Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sad truth

Quote Originally Posted by zekai
    please consider using shorter sentences. I do not understand what you are trying to convey?
    I shall summarize in point form.

1) Although we speak Singlish, we can also speak Proper English.
    2)Singlish is not something taught in school, it is something that you slowly pick up if you stay in Singapore long enough.
    3)If they compare our Enlish to the American, then how will their Mardarin fare when we compare it to China?
    4)Singlish is a unique culture for singapore and is nothing to be ashamed of

true, i'm not ashame of singlish.
    but it is also true that the level of english used in school is horrible.

no finger pointings, but i feel the teachers in schools are not watchful on the kid.
    i've been giving tuition for a couple of years, and singlish is really contagious. :P

i've had a china student once, and yes, he speaks singlish.
    how many years had he been in singapore? 3 years...OMG.
    i had a deal with him, every single thing he speaks singlish, he'll have to write me a composition on "why i speak singlish?"

i would tell him, speaking singlish is not wrong, but speaking singlish at the wrong time is wrong. or should i say, speaking singlish only is a strict NO.

sad, but true. there're a huge portion of singaporeans speaking in singlish only.
    and that, is the impression that is imposed upon us....haiz....

Quote Originally Posted by Ice
    I shall summarize in point form.

1) Although we speak Singlish, we can also speak Proper English.
    2)Singlish is not something taught in school, it is something that you slowly pick up if you stay in Singapore long enough.
    3)If they compare our Enlish to the American, then how will their Mardarin fare when we compare it to China?
    4)Singlish is a unique culture for singapore and is nothing to be ashamed of
    ok......................

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12