Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PG captures images of lions after submerging himself in watering hole for 3 mths

Default Re: PG captures images of lions after submerging himself in watering hole for 3 mths

Excellent pics and no telephoto lens used, that watering hole was tiny. I don't envy the man though, hook worm are no fun (been there done that) yet alone other parasites. Ahh the joys of shooting in Africa (don't I know those "joys" all too well)....
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

Default Re: PG captures images of lions after submerging himself in watering hole for 3 mths

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Excellent pics and no telephoto lens used, that watering hole was tiny. I don't envy the man though, hook worm are no fun (been there done that) yet alone other parasites. Ahh the joys of shooting in Africa (don't I know those "joys" all too well)....
    At least he didn't use UWA and stick the camera into the lion's nose just to get the "in your face" shots

The man did a good job. Why not just give him that accolade. In those places, sometimes it is just not possible to bring a big cage or do some elaborate things. I am sure he has don on some protective/waterproof wear. Anybody who has gone through NS would know that leeches will still find their way, not to mention the rest of those funny worms/parasites. If there are easier way to captures these images, I am sure he would have done so. As the magazine mentioned, these are never captured before shots. I would not dare to do such a thing. So applause to the man who dare to. He did well.

He could have used a tropical dry suit or even some of the rubber farmer john things that people use when standing in the water fishing... If he was trying to save $... i'm sure his medical costs easily exceeded what he could have spent on any other method to keep himself "dry".

Oh, and the article someone posted the other day about using "animal actors"... reminds me of that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12