Thread: End of War

Default End of War

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    -- Everything. Im newbie who just bought my D90 last week. Please comment on anything you want.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    -- May the dead soilders & people who die in war RIP and our generation will do our part to build up what you fighted for.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    -- Sadness but proud of what they had done for us.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    -- Whatever that comes into your mind.
    Last edited by knoxknocks; 19th March 2010 at 02:33 PM.

Default Re: End of War

Respect for their sacrify.
    What goes around comes around

Hi, ShinH. I think the composition is fine, except that you need to know what you really want to depict in a photo.

For my case, I see it as such:

Sorry, I have to show the revised photo here, because just putting it in words doesn't really show anything.

In this case(my personal view), the emphasis is really on the cross which symbolise the spirit of bravery, loyalty, hope, brighter future, ........ as well as sacrifise. So it is good to shower it with more light rather than in deep shadow which really can make it look depressing (unless u want to project that kind of feeling).

Pushing the brightness, exposure and contrast to burn out the sky and the radio tower at the lower left corner helps simplify the composition(less competing elements). Also, crop a lilttle bit at the top and left to achieve more pleasing composition. That's all I have done; Of course, much more improvement can be done to this image if you know more advance photoshop techniques. (the cross may need a little bit of burning & dodging)

Anyway, you have captured a nice perspective by going low and shoot upward. I like this photo.

;

Thanks guys for ur comment.

@Johnlim: You are right, now the pic looks better. Thanks.

Johnlim: seems like a magical touch...ha...I was struggling to see the details on the cross prior to tt...
    Last edited by ovaltinemilo; 20th March 2010 at 01:00 PM.
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

i actually dont think johnlim's picture does it justice either. while the focus is on the cross, by just upping the general exposure he has blown out the sky and background. since the background isn't distracting (it's alr OOF), there's no need to sacrifice it like this. in fact, by blowing the sky/ building to white, it actually draws the eye away from the cross, because human eyes see pictures from midtones --> highlights --> shadows. the overblown highlights will detract attention from the cross.

instead, keeping the original exposure for the background, then manually masking and upping the exposure for the cross alone would be much better.

a little bit of work/attention to detail would make a nice capture an even better picture.
    Last edited by aprilmoon92; 20th March 2010 at 01:07 PM.

Can try aprilmoon92's mtd too if you wana preserve ur sky...I am juz glad to blow off the structure on the left as it's better to be left out..haha...anyway, there's limitation to post adjustment to exposure also..it's always better to get it right in-cam first...but nw, u can explore the curves...
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

I actually love the position of this photo.
    For my case, I would rather do HDR with this photo. It'll look great

black and white is just too dowdy

I don't know what I'm supposed to be seeing nor what it's supposed to representing.

Instead of a crucifix, I see a + sign right smack in the middle of the pic.

As for the B&W effect, it will indeed be "dowdy" if you don't understand contrast and exposure well enough. This picture is too flat.

Up Contrast and exposure while preserving the sky details.
    Add a little vignetting for more feel i hope.

Like ur composition of this picture. At fortcanning park right?
    Last edited by soons; 21st March 2010 at 01:19 AM.

the tilt, the huge amount of elements - all these result in a messy looking picture with the mood all ruined.

I think the cloud in the sky needs to go, or else the whole image will look too messy. The empty sky provides a breathing space.

As for the blown-out white building, I personally think it doesn't attract as much attention as the cross which dominate the foreground, so it is not much of an issue here; Moreover the background is adequately out of focus.

The cross may need a little more work. Composition is quite balance; it's nice to look at.

I love Michael Kenna's stunning black & white images (especially the "Concentration Camps" series) :

http://www.michaelkenna.net/imagearchive.php

It's full of inspirations.
    Last edited by johnlim; 21st March 2010 at 10:17 AM.

Thanks guys for the comments and trying to make my photo look better. Iím not just trying o take a nice picture but I trying to capture the story behind it as well. For example, shooting photo on a pretty girl, do you just want her to look pretty in your shot? Or you want to shoot that tears falling from her eyes to let you know she sad, or a smile that you know she is happy? Well, different people have different ways to look at things so not always can find someone who understand your photo. However, itís good to know that over here there are someone who shares the same thoughts and feels. Thatís the reason why I posted my photo here to share my thoughts with you guys. I will try to learn and hope soon will capture the beauty and as well as my feeling in my photos.

@Soons: yes, itís at fort canning. The place where British decided to surrender to the Japanese. Thatís the reason of using black and white to show the sadness as thatís when the 3 years of hell started before end of World War 2. I will leave the dark cloud which represent the sadness, brighten the cross to represent those who bravely scarified, the trees and building will represent us building up our country and providing shelters for our family.