Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'iPhone as Art' -- my take

Default 'iPhone as Art' -- my take

All this are taken by iPhone. I honestly think it produces better photograph then a camera. Of course, in terms of image quality, a camera is definitely still better.

I will upload more soon. Comments are appreciated.
    Last edited by ArcticFox; 19th March 2010 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Edited with larger photographs

Default Re: 'iPhone as Art' -- my take

Quote Originally Posted by ArcticFox View Post
    All this are taken by iPhone. I honestly think it produces better photograph then a camera. Of course, in terms of image quality, a camera is definitely still better.
    i usually look at 2 things in a photo: IQ and composition. Where does your statement (highlighted in bold) stands?

also, the pics are too small to judge IQ. iPhone can take pictures, and it doesn't differ itself with other cameraphones. Just my 2 cents worth.
    Fujifilm X-Pro2 Graphite, X-Pro1
    XF 14/2.8, 18/2, 23/2, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 60/2.4, 55-200/3.5-4.8

Quote Originally Posted by yrh0413 View Post
    i usually look at 2 things in a photo: IQ and composition. Where does your statement (highlighted in bold) stands?

also, the pics are too small to judge IQ. iPhone can take pictures, and it doesn't differ itself with other cameraphones. Just my 2 cents worth.
    What I was trying to say was, in my opinion, I think photographs taken on a iPhone are better if not as good compared to those taken on a camera.

I don't see how image quality is that important. I will have bigger photographs up next time.

All this are taken by iPhone. I honestly think it produces better photograph then a camera.
    that depends on the photographer, not the equipment.

and i don't know, i don't see anything fantastic here, to be blunt.

I use an iphone 3GS personally... but i think a Sony Ericsson camera phone takes better pictures.

iPhone just has a lot of fancy editing tools.

and about ur statement that it takes better pictures than a camera, sorry.. even my 6 yr old Canon 3mp compact camera takes better pictures.
    You Need Some Madness In Life To Stay Sane
    http://emuted.multiply.com

What I was trying to say was, in my opinion, I think photographs taken on a iPhone are better if not as good compared to those taken on a camera.

I don't see how image quality is that important. I will have bigger photographs up next time.

And how can u think image quality is NOT that important? isnt the quality of the picture.. makes the picture.. errr nicer?
    You Need Some Madness In Life To Stay Sane
    http://emuted.multiply.com

like #03

camera is for taking photo... right? for a photo... you'd want the best image quality. i find your statement rebutting each other, you think iphone produces better photograph than a camera, but then again, you said, camera's image quality is better... if a camera's image quality is better, what makes you think that an iphone takes better photograph?
    Why so serious... Son?

why does everyone get so worked up about what takes better pictures hahah
    just look at the pweet pictures and smile dammit..

He is posting here to get flamed.

Sorry to apple-fan boys, IPhone isn't that great a phone. I use a android phone and it beats IPhone in many areas (Not all areas and lazy to go into techincal details). It really sicks me recently when people makes comment about IPhone being some godly machine.

Anyway about photography, please compare by posting the photo in original size. Even a 3mp photo should look bigger than that alot. Also, the noise are so obvious in the photos taken, even after resizing smaller...
    Image quality does matters!!! Do a wedding photography with a handphone camera and see what happens to your business the next day... (If you don't get it, watch this http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661829)

Nice. Esp no.2. always want to take a similar one. is on my way to work.
    perhaps next time try another camera. u will get a different feel out of it.

Simple, some ppl shoot with 1DS , 1Dmk2...etc and produce shots like this. Thats why they got so worked up when a puny phone cam beats their pro dslr.

Not siding anyone here. Just something I have observed at times.

Don't say too much, just flame....

Sensitive topic should be flamed. I'm developing this hobby of visiting possible flamed threads

I think the point is the iPhone (and other smartphones) can take decent pictures, and there are good photo editing/manipulations apps, so one can complete the picture taking, development and upload all from one device, which is fantastic.

Having said that, the composition is really where the photographer comes in, IQ will only carry it so far!

Not hijacking the thread, here is a pic I took from my iPhone while traveling

Last edited by kartiq; 17th March 2010 at 11:59 AM.

TS is making a clearer stand than his first post.
    Think this should go into alternative photography...
    But I still don't think IPhone camera are that great. Samsung got loads of better camera phone from my POV.
    Although, composition is important. But it also means the type of photos you are taking is limited and most photos need to be heavily post processed after taken using a camera phone. It's limition on the hardware side to perform. Its the same as IPhone, They use normal hardware and program the software to help the app run faster. But in return, the phone cannot multitask. Windows mobile can multitask but will force close programs if available ram memory falls below 100mb etc etc.
    Last edited by wootsk; 17th March 2010 at 04:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by reaper3075 View Post
    And how can u think image quality is NOT that important? isnt the quality of the picture.. makes the picture.. errr nicer?
    The image quality I am referring to is the technical aspect (i.e. a DSLR image quality is better than phones.)

Quote Originally Posted by Wurdelak View Post
    camera is for taking photo... right? for a photo... you'd want the best image quality.
    Well, I guess I have been misleading. The image quality that this iPhone is providing was sufficient for me to express what I have wanted. Of course, it would have been better if it had been taken with a camera. But, hey, I am not going to make any large print.

i find your statement rebutting each other, you think iphone produces better photograph than a camera, but then again, you said, camera's image quality is better... if a camera's image quality is better, what makes you think that an iphone takes better photograph?
    Image quality doesn't equals to the artistic quality of a photograph. I asked myself, if the photographs had been taken with my camera, how much better would it have been? And it's the fun and satisfaction I get from taking it from a phone. Sort of like using a Lomo or film camera. It's blur, not exactly well focus. But, somehow serves the purpose. Anyway, I did not sharpen it at all. The only post production done is to the tone and some effect all done on the phone using Photoshop Mobile.

To clear it up, I am not a apple-fan boy. I have not tried any other phones before, I am just showing phones can be good too. I don't even own an iPhone, it infact belongs to my parent. These photographs are taken when I went out with them.

I am no pro here, just sharing. Thanks.
    Last edited by ArcticFox; 19th March 2010 at 07:05 PM.

you guys are debating over the photo capability not of 2 dslrs, but between 2 different things that are intended for 2 different functions. seriously?

Not bad, considering using Iphone only..

I like my iphone due to wat it can do for me overall as a phone and a smartphone and a cameraphone. I like my DLSR for wat it can do for me as well. In my opinion as i own both of them, both has its own good. Both cannot be compared to each other.

Alot of good reviews on the andriod, but i dun own one or used one... so i wouldn;t know.

the contradicition is quite thick here..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast