Page 1 of 8 1236 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 153

Thread: No photography onboard SIA aircraft

  1. #1
    Member whizzard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Bkt Timah
    Posts
    195

    Default No photography onboard SIA aircraft

    I just found out that photography is not allowed onboard a SIA aircraft.

    I was flying to Sydney earlier this week and decided to take some photos in the plane whilst I was at my seat. The steward came charging at me and gesturing rather rudely that photography is not alllowed onboard an aircraft.

    Wonder if anyone encountered the same? I wasn't even using a flash or intruding on any of the passengers' privacy. Sigh .....

  2. #2

    Default Re: No photography onboard SIA aircraft

    when was this? during takeoff?

  3. #3
    Member whizzard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Bkt Timah
    Posts
    195

    Default Re: No photography onboard SIA aircraft

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    when was this? during takeoff?
    After takeoff when they already started their inflight service.

    Mind you, I didn't even leave my seat to snap ..... sigh.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Land of the Teddy Bear
    Posts
    2,324

    Default Re: No photography onboard SIA aircraft

    This is strange.... first time i heard of this.....

  5. #5

    Default Re: No photography onboard SIA aircraft

    I didn't get that response. Instead, the air stewardess asked me if I am a professional!
    You can always write to SAA_Feedback@Singaporeair.com.sg citing your experience.
    Nikon D4 | AF-S 50mm 1.4G | AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G ED (2.9x) | AF-S VR 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED | SB900

  6. #6
    Senior Member limwhow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Life revolves arOnd East Coast
    Posts
    7,049

    Default Re: No photography onboard SIA aircraft

    Most strange.
    For many, taking a plane is an exciting experience.
    And they just want to record that experience.
    Well... unless the stewardess is very pretty and the TS is taking shots after shots of her... haha... just joking...

  7. #7

    Default Re: No photography onboard SIA aircraft

    strange, i was snapping during take-off, in the air and landing and didn't face any such interference and it was during my last 3 trips.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    487

    Default Re: No photography onboard SIA aircraft

    The only reason I can think of that they would disallow it would be during takeoff and landing - that thing about electronics 'interferring with aviation equipment' claim of airlines. But I've taken pictures during flights itself for years now and have never been stopped.

  9. #9
    Member/Tangshooter zaxh81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    4,339

    Default Re: No photography onboard SIA aircraft

    what were you shooting at? does your shot include other passengers on the plane?


  10. #10
    Moderator ed9119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,931
    Blog Entries
    26

    Default Re: No photography onboard SIA aircraft

    he must have been a shopping mall security guard before joining SIA
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

  11. #11

    Default Re: No photography onboard SIA aircraft

    Quote Originally Posted by whizzard View Post
    After takeoff when they already started their inflight service.

    Mind you, I didn't even leave my seat to snap ..... sigh.
    well, theoretically based on announcements you are not supposed to use electronics during take off and landing.

    other than that there is no reason to stop you from using the camera.. unless you have been taking cheeky pictures of air stewardesses er, bending over. but i doubt that was the case!

  12. #12

    Default Re: No photography onboard SIA aircraft

    I've never had problems taking pictures on a plane, in flight. I don't think there is a rule saying you can't do so, unless you were over some sort of "national interest" site, like the Pentagon or such.

  13. #13

    Default Re: No photography onboard SIA aircraft

    Nv had such issues on my last few flights, be it SIA or other airlines
    Playing with M43.

  14. #14
    Member whizzard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Bkt Timah
    Posts
    195

    Default Re: No photography onboard SIA aircraft

    Quote Originally Posted by limwhow View Post
    Most strange.
    For many, taking a plane is an exciting experience.
    And they just want to record that experience.
    Well... unless the stewardess is very pretty and the TS is taking shots after shots of her... haha... just joking...
    Actually, I intended to just shoot the stewards and stewardesses at work and use that as a topic for my photo assignment homework.


