Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 82

Thread: 550d fan looking for a good k-x-(plus)-accessories deal

  1. #1

    Default 550d fan looking for a good k-x-(plus)-accessories deal

    Hi pentaxions,

    Had been a fan of the eos 500d/550d fan for months.but find it difficult to cough up to the high price.Then came the popularity of the k-x,now feel like getting it...... although dpreview put 550d's IQ way above k-x's.

    thinking of getting the k-x with kit 1.

    with
    1)EF 50mm f2.8 equivalent lens for pentax (both price wise and quality wise)
    2)a cheap and best tripod (i have very shaky hands)
    3)Only one set of long lasting batteries
    4)one good 4 gb memory card (class 4 or 6 depending on best value)

    and

    5)Is the kit 2 lens a good deal?useful? resaleable?

    Pls enlighten me with your knowledge and usher me into the rebellion.

    May the force be with us.
    Last edited by afzp25; 16th March 2010 at 11:32 PM.

  2. #2
    Member reyreina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Singapore, Boon Lay
    Posts
    433

    Default Re: 550d fan looking for a good k-x-(plus)-accessories deal

    Welcome.

    Actually most of your questions can be answered by using the search box or googling.

    http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/p...-vs-d5000.html
    http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/p...d-dilemma.html
    http://forums.steves-digicams.com/wh...pentax-kx.html
    http://forums.steves-digicams.com/wh...-t1i-500d.html
    http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...m/1332163.html
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=34024707
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=34551644
    http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/sh....php?t=2559980

    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=534146
    Our pentax price list, 50 2.8 macro should cost 600+

    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661628
    Similar 1 week old tripod thread, you can find more if you don't search for results within pentax

    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showt...hlight=battery
    Get Eneloops.

    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showt...hlight=sandisk
    Get Sandisk if you think Kingston has issues

    No one can tell you whether kit 1 is good, kit 2 is good, kit 3... etc. Because that will be too general a thing to say. Value for money, yes, they definitely are. Let us know if you require the 50-200mm/300mm FL before we can advise future.

  3. #3

    Default Re: 550d fan looking for a good k-x-(plus)-accessories deal

    I dunno about you but, if my heart is set on something that I've been eyeing for months I wouldn't settle for anything else!

    And from the way you typed, in your opinion the 550D is way better than the K-x. (that's what I gather)
    You are settling for second-best which is the K-x and not based on its performance but its popularity which I think is actually the wrong thing to decide on though. I mean if you say best-bang for buck then its a different story.

    If i were you and proceeded with my purchase of the K-x, I would never love the camera because it's not what I wanted right from the start.

    I think you should save more and buy the 500D/550D instead.

    Pardon me if I sounded harsh! But I'm just stating my point of view... Peace!
    Last edited by whiteshades; 17th March 2010 at 12:53 AM.

  4. #4
    Member scorpioh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    1,973

    Default Re: 550d fan looking for a good k-x-(plus)-accessories deal

    Quote Originally Posted by reyreina View Post
    Welcome.

    Actually most of your questions can be answered by using the search box or googling.

    http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/p...-vs-d5000.html
    http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/p...d-dilemma.html
    http://forums.steves-digicams.com/wh...pentax-kx.html
    http://forums.steves-digicams.com/wh...-t1i-500d.html
    http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...m/1332163.html
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=34024707
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=34551644
    http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/sh....php?t=2559980

    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=534146
    Our pentax price list, 50 2.8 macro should cost 600+

    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661628
    Similar 1 week old tripod thread, you can find more if you don't search for results within pentax

    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showt...hlight=battery
    Get Eneloops.

    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showt...hlight=sandisk
    Get Sandisk if you think Kingston has issues

    No one can tell you whether kit 1 is good, kit 2 is good, kit 3... etc. Because that will be too general a thing to say. Value for money, yes, they definitely are. Let us know if you require the 50-200mm/300mm FL before we can advise future.
    You sure are very helpful.
    I say the lens is the soul of a camera. What about the body? Well, it's just the body...

  5. #5

    Default Re: 550d fan looking for a good k-x-(plus)-accessories deal

    That's exactly what I want to tell the TS. I agree with you. TS you should really consider carefully before you decide to buy something. If in your heart you think the 550D is the best then just get that camera. You only get the KX if you are sure it will satisfy your needs and wants.

    Quote Originally Posted by whiteshades View Post
    I dunno about you but, if my heart is set on something that I've been eyeing for months I wouldn't settle for anything else!

    And from the way you typed, in your opinion the 550D is way better than the K-x. (that's what I gather)
    You are settling for second-best which is the K-x and not based on its performance but its popularity which I think is actually the wrong thing to decide on though. I mean if you say best-bang for buck then its a different story.

    If i were you and proceeded with my purchase of the K-x, I would never love the camera because it's not what I wanted right from the start.

    I think you should save more and buy the 500D/550D instead.

    Pardon me if I sounded harsh! But I'm just stating my point of view... Peace!
    Last edited by aaron80; 17th March 2010 at 01:09 AM.
    Life is like photography, we develop from the negatives.

  6. #6

    Default Re: 550d fan looking for a good k-x-(plus)-accessories deal

    Quote Originally Posted by afzp25 View Post
    dpreview put 550d's IQ way above k-x's.
    Where did that come from?

  7. #7
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: 550d fan looking for a good k-x-(plus)-accessories deal

    Quote Originally Posted by afzp25 View Post
    ..... although dpreview put 550d's IQ way above k-x's.
    DPReview only did a hands-on PREVIEW on the camera. And in their previews, no tests are done and no conclusions are drawn. So I do not know how you managed to come to that conclusion.


    And my take on your situation. Since you are such a fan boy of 550D/500D, you should just get one of the canons. Stay happy with what you think is the best. You can always buy used. Yes... even for 550D. There are some people who use credit card installment to buy things and turn around and sell those things immediately in BnS. This is also known as "extending" their credit line.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 17th March 2010 at 04:35 AM.

  8. #8

    Default Re: 550d fan looking for a good k-x-(plus)-accessories deal

    Quote Originally Posted by afzp25 View Post
    Hi pentaxions,

    although dpreview put 550d's IQ way above k-x's.

    Pls enlighten me on that part by showing the portion where dpreview says that ?


    I do agree with the replies here, if your heart is set on 550D since u are a fan of it, you should go for it . Take your time to save , you might be able to get 550D later at lower price by waiting or 2nd hand with warranty
    Last edited by beniz; 17th March 2010 at 04:59 AM.
    Pentax K-X | FA 50 F1.4 | Panasonic GX1 | 14-42mm X |

  9. #9

    Default Re: 550d fan looking for a good k-x-(plus)-accessories deal

    Quote Originally Posted by afzp25 View Post
    although dpreview put 550d's IQ way above k-x's.
    i think people who spend their time caring too much about iq at the entry dslr level as a hobbyist are perhaps, better off not buying pentax.

    that's just me, maybe. in the end, nothing beats the gear-whoreability of the bigger brands.

    whipping out a pentax will only get you awkward stares and "what?!?!?!?!" looks from the people who use magnifying glasses to examine the lcd monitors of 100% crops of images they will never print large.
    Last edited by night86mare; 17th March 2010 at 06:27 AM.

  10. #10

    Default Re: 550d fan looking for a good k-x-(plus)-accessories deal

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    DPReview only did a hands-on PREVIEW on the camera. And in their previews, no tests are done and no conclusions are drawn. So I do not know how you managed to come to that conclusion.
    dunno, i went to give him benefit of doubt, read the 500d tests, also no mention of k-x anywhere.

    i went to look at k-x test, dpreview states that it is:

    Crucially the image quality does not lag behind the technical specification. The image output at base ISO shows good detail and colors but where the K-x really starts to shine is in low light. Its high ISO JPEGs are possibly the best of all current DSLRs with an APS-C size sensor; they certainly beat any of its direct competitors. The omission of visible AF points might be a serious drawback for some photographers but if you're not one of them with the Pentax K-x you can bag yourself a very capable entry-level DSLR at a bargain price.
    anyways, i think doesn't matter what we say, if ts will get k-x, then sell it later on to get canon 550d, that is life, and his money.

  11. #11
    Senior Member creampuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Dover
    Posts
    5,116

    Default Re: 550d fan looking for a good k-x-(plus)-accessories deal

    Do you want to be in the minority?
    Or from our perspective, be part of the elite?
    Pentax is reserved for the select few who are spared the agony of finding that their consumer range cameras are superceded by another model within a year or so, making their current model... outdated.
    Do you want to put all your money into a DSLR but got no money left for lenses?
    Pentax are for people who epitomize the "Be Interesting" slogan. Are your up to it?

  12. #12
    Senior Member darrrrrrrrrr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,208

    Default Re: 550d fan looking for a good k-x-(plus)-accessories deal

    Quote Originally Posted by creampuff View Post
    Do you want to be in the minority?
    Or from our perspective, be part of the elite?
    Pentax is reserved for the select few who are spared the agony of finding that their consumer range cameras are superceded by another model within a year or so, making their current model... outdated.
    Do you want to put all your money into a DSLR but got no money left for lenses?
    Pentax are for people who epitomize the "Be Interesting" slogan. Are your up to it?
    But my K20D is outdated already

    Back when I was considering my first DSLR, I was a big fan of the Nikon D70S, but for some then-inexplicable reason I felt compelled to buy a K100D instead. Now I know what the reason is: buying a Pentax was a subscription to a lifetime membership to the Pentax community/family in Singapore, which has only grown in size, enthusiasm and passion since. I've enjoyed the Pentax monthly outings far more than any other outings and I've learnt so much from the seniors. I'm not sure if you'll find this instant welcome into a community if you go with the other camera, since almost everyone's uncle and cousin has one of them Of course, you could always come for the Pentax outings regardless of the camera you use, but it's just different when you can't try out all the poison.

