View Poll Results: Would you change lens at all?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Change lens and try to capture the moment hoping it is still there when you are ready

14 46.67%
  • Just shoot with the current lens as a captured picture is better then missing the moment by the time you attached the new lens

17 56.67%
  • Never happen to me as I always anticipate my shots and ready my lens for the occasion

1 3.33%
  • If a different photographic opportunity other than what I had anticipated presented itself to me, I rather give it a miss anyway.

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Would you change lens

Question Would you change lens

Suppose a photographic opportunity presents itself but the lens attached to the camera does not do the picture justice, what would you normally do?
    Last edited by crazypaladin; 21st March 2004 at 06:43 PM.

If the circumstances allow and I've got a better choice of lens, why not?

Hi Kit, long time no see. Anyway, another interesting question arises from this poll.

Do you normally anticipate what your camera setup would be (type of lens, flash needed or not, iso setting, metering mode etc) before you embark on your shoot? If so, how "accurate" is your preparation for the shoot?

I am asking as many a time I had to change lens to suit the moment and quite a hassle. Was wondering what other photographers are doing? Need to tap into their experience.

Depends on the frame of opportunity. I will squeeze off a few frames with my mis-specified lens, then quickly change to a lens with a more suitable focal length, and if the moment is still present, shoot again.

This sort of thing happens quite frequently to me as I'm a prime shooter. Most important thing is to anticipate the type of photo opportunities coming up and be prepared accordingly, as well as to practise lens changing technique. Going out on a photo shoot for me is like putting on SBO... 24mm in one pocket, 105mm in another, 50mm on camera, and ready to change in a second. Or if I can take the weight, 24mm on one camera, 50mm on another, which is safer in terms of not missing photo opportunities...

i normally use a 32-96mm f2.8 zoom lens that works well in most circumstances for me. otherwise i'll "zoom with the feet" or shoot first and crop later.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

Quote Originally Posted by crazypaladin
    Hi Kit, long time no see. Anyway, another interesting question arises from this poll.

Do you normally anticipate what your camera setup would be (type of lens, flash needed or not, iso setting, metering mode etc) before you embark on your shoot? If so, how "accurate" is your preparation for the shoot?

I am asking as many a time I had to change lens to suit the moment and quite a hassle. Was wondering what other photographers are doing? Need to tap into their experience.
    Yes, I roughly know what I'm going to use before a shoot so I'll bring whatever I need. That being said, I try to bring all my lenses when possible. If not, I'll bring a zoom that I use most(in my case, a wide angle zoom). I shoot architectural most of the time so for night shoot or when I know I need to level horizons and verts, I'll bring my tripod along. As for iso setting, I use a DSLR so I can change it on the spot, same with metering mode.

I will shoot first then change lens hoping to capture the moment again. The best is to have two camera each attach with a different range of lens. This work for digital but might not be practical for flim.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisleng
    I will shoot first then change lens hoping to capture the moment again. The best is to have two camera each attach with a different range of lens. This work for digital but might not be practical for flim.

Not to mention very costly for film as well...

Quote Originally Posted by crazypaladin
    Suppose a photographic opportunity presents itself but the lens attached to the camera does not do the picture justice, what would you normally do?
    I would even change lens in the rain. If the shot is once in a lifetime, why not ?
    Passion and the drive should override everything. If not, then one should not take up photography at all.
    Just my 2 cts worth.
    http://www.avianwatchasia.org for some real bird photos
    My website : http://www.gorgeousfeathers.com

Quote Originally Posted by justarius
    Depends on the frame of opportunity. I will squeeze off a few frames with my mis-specified lens, then quickly change to a lens with a more suitable focal length, and if the moment is still present, shoot again.
    same here. the first move is motivated by on-the-spot instinct. the second move is recovery-and-remedy action.

one solution is to shoot in a team. one carry wide lens, the other carry long lens. ^_^

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by zaren
    i normally use a 32-96mm f2.8 zoom lens that works well in most circumstances for me. otherwise i'll "zoom with the feet" or shoot first and crop later.
    interesting, what lens would that be?

Quote Originally Posted by zaren

Very unsual focal length... what brand lens?

ha...zoom with your feet as a metre per sec? :P
    or faster. :lol:

that's still the best way if possible aye?

Quote Originally Posted by TME
    Very unsual focal length... what brand lens?
    Maybe he is using a 20-60 lens on a 10D/300D body (1.6 times cropping rate that makes it to 32-96mm)? ....... Though I never seen a 20-60 lens before, it would be a lens with relatively good range.

i photo is not just about the moment but rather the treatment of the moment od subject. so i'd change lens to give the moment the treatment i want. and if one spends enough time around the subject matter, there will be other spectacular shots waiting.

capture first. got time, change the lens.

Guess its ok if you use a zoom.....prime users will be affected most by this changing......