Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bounce card/ omni bounce with 300D and 550ex

Quote Originally Posted by sehsuan
    what charger are you using? if one of the four batteries isn't fully charged, you may be mistaken by your current charger. btw, these are the same batteries i use for my oly 4040, 550EX, bicycle lights, CD player, shaver (!!!), alarm clock etc...

powerz

at first i thought eastgear displaying their products

Quote Originally Posted by mpenza
    not bad I've quite a few sets too and I numbered each battery too.
    yes! have to number them or will lost track who is paired with who. i mean the batt themselves.

perhaps 1300 is not enuff?

Wow! Sehsuan, you tok tong man! hahahaha

I write numbers on mine too. I have about 36 2300. This way I can pair them together all the time. Besides charging them would be easier as I know which 'group' has been charged and which ones not.

Deregistered

see what i mean? jbma is the higher mountain that i am... teeheehee

zodnm + sumball, actually nothing special la. backup batteries are waaay cheaper than a flash that can't fire, or a camera with no power.

what charger are you using? if one of the four batteries isn't fully charged, you may be mistaken by your current charger. btw, these are the same batteries i use for my oly 4040, 550EX, bicycle lights, CD player, shaver (!!!), alarm clock etc...

well sehsuan
    u're missing one extra set to complete the collection...

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by xmen1977
    well sehsuan
    u're missing one extra set to complete the collection...
    you know what to give me for christmas or my birthday already

you know what to give me for christmas or my birthday already
    That's cheap for X'mas gift hahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by mervlam
    that 550EX is a darn powerful flash... plus u are in your room with lots of wall and ceiling space to bounce the flash off... try that in open space and you will note the difference.

then the problem will come the harsh shadows resulting from flash usage. to obtain natural looking lighting, the photographer must learn to balance the correct amount of ambient lighting and flash power output.

Thanks all for replying,

I have this pdf that explains some fill flash technique, can't rem from which webby. dun think i shld put it on my webby, anybody wants it, pm me your email. it suggest like +/- Ev for ambient and +/- Ev for flash/subject to achieve different effects.

I also understand that NiMH cycles much faster than alkaline, told to me by a alkaline eating photog who recently discovered NiMH

except their capacity is lower

TME, lithium rechargeables, what do you recharge them with, anyway?

my guess is the capacitors in the flash have to be charged to a minimum before the flash can fire, otherwise you'll get a teenyweeny glow across your flashtube that no one can see

Hmm.... as for rechargeable lithiums.... I thought they might be like the type we use in our handphones.... whoever manufactures them would of course sell the proprietary charger.... or there might be a standard. I'm not if I remember correctly or not.... but it would be a pretty nifty option since lithium batteries are light....

Quote Originally Posted by Zerstorer
    NiCds have all along been recommended for flash usage for many years as they provide the fastest recycling times.

But I notice that NiCds tend to develop memory quite quickly even if u do the proper discharge/charge cycle... I have dumped quite a number over a few years when I was playing with radio control cars.... both the AA types and the high powered 1800 - 2000 mAh pack types for the cars... so even if they cycle fast, what about their life span? Any idea? Cos if the life span is satisfactory (to u), then I might just grab some.... , sure beats throwing Energisers all the time....

NiMH recycles as fast as NiCD and coupled with less memory effect and higher capacity are the best choices for flash now.

NiMH recycles as fast as NiCD and coupled with less memory effect and higher capacity are the best choices for flash now.

Thanks! What about for body? I think they should be more lasting? I'm referring to film body cos that is what I use. Thanks again!

long lasting compared to what?

below's my hypothesis. would appreciate if someone in the know correct any errors

the reason why NiMH (and NiCD) recycles flash faster is probably due to the ability to supply a larger current (to charge up the capacitor?) without a big drop in voltage. Alkalines are not able to supply a current as large as NiMH and hence take longer time to recharge the flash capacitors.

for film body, there generally is no need for large current.... probably alkalines will last longer because it has larger capacity (3500mAH?) compared to NiMHs. But on digital bodies, the LCD/EVF requires a supply of relatively high current. Alkalines can't sustain this high current without affecting the characteristics of the chemicals(?) and hence generally does not last as long as NiMH.

long lasting compared to what?

below's my hypothesis. would appreciate if someone in the know correct any errors

the reason why NiMH (and NiCD) recycles flash faster is probably due to the ability to supply a larger current (to charge up the capacitor?) without a big drop in voltage. Alkalines are not able to supply a current as large as NiMH and hence take longer time to recharge the flash capacitors.

for film body, there generally is no need for large current.... probably alkalines will last longer because it has larger capacity (3500mAH?) compared to NiMHs. But on digital bodies, the LCD/EVF requires a supply of relatively high current. Alkalines can't sustain this high current without affecting the characteristics of the chemicals(?) and hence generally does not last as long as NiMH.
    Hmm... interesting.... not sure if it is right but sounds reasonable.

So u would think that I am better off using alkalines for the body cos they last longer? And stick to NiMH for the flash? Thanks!

I would use rechargeable NiMH to save costs and environment

OT, but isn't the correct term "cycle" rather than "recycle"? as in power "cycle" the computer?

By the way, does anyone know whether using the E-TTL function or the manual flash function (at <1/1) will use more power?
    i noticed that everytime i use e-ttl, the flash has to recharge after each shot, but while i used manual at 1/2, i can take shots non-stop.

hmm... I think you're correct. cycle is the right word.
    Last edited by mpenza; 25th March 2004 at 09:54 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast