Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: No photography onboard SIA aircraft

Default Re: No photography onboard SIA aircraft

Quote Originally Posted by whizzard View Post
    Actually, I intended to just shoot the stewards and stewardesses at work and use that as a topic for my photo assignment homework.
    If they were busy serving food/drinks I find it a surprise they have bandwidth to bother with your photo taking activities.

Perhaps the steward/ess were not really working when you shoot, and thought you are the secret agent from their boss to get photo evidence on them skiving.

Yes, you are right. If he said, don't take my photo, I would definitely respect his decision and not do so and even delete those that I have taken if he wants it to be so.

But, he said no photographs on board the plane at all. So, I stop lor .....
    No offence I'll just be direct here: Please be more sensible.

Who are you and why should the steward trust you? Please consider the general safety of the public.

Your case reminds me of this guy at a US airport. He was carrying this super huge thingy. I can't remember what it was, some kinda musical instrument or whatever. He didn't want to check it in. And yet, if you looked at it, you'd know it was also ridiculous to hand carry it because of its super huge size. Yet he insisted, quarreled and even made life very difficult for a female airport staff. Her other staff got to step in to help out. Finally, the colleague told the passenger: "Look, she's only DOING HER JOB!"

Yes, no photography is allowed on SQ flights. I'm surprised you (and some others here) didn't know this since you said you are a "loyal flyer of SQ". This No Photographer rule was enforced a few years ago as far as my own experience tells me. Maybe it was enforced even earlier.

I've looked at your pics. What were you trying to achieve? There's no meaning to it, either artistically or for the sake of photography. It looks more like voyeurism except that the stewardess was dressed up. Come on, stop giving the craps lament Oh what a pity, I wish to improve my skills in photography. There are many other ways to do that.

Sure, you can justify all you want that you are harmless blah blah.... But who are you? you're a nobody to SIA. If it's so easy, everyone can say I'm harmless and lurking around could be a real terrorist.

Why no photography on board a plane? That's a no brainer. This rule is being enforced in many places also eg shopping centers etc. For those who have little travel experience, or have traveled but too lazy to think much, here are some:

1. Terrorism. Photography is one means terrorists use to plan their stuffs. Nuff said.
    2. Using the photos for commercial purposes.
    3. Invasion of privacy/creating distractions among fellow passengers .

I can list more but please use a bit of the grey matter to help you get the answers.

I'm not sure why the caucasian got away with his flash photography. Did the steward see it? Perhaps not. If so, I'm sure he would have told him to stop taking pics also.

Sometimes, it's hard. It's not always so clear cut when photography is allowed. It's nothing to do with race or skin color.

So please don't be a simpleton and say "But I'm harmless and I want to learn my photography."

Quote Originally Posted by woofmy View Post
    haha... she should have bought it at the airport with those tampered proof plastic bag or check it in.

Imagine eating raw abalone abalone sashimi... yum!!!
    it's just cold. The abalone is cooked when it was canned.

i think it could be a case whereby TS has inadvertably included the air stewardess inside the pix and the male steward actually saw this. its his duty to "protect" the female stwardess as mentioned by some bro b4.

also, TS is sitting in biz class. those guys paid (or their company) 100% more than ecnomy class passenger for the facilities and also exclusivity. By snapping pictures all around, i guess the it is reasonable for the steward to take some form of action.
    My Flickr
    EOS 7D | BG-E7 | EF 85mm F1.8 | EF-S10-22 F3.5-4.5 | EF-S17-55 F2.8 | 430EXII

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi2 View Post
    Yes, no photography is allowed on SQ flights. I'm surprised you (and some others here) didn't know this since you said you are a "loyal flyer of SQ". This No Photographer rule was enforced a few years ago as far as my own experience tells me. Maybe it was enforced even earlier.
    Are you positive about this? Could the ruling have changed since those days? I just checked with my SO (current cabin crew) who has been in the industry for around 2 years - she says its only not allowed during take-off and landing when no other electronics are allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by ConnorMcLeod View Post
    it's just cold. The abalone is cooked when it was canned.
    oops... hehehe... maybe the security should dare her to eat it
    Fine print - Anything I posted is strictly my own point of view :)

This is service in business class.

Frankly speaking, the TS can easily launch a serious complaint to SIA for discrimination. Since you're a frequent flier on SQ, you have every single right to take shots in the plane as there is no written notice that photography is not allowed. I remember some years back after 9/11 someone in CS went to photograph inside of a cockpit and posted it on CS. Frankly speaking that person should be arrested and not you. Totally agree where you are coming from, but on the other hand you could have just sat in your seat and take the shots from there.

The ang moh on the other hand was not repremanded and yes, you have every right to ask. True it may cause a scene, but of course this can be asked much later in the flight with the chief steward.

Anyway, that is my opinion about the whole thing.

My opinion is that if you are taking photos of people at work, the most basic and first thing to do is ask for permission. Just like shooting people in the streets or others at work. You need to ask for permission. No one knows what you are up to and no one can verify what you are doing for sure.

If you want to take photos of people, ask. If you don't ask, and start shooting at close range and its very clear that you are shooting the same group of people, you'll make your subjects very uncomfortable. What's more, they are working and not at leisure. If they make a mistake because of you, are you going to be answerable? The steward has the right to stop you from taking photos simply because you did not ask for permission. Whatever reasons he gave you, he could just be trying to be diplomatic and not being in-your-face because, after all, he's still there to serve you on the flight. There's no need to make things nasty right?

You want to shoot people point blank, ask first.
    www.kelvinseet.com
    See the world through my eyes

Quote Originally Posted by sabee View Post
    Are you positive about this? Could the ruling have changed since those days? I just checked with my SO (current cabin crew) who has been in the industry for around 2 years - she says its only not allowed during take-off and landing when no other electronics are allowed.
    Yup. You got to check with him or her to what extent photography is allowed or disallowed.

Like I said, very often, there's no clear cut way to say it. It depends on how you are behaving and sometimes, what sort of camera you're using also.

If you are just whipping out a cam and want to take a few quick pics, without causing obstruction or distractions, of say your good friends/family, that's prob ok.

But if you are seated, and use your DSLR taking pics secretly like the TS did at air stewardesses and maybe interior of the plane, that's a different story. Yeah yeah... You could go on and on "I'm harmless", "I'm Mr Good Guy", etc etc. But there's no one to take your word as truth.

to the TS..
    try to give n take.. like a lot of other similar threads have said..
    yes, we may have the right to take photos..
    but when taking pics of human elements.. if they are not
    comfortable.. just dun take..
    the steward might not have put across the words to you correctly..
    but we dunno wat might have transpired.
    maybe the stewardess infomred the steward about someone taking pics of
    them .. and they are not comfortable with it ?

I'd like to hear SIA's response to this matter.

If I were the manager in charge, I want the full details. AND.... ask the TS to show me the pics he had been taking which prompted the steward to stop him.

Imagine... all the pics are of the SQ's air stewardesses while they were snapped unaware! And this happened while TS was seated, no flash, trigger, trigger, trigger.... and as he claimed, part of his so-called "photo assignment". What sort of impression do you get of a passenger with his DSLR, snapping secretly at so-called "stewardesses at work". "cheekopek?"

And he got the cheek to say he will try again this stunt the next time round. Oh man!!! I will feel paiseh for what he had done and he still dared to complain.

For those newbies, please understand what is meant by street photography/candid shots and what are repulsive shots devoid of photographic appreciation.

Come on, such people.... get a life. Respect rules. You're making your own life difficult (isn't time $$$? Especially since he's a banker? Whoa...) and for SIA. There are other more urgent and important matters to attend to. Be empathetic to the staff. First look at what you're trying to do onboard a plane before making a scene complaining why you cannot do this and that.

I was using a humble 5DII with a 35 1.4f. No grip, no flash. No cheeky shots either

Anyway, I asked to talk to that particular steward. When he came, he told me that photography of the flight service onboard the aircraft is not allowed, so in order not to create a scene (with 9/11, got to be very careful how one behaves on board an aircraft), I asked that he write his name, the flight number and the date on a piece of paper and hand that over to me.

Let's see what is the response from SIA. There goes my photo assignment topic. Got to think of another topic.
    how about asking nightmare to pose for you in sia uniform? he can do cheeky poses. he may even pay you.

I'd like to hear SIA's response to this matter.

If I were the manager in charge, I want the full details. AND.... ask the TS to show me the pics he had been taking which prompted the steward to stop him.

Imagine... all the pics are of the SQ's air stewardesses while they were snapped unaware! And this happened while TS was seated, no flash, trigger, trigger, trigger.... and as he claimed, part of his so-called "photo assignment". What sort of impression do you get of a passenger with his DSLR, snapping secretly at so-called "stewardesses at work". "cheekopek?"

And he got the cheek to say he will try again this stunt the next time round. Oh man!!! I will feel paiseh for what he had done and he still dared to complain.

For those newbies, please understand what is meant by street photography/candid shots and what are repulsive shots devoid of photographic appreciation.

Come on, such people.... get a life. Respect rules. You're making your own life difficult (isn't time $$$? Especially since he's a banker? Whoa...) and for SIA. There are other more urgent and important matters to attend to. Be empathetic to the staff. First look at what you're trying to do onboard a plane before making a scene complaining why you cannot do this and that.
    There lies the main problem, the highlighted part is so subjective and has been debated countless times.

For me, I guess candid shots are fine, I'll be prepared to stop and/or delete my shots if asked by the people affected. Others might say that we are not legally obliged to do so, but I personally think there no shot that is so unmissable that we need to make a scene. This applies not only to the plane, but I guess for anywhere else.

You can take photos, but you can't shoot
    It is the camera, not the photographer.
    my flickr - adamloh.com

They never had any problem with me taking photos, maybe because those are my legs, not the air-hosts!

It is the camera, not the photographer.
    my flickr - adamloh.com

My fren owns a bakery shop. She told me at one time a fella was holding a DSLR directly outside her shop and obviously was taking shots into her shop. She went and asked the guy not to take photos as he does not have the permission to do so....the fella just ignored her (as tho she was invisible) and continued shooting. She did not do anything after that but was angry.

So I told her, if next time such photographer wannabies were to do that ignoring her after being asked nicely, just take put some butter/oil on her fingers and smear it directly onto his lens. And use the hp to take some shots of him to post on clubsnap.
    Last edited by snowspeeder; 15th March 2010 at 06:22 PM. Reason: add more info

I do agree that it is about give and take. As a photographer, one needs to be flexible. If the situation does not permit you to do a couple of quick shots. Just put away your cam and enjoy the inflight entertainment. As a passenger, I would have been annoyed if the one sitting within my vicinity keeps snapping his camera. As a customer, if the flight attendant offers a reasonable explaination and there is no loss suffered, just accept it and move on. Why is there a need to note names? There are loads of other photo subjects/assignments/opportunities. I would not bother to even waste my time writing such mudane things wanting an explanation. What are you hoping to get out of it, a free inflight meal?

I have travelled with a number of airlines around the world and seen a fair share of flight attendants and passengers disputes. I do appreciate the flight attendants being able to take charge of the situation during the flight.

No offence I'll just be direct here: Please be more sensible.

Who are you and why should the steward trust you? Please consider the general safety of the public.

Your case reminds me of this guy at a US airport. He was carrying this super huge thingy. I can't remember what it was, some kinda musical instrument or whatever. He didn't want to check it in. And yet, if you looked at it, you'd know it was also ridiculous to hand carry it because of its super huge size. Yet he insisted, quarreled and even made life very difficult for a female airport staff. Her other staff got to step in to help out. Finally, the colleague told the passenger: "Look, she's only DOING HER JOB!"

I've looked at your pics. What were you trying to achieve? There's no meaning to it, either artistically or for the sake of photography. It looks more like voyeurism except that the stewardess was dressed up. Come on, stop giving the craps lament Oh what a pity, I wish to improve my skills in photography. There are many other ways to do that.

Sure, you can justify all you want that you are harmless blah blah.... But who are you? you're a nobody to SIA. If it's so easy, everyone can say I'm harmless and lurking around could be a real terrorist.

Why no photography on board a plane? That's a no brainer. This rule is being enforced in many places also eg shopping centers etc. For those who have little travel experience, or have traveled but too lazy to think much, here are some:

1. Terrorism. Photography is one means terrorists use to plan their stuffs. Nuff said.
    2. Using the photos for commercial purposes.
    3. Invasion of privacy/creating distractions among fellow passengers .

I can list more but please use a bit of the grey matter to help you get the answers.

I'm not sure why the caucasian got away with his flash photography. Did the steward see it? Perhaps not. If so, I'm sure he would have told him to stop taking pics also.

Sometimes, it's hard. It's not always so clear cut when photography is allowed. It's nothing to do with race or skin color.

So please don't be a simpleton and say "But I'm harmless and I want to learn my photography."
    Wow, thanks for your most direct discourse!

As much as I appreciate your directness and impassioned reply, perhaps you should learn to temper your words with restrain and some reflection. One should not start calling others names when you hardly know me to accuse me of "voyeurism", "use a bit of grey matter", "simpleton", to name a few, much as I have not subscribed to any name calling (of the steward or any other CSers who replied) in any of my replies in this thread. And no, I won't call you names either. Oh man, I nearly missed this in post #71, now I am a "cheekopek" too!

Its precisely because I do fly quite a bit that I am confused that there is a no photography policy on SQ flights. In the past, I have taken photos before and the attendant has allowed me to do so. In fact, in my flight to London last Dec, the steward even came and offered to take photos of me and my family. You mentioned that based on your experience (and I give you the benefit of doubt on your experience), "Yes, no photography is allowed on SQ flights". Is that a statement of fact or an assumption?

My case is very dissimilar to the one you mentioned as I handled the situation with civility and dignity. In none of my posts did I mention or imply that I created any commotion or questioned the steward but you may have made that assumption in drawing a parallel between my situation and the one you experienced. Its qualitatively and contextually dissimilar. At no point did I make a scene or argue .... he said to stop and I stopped but asking for the steward's name in a calm and measured manner is hardly making a scene and I am sure you would not jump into the conclusion that I threatened him as that didn't happen as well. Since I was unsure of the policy, I had no grounds to counter his response other than to comply. But, that doesn't mean that I can't and shouldn't clarify this with SIA. It will clear my confusion on this matter for sure.

Thanks for your critic of my photos. I have much more to learn. But, there's really no need to twist the photos into what they are not i.e. voyeurism.

Its good to have passion but its also wise to bridle your passion with some reflection.
    Last edited by whizzard; 15th March 2010 at 09:15 PM.

we need to draw a line between what is acceptable and public nuisance.

acceptable is posing for a couple of shots.

public nuisance is like sticking a 300mm f2.8 lens up your ass.

Quote Originally Posted by adamadam View Post
    They never had any problem with me taking photos, maybe because those are my legs, not the air-hosts!

This is the business class on A380 or one of the newer planes.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast