Thread: Need help in selecting camera

Default Need help in selecting camera

Hi guys, need some help here. Thinking of getting a slightly higher end camera during IT show. Currently thinking of Sony A330, samsung nx10 or Olympus ep1. Need some advise on which is better for learners and have better image quality. All comments are appreciated! 

Deregistered

Default Re: Need help in selecting camera

Quote Originally Posted by Andymion View Post
    Hi guys, need some help here. Thinking of getting a slightly higher end camera during IT show. Currently thinking of Sony A330, samsung nx10 or Olympus ep1. Need some advise on which is better for learners and have better image quality. All comments are appreciated! 
    Firstly,the Oly EP1 is NOT a DSLR.It belongs to the Micro-Four Thirds system.I will recommend the Pentax K-x.Cheaper than all of the cameras you mentioned and better features also
    Last edited by cleonbus; 12th April 2010 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Spelling error

How much is the pentax kx and where can I get it?

If you are thinking of a A330, you might want to consider a Pentax Kx since they are about the same price range (~$750 for Pentax Kx with 18-55 kit lens); performance wise the Kx is around the region of a A550.
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxkx/

The Samsung NX10 is and unknown quantity at the moment
    http://www.dpreview.com/previews/SamsungNX10/
    It has a APS-C sized sensor as a major strength, and has the potential to leverage on the use of adapters to use other brand lenses. My doubts about it are that its a new concept that will need a lot of effort to push through. I would at least wait to see if Pentax (or another manufacturer) comes on board the same format before committing money. The risk is that sumsung looses interests (does not make money) and pulls off from the system.

EP1 is more of a small form factor interchangeable lens camera. The downsides are its smaller sensor in terms of a future road map. Of course if you are fine with what it can deliver, its packs a lot of punch for a small camera.

If you want optical view finder, APS-C sensor (and related performance), go for the DSLR.
    I would skip the NX10.
    The EP1 is a viable choice if you want something small and is comfortable with electronic view finders.

My few cents...
    Last edited by pinholecam; 13th March 2010 at 09:03 PM.

NX10 can use Pentax shutter release cable and flash, but dunno if flash can do PTTL.
    I dunno!!!
    It's banana-zero-neh. :)

I think its pretty unfair to just compare the price alone without factoring in the bundled freebies.

Pentax k-x is a very good value DSLR, cost around $780 for body and kit lens. But do note that the k-x does not come with memory card, nor even battery and charger. This is part of the reason why its able to sell for so cheaply. So factor in battery + charger it'll be around $830 (or more if u wanna buy a better charger). Havent add in memory card cost yet.

Sony A330 body and kit lens cost $899, but comes with battery and charger.
    Breakdown of the freebies:
    2 x 8GB memory stick $80
    Lowepro bag around $80
    50mm f1.8 lens $199 from shops
    LCD screen protector $10
    Tripod $30
    Drybox $20-30
    Basic DSLR course $80
    $100 Isetan shopping voucher (for students only)
    $100 Lens voucher (Im not 100% sure they will give this, since Students are getting the Isetan voucher.)

Memory stick, camera bag, LCD protector and drybox are a must, so u can add these cost into the pentax k-x too.

DSLR course and tripod is subjectable. But almost every photographer owns a tripod, its VERY useful.

Isetan voucher can be used to buy food and groceries, so this is as good as a $100 cash back.

50mm f1.8 lens is a very very useful lens, u will gonna love this.

So do take these into consideration when u r making ur decision. While the additional lens, tripod and vouchers are optional (but good to have), things like memory card, bag, LCD protector and drybox are what U MUST BUY when u purchase your camera, so these cost should be added into any other camera u are considering as well to assess the value.
    Last edited by android17; 13th March 2010 at 11:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by android17 View Post
    I think its pretty unfair to just compare the price alone without factoring in the bundled freebies.

Pentax k-x is a very good value DSLR, cost around $780 for body and kit lens. But do note that the k-x does not come with memory card, nor even battery and charger. This is part of the reason why its able to sell for so cheaply. So factor in battery + charger it'll be around $830 (or more if u wanna buy a better charger). Havent add in memory card cost yet.

2 x 8GB memory stick $80
    Lowepro bag around $80
    LCD screen protector $10
    Tripod $30
    Drybox $20-30
    Basic DSLR course $80
    $100 Lens voucher (Im not 100% sure they will give this, since Students are getting the Isetan voucher.)

Memory stick, camera bag, LCD protector and drybox are a must, so u can add these cost into the pentax k-x too.

DSLR course and tripod is subjectable. But almost every photographer owns a tripod, its VERY useful.

Isetan voucher can be used to buy food and groceries, so this is as good as a $100 cash back.

So do take these into consideration when u r making ur decision. While the additional lens, tripod and vouchers are optional (but good to have), things like memory card, bag, LCD protector and drybox are what U MUST BUY when u purchase your camera, so these cost should be added into any other camera u are considering as well to assess the value.
    No real need for a dry box if you own minimal equipment and shoot at least once a week IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    The EP1 is a viable choice if you want something small and is comfortable with electronic view finders.
    You can't use electronic view finder on EP1.

Quote Originally Posted by Cartman2000 View Post
    No real need for a dry box if you own minimal equipment and shoot at least once a week IMO.
    i feel its better to be safe than sorry. Dry cabinet is still optional, but the minimum should at least get a dry box.

Anyway its just $20-30 only, no reason not to get one...

True if you look at cost only, but don't forget that a Kx is comparable to a A550 which is bundled at $13xx.

Memory card is ~$16 per piece
    Batt + Charge : Maha charge + 4 Imedions $57
    Screen Prot : $10

The other stuff other than the 50/1.8 are not really that worth it. Easily outgrown and certainly better off getting better ones.

The 50/1.8 is probably the best thing thrown in.
    For Kx it will have to be a 50/1.4 (this is a well built lens) at ~$490 or the many manual focus 50/2 or 50/1.7 from $65 - $120)

Yes, A330 as bundled is 'cheaper' if the items bundled are included and a good consideration if the budget is absolute, but since the TS mentioned NX10 and EP1, he may hve some flexibility in the budget

Quote Originally Posted by android17 View Post

2 x 8GB memory stick $80
    Lowepro bag around $80
    LCD screen protector $10
    Tripod $30
    Drybox $20-30
    Basic DSLR course $80

Last edited by pinholecam; 14th March 2010 at 12:10 AM.

Smile Re: Need help in selecting camera

Hey guys, thanks for the replies so far. I've tested all 3 models at the IT show. I'm quite a noob at photography and is thinking to get a higher end to learn. The image quality of all 3 seems quite ok up to iso 800. Didn't try above tt though. I was attacted to the nx10 and ep1 cos of the size. But I got to say the a330 looks like a pretty good deal with all the freebies thrown in. However, I did want to get a camera tt produce reasonable quality photos too. Hence, wanted to ask you guys in terms of image quality and ease of upgrading lens which would be better?

Quote Originally Posted by Andymion View Post
    Hey guys, thanks for the replies so far. I've tested all 3 models at the IT show. I'm quite a noob at photography and is thinking to get a higher end to learn. The image quality of all 3 seems quite ok up to iso 800. Didn't try above tt though. I was attacted to the nx10 and ep1 cos of the size. But I got to say the a330 looks like a pretty good deal with all the freebies thrown in. However, I did want to get a camera tt produce reasonable quality photos too. Hence, wanted to ask you guys in terms of image quality and ease of upgrading lens which would be better?
    The main difference between the EP1 and a DSLR like the A330 is probably the size and the way you'd use it.
    For me, the main drawback of the EP1 is that the LiveView necessitates having to hold the camera away from my face, which I feel is another point of stability (right/left hand and head). So you can interchange lenses, but you can't really mount something heavy on an EP1 and expect to hold it steady.

But its small form factor is handy for travelling.
    This is something you have to consider before taking the plunge and buying one.
    Exploring! :)