    Quote Originally Posted by zaxh81 View Post
    what were you shooting at? does your shot include other passengers on the plane?
    No, I wasn't explicitly shooting the other passengers ... if they were in my shots, they would be incidental/background as the main subjects were the stewards and stewardesses at work.

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    well, theoretically based on announcements you are not supposed to use electronics during take off and landing.

    other than that there is no reason to stop you from using the camera.. unless you have been taking cheeky pictures of air stewardesses er, bending over. but i doubt that was the case!
    Yeah, I am aware of that and hence decided only to shoot when the plane was cruising. Anyway, managed to snap only 5 photos before I was stopped.

    Another Caucasian in an adjacent seat was also shooting away but I don't think he got stopped and he was using his in-built flash (which was more intrusive) whilst I didn't even use any flash.

    Well, I have dropped a note to SIA already and waiting for their explanation.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    125'10.16"N 10350'11.01"E
    Posts
    1,052

    Default Re: No photography onboard SIA aircraft

    I have no such problem with Singapore Airline either. Perhaps the camera you were using told a different story.

  16. #16
    Member whizzard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Bkt Timah
    Posts
    195

    Default Re: No photography onboard SIA aircraft

    Quote Originally Posted by ArcticFox View Post
    I have no such problem with Singapore Airline either. Perhaps the camera you were using told a different story.
    I was using a humble 5DII with a 35 1.4f. No grip, no flash. No cheeky shots either

    Anyway, I asked to talk to that particular steward. When he came, he told me that photography of the flight service onboard the aircraft is not allowed, so in order not to create a scene (with 9/11, got to be very careful how one behaves on board an aircraft), I asked that he write his name, the flight number and the date on a piece of paper and hand that over to me.

    Let's see what is the response from SIA. There goes my photo assignment topic. Got to think of another topic.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    125'10.16"N 10350'11.01"E
    Posts
    1,052

    Default Re: No photography onboard SIA aircraft

    Quote Originally Posted by whizzard View Post
    I was using a humble 5DII with a 35 1.4f. No grip, no flash. No cheeky shots either

    Anyway, I asked to talk to that particular steward. When he came, he told me that photography of the flight service onboard the aircraft is not allowed, so in order not to create a scene (with 9/11, got to be very careful how one behaves on board an aircraft), I asked that he write his name, the flight number and the date on a piece of paper and hand that over to me.

    Let's see what is the response from SIA. There goes my photo assignment topic. Got to think of another topic.
    I guess it's not whether you are using a 5D or a 500D. But, rather you are using an DSLR.

  18. #18

    Default Re: No photography onboard SIA aircraft

    I think one of the Lucie award winners this year was taken on board of a flight.

  19. #19
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: No photography onboard SIA aircraft

    Quote Originally Posted by whizzard View Post
    Actually, I intended to just shoot the stewards and stewardesses at work and use that as a topic for my photo assignment homework.... Anyway, I asked to talk to that particular steward. When he came, he told me that photography of the flight service onboard the aircraft is not allowed,
    The steward mentioned that the photography that is not allowed is specifically "Shooting the Flight service"... meaning the steward and stewardess at work... that is touchy I guess.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 14th March 2010 at 10:48 PM.

  20. #20
    Member whizzard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Bkt Timah
    Posts
    195

    Default Re: No photography onboard SIA aircraft

    Quote Originally Posted by ArcticFox View Post
    I guess it's not whether you are using a 5D or a 500D. But, rather you are using an DSLR.
    As I am into photography, I would like to advocate that both DSLR or PNS should be the same; both are cameras. So, its either no photography or photography allowed and that should be made clear and impartially implemented to all passengers regardless of colour.

    Plse don't let them tell you that you are not allowed because you are using DSLR but if you are using a PNS, M4/3 or a Leica, that is allowed.

    Don't let them discriminate ..... its either no photography or photography allowed.

Page 1 of 8 1236 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •