Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: No photography onboard SIA aircraft

Default Re: No photography onboard SIA aircraft

Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    "Excuse me but I am a Solitaire PPS Club member and I can do anything I want..."

Problem solved.
    HaHahah ..... no, that's the easy way out.

You know what they say about PPS ..... Problem Passenger Service. Ask any SQ attendants LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by whizzard View Post
    Anyway, there was also a Caucasian who took photos with a DSLR with his flash and I don't think he was told not to do so. I hope there's no discrimination by SIA stewards.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

well I guess there's nothing wrong with taking photos aboard the aircraft, but I would like to think that the steward has a personal right whether he wants his photo taken or not. for example if you were at a restaurant, it seems to be a little strange to be taking photos of the waiters. Perhaps just simply asking and explaining that you had an assignment would do the trick!

Quote Originally Posted by andretheng View Post
    well I guess there's nothing wrong with taking photos aboard the aircraft, but I would like to think that the steward has a personal right whether he wants his photo taken or not. for example if you were at a restaurant, it seems to be a little strange to be taking photos of the waiters. Perhaps just simply asking and explaining that you had an assignment would do the trick!
    Yes, you are right. If he said, don't take my photo, I would definitely respect his decision and not do so and even delete those that I have taken if he wants it to be so.

But, he said no photographs on board the plane at all. So, I stop lor .....

ah I see, that shouldn't be the case then. looking to see SIA's reply as well.

Yes, you are right. If he said, don't take my photo, I would definitely respect his decision and not do so and even delete those that I have taken if he wants it to be so.

Stand your ground as we know subtly that SQ tends to treat ang mo a little more attention to our own people...I see this common in economy class and sometimes in business class...

Also update us any details from SQ...

I believe it's more of a problem of TS snapping pictures of the steward/stewardess rather than the usual picture taking of their own family/friends or the view outside.
    I'm pretty sure most people will be furious or unhappy to have their photos taken without their consent.
    Also, we cannot compare the Ang Moh to TS unless both of them taking the same subjects..
    Furthermore, we don't know for sure what he's snapping..
    So, let's just not be too sour about it.

Because of this statement, I'm curious about their reply as well..
    There shouldn't be anything wrong with taking pictures on planes.
    No such rules.. unless taking off and landing of course..

I was onboard a silkair flight although its not SQ. But silkair's procedure is almost the same as SQ. They are together for those who don't know.

I was on a flight from KUL to SIN.. I took out my small compact camera instead and start shooting. I film down the takeoff and landing too.

The stewardess didnt really care what u shoot. As long as not shooting them. You are fine.
    SAMSUNG HMX- H100
    Videography :)

were you taking photo of crew doing their inflight service or were you shooting out of the window?

I never had any issue shooting out of the window, I could not be bothered about any of the crew though

doesnt happens to me on my last trip last month qwith SQ. The stewardess even saw me holding the cam and snannping away happily....

Maybe its the person not the policy... some ppl are more fussy and bossy

I used my D 90 with my 18-200mm throughout my flight, taking pics out of the window, of my friends, and not a word of protest.
    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

couple of possibilities here...

I assume you are flying business class and not in economy class and shoot the service in the business class.

From the few pix you have posted, I think it was quite obvious you are trying to document the in-flight service, thus got the crew worked up on it

normally in these kind of situations, they have the right to ask you to stop shooting but I believe the steward did not clarify the issue.

you should have asked for permission to shoot as I bet you would not like if I come to your office and started taking pictures of you working at your desk without your permission.

Or, it could there is someone important in the business class who started to feel uncomfortable with you pointing your camera around the cabin.

After being stopped, you could have asked to talk to the chief steward to clarify the situation and ask for permission to continue to shoot. At least you know the actual reason why you are not allowed.
    Fine print - Anything I posted is strictly my own point of view :)

I think this might be the reason that they stopped you, the lady staff has a very creative way to clip her pen

Here are very rare few shots I managed to snap .....

Maybe people were sleeping, and you might be disturbing their sleep?

Maybe the steward wants to prevent guys from unnecessarily taking photos of stewardess?

Maybe some stewardess is not comfortable with you taking so many photos of them?

I've a family member who flies with SIA. Trust me when I say that there are lots of weird people on board... And the steward, being a guy, is the one 'responsible' for the stewardess' safety... telling you 'no photography on board' is just a nicer way of saying 'you've taken enough photos of ________'.

I experienced that on board a SQ flight as well, on my way from Singapore to Melbourne. I was arriving in Melbourne when I saw the sunrise out from the window. I took out my camera and was about to take some pictures when one air stewardess came to me and exclaimed that electronic devices are not allowed to be switched on during flight. I explained to her that it's just a camera with no transmitting capability, unlike those of laptops. She still insisted I switched my camera off for the safety of other passengers.

Quote Originally Posted by woofmy View Post
    couple of possibilities here...

I assume you are flying business class and not in economy class and shoot the service in the business class.

From the few pix you have posted, I think it was quite obvious you are trying to document the in-flight service, thus got the crew worked up on it

normally in these kind of situations, they have the right to ask you to stop shooting but I believe the steward did not clarify the issue.

you should have asked for permission to shoot as I bet you would not like if I come to your office and started taking pictures of you working at your desk without your permission.

Or, it could there is someone important in the business class who started to feel uncomfortable with you pointing your camera around the cabin.

After being stopped, you could have asked to talk to the chief steward to clarify the situation and ask for permission to continue to shoot. At least you know the actual reason why you are not allowed.
    Agree with that.

Many of us have the experience of shooting out of the windows, that's pretty fine during cruising time. But I doubt many of us have actually shot an in-flight service or steward/stewardess.

The steward might be wrong at stopping you without giving any reason, but you are taking SIA's in-house photos within their "private premises"... which is quite debatable.
    思斌的部落格 - szeping.com
    Wedding/Event Photography - 10eyesGallery.com

Quote Originally Posted by kaxdd View Post
    I experienced that on board a SQ flight as well, on my way from Singapore to Melbourne. I was arriving in Melbourne when I saw the sunrise out from the window. I took out my camera and was about to take some pictures when one air stewardess came to me and exclaimed that electronic devices are not allowed to be switched on during flight. I explained to her that it's just a camera with no transmitting capability, unlike those of laptops. She still insisted I switched my camera off for the safety of other passengers.
    Was that during landing period?

Some safety measures are a bit "too much" for many of us, but we have to respect the authorities for empowering them as to ensure our own safety. I have seen a lady throwing off her canned abalone and shark fin (as there are "liquids" inside the can) at security gantry.

The lady even challenged the security: "It's real one la~ I can open up and eat now!"

思斌的部落格 - szeping.com
    Wedding/Event Photography - 10eyesGallery.com

Quote Originally Posted by szeping View Post
    Was that during landing period?

Some safety measures are a bit "too much" for many of us, but we have to respect the authorities for empowering them as to ensure our own safety. I have seen a lady throwing off her canned abalone and shark fin (as there are "liquids" inside the can) at security gantry.

The lady even challenged the security: "It's real one la~ I can open up and eat now!"

haha... she should have bought it at the airport with those tampered proof plastic bag or check it in.

Imagine eating raw abalone abalone sashimi... yum!!!
    Fine print - Anything I posted is strictly my own point of view :)

Quote Originally Posted by kaxdd View Post
    Looks like film cameras (the older ones that do not use batteries) are not dead!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast