Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12347 ... LastLast

Thread: No photography onboard SIA aircraft

Default Re: No photography onboard SIA aircraft

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    The steward mentioned that the photography that is not allowed is specifically "Shooting the Flight service"... meaning the steward and stewardess at work... that is touchy I guess.
    I think it really depends who the Inflight Supervisor is and how flexible he/she is.

Aiyoh, I was just a harmless, incognito passenger taking photos. Didn't get myself drunk, nor walked all over the place in an unruly manner, disturbed the peace of other passengers, etc.

Anyway, I have a photo of him, albeit in the background, gesturing to stop me from taking photos. Will post it later.

Quote Originally Posted by whizzard View Post
    As I am into photography, I would like to advocate that both DSLR or PNS should be the same; both are cameras. So, its either no photography or photography allowed and that should be made clear and impartially implemented to all passengers regardless of colour.

Plse don't let them tell you that you are not allowed because you are using DSLR but if you are using a PNS, M4/3 or a Leica, that is allowed.

Don't let them discriminate ..... its either no photography or photography allowed.
    maybe to us, but to the average person... what might seem a little more 'intrusive'

this:

or this:

i was once at a biking competition, pulled out my 1d + 70-200 and the security screwed me over, eventhough the sign said "no proffesional photography" and im not proffesional.. haha meanwhile my friend sitting next to me whipped out his g9 and snapped away without an issue... strange how the world works

Quote Originally Posted by rgy1993 View Post
    maybe to us, but to the average person... what might seem a little more 'intrusive'

this:

or this:

i was once at a biking competition, pulled out my 1d + 70-200 and the security screwed me over, eventhough the sign said "no proffesional photography" and im not proffesional.. haha meanwhile my friend sitting next to me whipped out his g9 and snapped away without an issue... strange how the world works
    Wah, what a big lens on the D200. Mine was only a teeny weeny 35 mm wor ......

i have no problem too..

be it, SQ, Qantas, Emirates, BA, etc...
    Stress Man @ work... :bigeyes:

Here are very rare few shots I managed to snap .....

The steward is the one in the background ..... his finger started pointing towards me when he saw me whilst he was still carrying out his inflight service. Aiyah ...... I was just taking photos only ..... not dangerous, drunk or abusive ..... chill brudder
    Last edited by whizzard; 14th March 2010 at 11:48 PM.

Could it be that the steward thinks that you are take pixs to be uses as training materials for other airlines ?

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    The steward mentioned that the photography that is not allowed is specifically "Shooting the Flight service"... meaning the steward and stewardess at work... that is touchy I guess.
    Actually, what he is worried is that you work for a competitor airline and take pictures of how the service is done and use it for training purposes. Quite crap but it is has been done before by other airline
    Life Short
    Climb Hard, Climb High

Quote Originally Posted by elcap View Post
    Actually, what he is worried is that you work for a competitor airline and take pictures of how the service is done and use it for training purposes. Quite crap but it is has been done before by other airline
    All he needs to do is to ask me why am I taking the photos ..... I'll be pleased to reply and he can make an informed decision. Anyway, I am not intelligent enough to work for any other airline. If I need to "spy", I will use PNS or a small unobtrusive camera to record everything.

Anyway, there was also a Caucasian who took photos with a DSLR with his flash and I don't think he was told not to do so. I hope there's no discrimination by SIA stewards ..... afterall, we locals will always try to support local business as much as possible.

Hmmm never encountered this before... normally they are okay with me shooting in the aircraft.

Could you post SIA's reply when they get back to you? Think many bros are interested to know why no photography was allowed... thanks
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II | 24-105 f/4 L | 70-200 f/4 IS L | 580EX II

Crux of it is ... ASK PERMISSION ... chances are, they will oblige.

It applies with street photography as well. If you don't in the wrong places, you might just get bashed up. Nobody knows your so-called 'intent' if you never make it known to them.

Quote Originally Posted by mazatello View Post
    Hmmm never encountered this before... normally they are okay with me shooting in the aircraft.

Could you post SIA's reply when they get back to you? Think many bros are interested to know why no photography was allowed... thanks
    Just a question, do you shoot with a DSLR because it appears that someone who uses a DSLR may appear "less harmless" than a PNS.

I will post their reply when I get it.
    Last edited by whizzard; 15th March 2010 at 12:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KangS View Post
    Crux of it is ... ASK PERMISSION ... chances are, they will oblige.

It applies with street photography as well. If you don't in the wrong places, you might just get bashed up. Nobody knows your so-called 'intent' if you never make it known to them.

KangS, I respect your reply.

However, I think that it is our right to "witness" a public scenario, whether it is by way of photography or with our eyes. They are not doing anything that should hidden or be shy of public scrutiny and hence should not be fearful of it being documented. Millions of people have taken SQ flights and can recount how SQ conduct their service on board, etc. It's not a trade secret that can't be observed, written or even filmed as some of the clips on Youtube would show. If I am a competitor and want to emulate SQ's services, I would just hire the trainer(s) or some very experienced stewards/stewardesses. But, its not that easy ..... the culture of each organisation takes time to be established, perfected and implemented.

BTW, I am just an investment banker who is trying to learn photography, not a competitor. In fact, I am a loyal member of SIA and will only fly SQ unless I am flying from another country to a 3rd country where there's no SQ flight.

We need to enhance our service culture so that we can truly be great service providers. SIA is an example of great service culture but sometimes, greatness can also fall short as we are but humans afterall.
    Last edited by whizzard; 15th March 2010 at 01:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by whizzard View Post
    Just a question, do you shoot with a DSLR because it appears that someone who uses a DSLR may appear "less harmless" than a PNS.
    Yup, I shoot with my SLR. In fact, some of the friendlier cabin crew oblige for pictures with us sometimes.

Perhaps the particular steward you encountered was having a big feet day.
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II | 24-105 f/4 L | 70-200 f/4 IS L | 580EX II

Quote Originally Posted by mazatello View Post
    Yup, I shoot with my SLR. In fact, some of the friendlier cabin crew oblige for pictures with us sometimes.

Perhaps the particular steward you encountered was having a big feet day.
    Thks for the feedback ..... yes, perhaps you are right. Afterall, we are all only humans.

Just my bad luck then. I will try again in my next flight

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    Probably so ..... but I want to learn to shoot people in their natural state and was practising this on board. Defintely didn't carry my camera around or to the toilet, etc hahahaha

Well, we meet all sorts, eh?

just wanna clarify.

you mentioned discrimination against you using a DSLR while the PnS will allowed, was the caucasian specifically shooting at the stewardess/in flight service like you were doing? or was he shooting himself/friends/the food that was served only? btw i like the shots you posted, just a pity the faces of the stewardess were not in focus. too thin a DOF used haha...

"Another Caucasian in an adjacent seat was also shooting away but I don't think he got stopped and he was using his in-built flash (which was more intrusive) whilst I didn't even use any flash. "

"Plse don't let them tell you that you are not allowed because you are using DSLR but if you are using a PNS, M4/3 or a Leica, that is allowed."
    A7R3|V12|V15|FE28|MS17|MS35|MS50|50lux|50C|50Artis an|FD85L|FE85|90 cron|
    Σ24|35L|Σ50|135L|70-200G2

Quote Originally Posted by ricleo View Post
    just wanna clarify.

you mentioned discrimination against you using a DSLR while the PnS will allowed, was the caucasian specifically shooting at the stewardess/in flight service like you were doing? or was he shooting himself/friends/the food that was served only? btw i like the shots you posted, just a pity the faces of the stewardess were not in focus. too thin a DOF used haha...

"Another Caucasian in an adjacent seat was also shooting away but I don't think he got stopped and he was using his in-built flash (which was more intrusive) whilst I didn't even use any flash. "

"Plse don't let them tell you that you are not allowed because you are using DSLR but if you are using a PNS, M4/3 or a Leica, that is allowed."
    I don't know what he was shooting leh ..... don't think it was his friends as it appeared he was travelling alone. To be honest, I can't see what he was shooting, only saw his flash going off multiple times.

Yeah, I am still a learner ..... but I believe practice makes perfect. Got to shoot more! But didn't manage to as I got stopped just as I got started. And, I didn't even "spam" my shots by holding down on my shutter button for each scene because the shutter was quite "loud" to be fair. The shots you see are the ones I managed to take, no extra shots to "pick and choose".

"Excuse me but I am a Solitaire PPS Club member and I can do anything I want..."

Problem solved.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12347 ... LastLast