Thread: cheaper alternative to zoom lens?

Default cheaper alternative to zoom lens?

hi! all. was just wondering if theres a cheaper alternative than investing in a zoom lens. just curious as i'm very new to dslr.

Default Re: cheaper alternative to zoom lens?

no. Prime lens are more ex. If you are new to dslr, use your current kit lens and test out the range. There will be a range that you always use. Example you have a lens that gives you 18-55. And for most of your shots you use 35mm range. Maybe you can consider buying a 35mm lens next time. But of cuz it will be much more expensive. Use your gears, and explore their limitations then expand your gears along the way. There is no cheaper way to get the range you want using prime lens setup. If you want a good zoom range you can use a travel lens. 18-200. Is light, easy to use and you dont need to change lens when you travel. Cheaper then you buying the whole lens range. always think of what you need and what you want. Get what you need first. Wanting an item is ok if you have the extra cash. cheers
    Nikon D3s , 300s 24 - 70 70 -200 14 -24 35 SB900 SB910
    Jump Ship from canon to Nikon

depending on the situation, there is a free alternative. Simply get closer to the subject.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

yes, zoom with your leg

how about putting a magnifying galss in front of the lens? that would be cheap!!!!!!
    7D w/ 70-300mm/50mm1.8/70-200F4L/17-50mm F2.8

Quote Originally Posted by jed091270 View Post
    how about putting a magnifying galss in front of the lens? that would be cheap!!!!!!
    That will be macro shooting
    Take the shot!

You can buy good manual focus zoom for peanuts.
    Home is where the heart is.

Quote Originally Posted by jed091270 View Post
    Excuse me?

Swarovski Magnifying Glass
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Usually the zoom kit lens by individual camera company is relatively cheap..

However, u never mention,

(1) Your definition of cheap ? $500 can be cheap to some where expensive to others !
    (2) Your definition of zoom ? 17-35 is zoom, 17-55 is zoom, 18-200 also is zoom lens.. it helps to state ur zoom focal length
    (3) Aperture is fixed or varies for zoom lens, prepared to pay more for big fixed aperture zoom lens, especially those f2.8 ones !

Quote Originally Posted by wolvie77 View Post
    hi! all. was just wondering if theres a cheaper alternative than investing in a zoom lens. just curious as i'm very new to dslr.
    Leg power.

Cheers

The only lenses cheaper than most zoom lenses would be old MF lenses I guess, and only some specific ones.

Blog Entries

Zooms ..in the first place .... were created as alternatives to prime lenses where theoratically you could shoot at an infinite number of focal lengths than any single focal length prime lens

Yes there is another cheaper alternative to zoom lens.... get a cheap but good 50/1.8 ... and use your own legs to zoom near/far
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

hmm....i read about this but i am not too sure how they connect it to the equipment...

Afocal photography. uses a spotting scope attached to the camera to shoot. with this mode, you need to view TTL and shoot.
    Photography is not learned in a day's time. Camera:Fujifilm Prosumer Camera S2500HD

Quote Originally Posted by Pit01 View Post
    with this mode, you need to view TTL and shoot.
    We have a different term. "DSLR".
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by wolvie77 View Post
    use the kit lens come with your camera, that is the most affordable and versatile zoom lens.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Fireemblem View Post
    yes, zoom with your leg
    made me LOL

anyways i bet TS means a zoom lens like 18-200,18-250?? if your are using canon or Nikon thoes lens are quite expensive $900-$1300 . a cheaper alternative would be 3rd party lens like sigma or tamron? not sure about the one with VC but the tamron 18-200 without VC only cost $380 if thats considered cheap

Quote Originally Posted by Recoil3d View Post
    made me LOL

anyways i bet TS means a zoom lens like 18-200,18-250?? if your are using canon or Nikon thoes lens are quite expensive $900-$1300 . a cheaper alternative would be 3rd party lens like sigma or tamron? not sure about the one with VC but the tamron 18-200 without VC only cost $380 if thats considered cheap
    Gonna be fun using it at the long end with small aperture but without VC.