  13. #13
    Member banana0ne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    jurong west
    Posts
    1,488

    Default Re: 550d fan looking for a good k-x-(plus)-accessories deal

    Higher IQ? I think it is measured by the MEGAPIXEL...

    peace...
    I dunno!!!
    It's banana-zero-neh. :)

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Central Singapore
    Posts
    577

    Default Re: 550d fan looking for a good k-x-(plus)-accessories deal

    Quote Originally Posted by darrrrrrrrrr View Post
    But my K20D is outdated already

    Back when I was considering my first DSLR, I was a big fan of the Nikon D70S, but for some then-inexplicable reason I felt compelled to buy a K100D instead. Now I know what the reason is: buying a Pentax was a subscription to a lifetime membership to the Pentax community/family in Singapore, which has only grown in size, enthusiasm and passion since. I've enjoyed the Pentax monthly outings far more than any other outings and I've learnt so much from the seniors. I'm not sure if you'll find this instant welcome into a community if you go with the other camera, since almost everyone's uncle and cousin has one of them Of course, you could always come for the Pentax outings regardless of the camera you use, but it's just different when you can't try out all the poison.
    Darrrrrrrrrrrrrr.... if your K20D is outdated, my K10D is even more outdated

    While I understand the need to get better ISO, more megapixels, and higher specs but i just feel that my current DSLR is giving me a lot of room to experiment, learn, and improve. I mean where else can I get a DSLR for S$480 2nd hand. Well... actually, my budget doesn't allow me to upgrade to K7 or K-X...
    Panasonic FZ28 Shooter
    flickr

  15. #15

    Default Re: 550d fan looking for a good k-x-(plus)-accessories deal

    Quote Originally Posted by afzp25 View Post
    Had been a fan of the eos 500d/550d fan for months.but find it difficult to cough up to the high price.Then came the popularity of the k-x,now feel like getting it...... although dpreview put 550d's IQ way above k-x's.
    Obviously you are biased towards the 550D already since the dpreview's preview says nothing of that sort that you start imagining things. In fact if you assume that the 550D is using the same sensor as the 7D, then the K-x have shown to be at least as good as the 7D sensor.

    But agree with the others, maybe it's better to surrender to your prejudices than to settle for what you perceive is second best.
    I don't subsidize marketing campaigns.

  16. #16

    Default Re: 550d fan looking for a good k-x-(plus)-accessories deal

    If you are looking at the $1300 price point, I'd have to agree that the 550D might well be the winner for the moment (certainly 'new is better' in this case). That is of course higher MP, higher ISO and better high ISO NR is what you are looking for. All other features are comparable to cameras a generation older imo. Do not forget as well that MP entails more storage space and a faster PC to process. Better high ISO NR is of course good, but question how often you need it, and for what (shooting the "Private Life of Mammals II" ?)

    IMHO, at the price point of $800 and under. The Kx is still unbeatable at the moment.

    So it depends on your budget. As the others have mentioned, since you are already impressed with the 550D specs, if you have the means, just go ahead and get it. That will give you better peace of mind. No point spending money and then get laughed at for using an 'unknown' brand.


    Do take into considerations of future costs like lenses and accessories.

    reyreina already pointed out the other queries.

    good luck

  17. #17

    Default Re: 550d fan looking for a good k-x-(plus)-accessories deal

    http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM go this link to compare Kx with others.. I m sony user however i m very impressed with Kx noise control .. if i dont own Dslr this is my camera .. the price and the IQ u get beat canon 550d anytime

  18. #18

    Default Re: 550d fan looking for a good k-x-(plus)-accessories deal

    Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    That is of course higher MP, higher ISO and better high ISO NR is what you are looking for.
    Erm.. higher MP, yes. Not higher ISO though, it's the same as the K-x. High ISO NR? That's subjective, haven't seen a conclusive review yet.
    I don't subsidize marketing campaigns.

  19. #19

    Default Re: 550d fan looking for a good k-x-(plus)-accessories deal

    Hi TS , U share the same problem with my friend

    He too …. Before he get his DSLR , his heart is already settle with Canon . But he keep telling me that “Kx really chaep hor . feel like buying , but it’s Pentax leh” (I was thinking ….so ?????) .

    Anyway I leave the choice to him. My duty is to show him how wonderful Kx is. I can let him try , shoot , play around with my Kx but if he still prefer the Brand thingy I really can’t do anything (except maybe help him print a Canon sticker to paste on a KX if he really get one … lol).

    Anyway with $1350 he settle with his 550D . He is happy with it but also broke with no extra cash to even buy Canon 50mm F1.8 @ $129 purchase with purchase.

    For me …. I am very happy with my KX ($900 spend having 2 lenses) and maybe going for my third one the near future with all the money save.

    Regards
    Simon

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    9,780
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: 550d fan looking for a good k-x-(plus)-accessories deal

    TS, if your heart is with 500D then just get 550D, if heart is with KX then probably wait for 645D........too bad there isn't a 645X from Pentax ............hope that helps

    ............. it might be better to just go and try them out and then decide which is best
    Nikomi Canpen Zenten :eek:
    Not exactly 100% Natural but definitely the closest you can get to it

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •