

Well since you did it.. dont apologize.. the deed is done.. though i would have like to have been given the opportunity to do it myself..

A pity..

Oh whatever.. you are the moderator of this sub-forum anyway.. who am i.. just a measely lonesome photographer.. trying to make a point.. hahaha.. i think i better put this here.. PUN is intended.. please read with a smile on your face.. hahaha..

Well since you did it.. dont apologize.. the deed is done.. though i would have like to have been given the opportunity to do it myself..

A pity..
    It's ok. had thought you have gone off to bed no offence taken

I just wanted to balance out the views a little bit and did some reading up Am quite a newbie to SLR myself and hadn't known all the stuff about FD lens adaptor before yesterday.

one pt I had wanted to make earlier was that Nikon didn't really need to maintain support of the older lenses to attract new users cos the current range of good quality AF lenses are very good.... hence, the support for older lenses is a bonus for people with access to the MF lenses but not that important a factor for newbies/new comers.
    Last edited by mpenza; 25th March 2004 at 02:08 AM.

Some people spend so much time harping about the flaws and weakesses of the other system that they fail to see the flaws in their own. I wonder is it due to blind faith or ignorance?

It's ok. had thought you have gone off to bed no offence taken

I just wanted to balance out the views a little bit and did some reading up hadn't known all the stuff about FD lens adaptor before yesterday.
    Do you know there was also an adaptor to mount zeiss lenses on Nikons?

Do you know there was also an adaptor to mount zeiss lenses on Nikons?
    Likewise for EF mount.
    There's even those for M42, K mount..etc.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast